Normal Topic Image Size (Read 855 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Image Size
Jan 2nd, 2006 at 7:46am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

The User Guide states: Quote:
An Image Box is a dynamic element that displays an image specified by the path and filename stored in the database field. When the record is displayed, Sesame displays the image in the confines of the image box you create. The image will be scaled to fit inside the box. (See Figure 23.)

What I would like to know is whether there is any way for me to control the size of an image that appears on my form.

The displayed image seems to always be a good deal smaller than my image box and I would like to see a larger image displayed.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Image Size
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 1:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Make the image box larger. Sesame will only scale down. So, if the image box is as large or larger than the original image, Sesame will show the image at original size.

It is recommended that you scale the images to the intended size outside of Sesame, in another program. Then, set the image box size in Sesame large enough that Sesame does not need to do any scaling. That way the image only needs to be scaled once. As opposed to being scaled and rescaled everytime it is viewed.

Scaling in Sesame has no permanent affect on the actual image size of the image file itself. It operates only on the displayed image.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 9:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I've gotten a little improvement in size by enlarging the image box; however, the image never fills the box and the precise position on the form is a real drudge to get right ... needing a lot of trial and error.

That seems to be because the picture never "fills" the element.  On "screen" the height of the box is 2.5".  In designer mode, the Height is shown as 167.

I tried modifying my picture height in .1 increments, starting at .1 - .2 - .3 - .4 and so on.  The maximum size of what I see in the image box seems to "cap out" at .3

There is always space (between the image and the image box) on the left, right and bottom sides.  The top is aligned with the top of the image box ... but only in preview mode.  When looking at the form, the top of the picture is not at the same height as my image box was when designed.

One thing that helps is that I never use a line around the image box, so that the picture doesn't look "out of whack" when viewing it in a "frame." 

I've gotten my CD collection picture pretty much the way I want it but just wish I had better control ... and hope that I'm not overlooking anything.  I use pictures in several applications.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 9:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Measure using pixels, not inches. Find out exactly how many pixels tall and wide your image is. Make the image box exactly that size in pixels. Change the box type for the image LE until you have the best fit -probably "Flat Box" is your best bet. Remember, Sesame can only make the image smaller. It cannot scale up. So making the image LE larger than the image will not increase the image size. To make the LE the correct size, use SDesigner to type in the precise numbers as opposed to using the mouse or keyboard to "drag" the sizing. If you are using a box type with a frame (as most are), there will be a small gap between the edge of the image and the outside edge of the LE. Lastly, color the flat box the same color as the form, so if you use a smaller image the box will not appear around it.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 10:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I am using "no box" and my background is the same color as the form, so that you don't see anything when there is no picture and when the focus is on anything but the picture you do not see a box around it.  (The box only shows when you click on the picture).

I think I tried what you suggested just that I did it in reverse because I didn't want to mess with my database.  It took me too long to get the picture "good enough."

But, I went into design mode and found that the image box measured 161 high x 144 wide (in pixels).

Then I modified my picture to 144 wide with a resulting 145 high in pixels.  I use "proportional" adjustment in my photo editor -- so I started with the width to be sure the height of the picutre would not exceed the height of the image box.

I saw no appreciaable difference of the picture on the form and, when clicked on, there was still substantial space on the sides and bottom.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 10:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Also remember that Sesame will scale the image proportionally. If the image box does not have the same aspect ratio as the image displayed, there will be extra space on the top/bottom or left/right.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 10:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

To tell you the truth I don't know much about aspect ratio, except that I haven't found anything in Sesame that would allow me to adjust it (not that I want to), but where would it be?

In the Photo Editor - right now I'm using MiscroSoft Express It - you are simply allowed to check "maintain proportions" and that ensures that if I change the height, the width is adjusted accordingly so that the picture is not distorted, i.e. I don't wind up with a tall thin face, or a short wide one. 

That's about as much as I know.

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 2:33am
Print Post Print Post  
That pretty much sums up aspect ratio. It is the ratio between the vertical and horizontal sides. So if your image is 200x300 - the aspect ratio is 0.666... If you increase the height and you do not want the image to stretch you have to increase the width by that proportion.

Sesame only scales down, to make an image fit in the allowed box (decided by the designer of the application) and it scales down proportionally. It decides which side "drives" the scaling by determining which side will need to change the least to allow the whole image to fit.

You do not "adjust" the aspect ratio - the image has an aspect ratio built-in (width / height or height / width). Sesame preserves the existing aspect ratio when scaling.

IP Logged