Normal Topic TAB PAGES - NAMES & ELEMENT REMOVAL (Read 710 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

TAB PAGES - NAMES & ELEMENT REMOVAL
Jan 5th, 2006 at 5:42am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I made a copy of an application I designed and am modifying it for someone else.

While working with Tab Pages,  I noticed their names were TabPage, TabPage0, TabPage1, etc.  (Just to be clear, I am not referring to the label that appears on the bottom of each tab page.  That works just as I would expect and presents no problem).

I assumed that I could change the name like I could for any other element so, in the Property Editor I assigned a more meaningnful name such as  TabPageLegal and clicked on the right arrow to "set" it.  Although the correct Tab Page had the focus, when I looked in the Property Editor, nothing changed.  You probably know from my other messages, that I'm a "clicker."  lol  So, when nothing happened, I clicked again.  The second time, I get a message that says "Error: Cannot rename Element.  An Element named TabPageLegal already exists on this Form."  Nowhere on the form do I see an "extra" element named TabPageLegal. 

Now, I had another question and have a feeling that it may partially answer my first one.   I noticed that the first time I went to "Change Navigation Order" one of the elements listed was TabPageJunk; however, I could not see it anywhere.  The next time, I saw TabPageLegal .... so it seems to me that the name is being applied to the "set" of all tab pages.

If that assumption is correct then I now know how to change the name of the tab "set" but I am then taken right back to the question I had in the first place.

Can I change the name of the TABPAGE and, if so, how? 

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Re: TAB PAGES - NAMES & ELEMENT REMOVAL
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 5:58am
Print Post Print Post  
I remember I had to do that before.

I am not sure about the name, but I know that you can change the LABEL for each of the tabs.  Click on the Tab like you would for any other element.  Then just change the label and click on the arrow at the right.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 6:51am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

Thanks for the feedback obfusc88, but I am able to change the label of the tab page without any problem.  It's the NAME that I want to change and have not been able to do so.   Nor could I find anything in the User Guide that provided any help. 

Although, I did discover what that R was for - that I always just ignored:  the box you use to change the name of a "set" of elements.

At least I'm loinin sumptin .... so I wont be a complete fool when I attend Erika's training.  Speaking of which:

ONLY 18 DAYS LEFT TO GO!!!!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 2:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

Yes, when you assigned the name of TabPageLegal it was assigned to the Tab Group itself.

Currently you can not change the name of a TabPage. Why do you want to change the name?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 3:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray -

I make a lot of use of tab pages because I think they are great.  I want to change the name of the tab page for two reasons (that I've come across so far).  

First, I have found that consistency between choosing the element label and the LE and field names has been a great help in programming and form redesign.  When I am writing a programming statement, I can see the label right in front of me and that makes writing the programming much easier.

(Just so I don't catch "flack" on this one, I know there is a big difference between what is acceptable on a label and what is acceptable in an LE or  field name.  So, for example, I might have a form LE label of Mtge/Lien or Mtge - Lien and I will name the LE and the field MtgeLien).

So now when I look at the Property Viewer I see:

Label:  Mtge/Lien
    Name: MtgeLien
    Bound To:  MtgeLien    (rather than something like LE6 or    Mortgage)

So again, my first reason, is simply to be "consistent" in what I assign to Labels, LE Names and Field Names.

Second - and far more important to me - is to make it easier to Set Navigation Order. When I go to "select an element group" I see something like:

TabPage11
TabPage3
TabPage2
TabPage
TabPage0
TabPage1
TabPage4
TabPage12

If I want to change the navigation order of the Mtge/Lien Tab, I have to keep clicking on each of the different tab pages till I find the right one.  Since I use a lot of tab pages, this is a waste of time for me and upsets my "rhythm."  I want to be able to go directly to TabPageMtgeLien.

Hope I've explained it clearly because I would like to see the option of renaming tab pages in an update.  Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 9:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If I want to change the navigation order of the Mtge/Lien Tab, I have to keep clicking on each of the different tab pages till I find the right one.  Since I use a lot of tab pages, this is a waste of time for me and upsets my "rhythm."  I want to be able to go directly to TabPageMtgeLien.

I like this idea a lot.  Being able to rename the tab pages sounds like something one would expect to be able to do, as with element names, labels, and field names.  And a designer-named tab would be much easier to find in a list of tabs when one wants to re-design/edit/program it.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged