Normal Topic Icon files for Linux install (Read 1049 times)
Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Icon files for Linux install
Jan 6th, 2006 at 8:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is it just me or does the linux version of Sesame come without icons?  Shocked

There are none in the downloads and Sesame uses the generic icons in the system tray.

In the the Windows download there are .ico files for this but it looks like no one did anything for linux. I think that it would look more professional with its own icons. Linux icon are either in the .png or .xpm formats. Wink

I looked into converting the .ico files but it looks like more trouble than it is worth.  Undecided

Frederick Henderson*Radio HRGS*Roatan*Bay Islands*Honduras

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Icon files for Linux install
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 8:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Linux does not have a singular desktop. Some people run Gnome, some run KDE, some run any of the other +/- 200 desktops. Most of the desktops use unique and non-uniform means of implementing icons (and some use no means at all). We could, include the images that the icons use, but the end user would still have to setup their own actual usable icons.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 8:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
I understand your situation with the linux desktops out there. It would be nice to have the icons files so we can set it up.

However, is there not a way that you can have your icon displayed in the task bar and at the top of the window instead of the generic one? Almost all of the applications that I have have a icon file that the program looks a certain place to display it. I am guessing that you could do this as well. With the executable would be the best place but you could also define an environment variable to let the use put it else where.

Thanks for your help and time!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 9:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Actually the code to put the Sesame icon up on the left corner of the windows is sitting in Linux Sesame - commented out, for a few years now. Just looked at. I'll get Ray to remind me to get it in the next release.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 1:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
I copied them from the window install, opened them in linux paint and saved as .png and they work fine, takes minutes.Be happy to send them to you if you like.

IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
One other question, while we are on the topic of icons. Would anyone else be interested in having some more icons available to use then the two provided? What I am thinking is that you may set up shortcuts on the desktop that you want the users to be able to visually distinguish from one another.

My suggestions for new icons:

Sesame client
Sesame server
Sesame sdesigner client

Then have these three icon plus the two current icons with several different color schemes. Changing the background color of the icons maybe an easy way to do this.

Frederick  8)

IP Logged