Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) sendmail (Read 2837 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Re: sendmail
Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 5:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

Was just joking with you; I figured that's what you figured.  Besides, if I really wanted a reply, I could have asked for one.  Smiley

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #16 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 6:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

Use "Stat vMyEmail as string " in the global code section so vMyEmail will be 'populated' and retained as the user proceeds through each record in their result set.

You can use a command button together with 'loadmassupdatespec' to start a mass update that sends your email to all recipients in your results batch.

Another method (which is not as easy) is to use the formresultsetcurrentposition() and formresultsettotal() commands in your command button to advance through your results batch firing off an email as it goes.
Start with:

if @formresultsetcurrentpositin("MyForm")= 1 then
{
...programming that runs only at start of process...such as vMyEmail = "Blah Blah Blah"
}

And end with

if @formresultsetcurrentposition("MyForm") = @formresultsettotal("MyForm") then
{
...programming that runs when you reach the end of the results set...
}

Hope that gets you started.

Steve

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #17 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 10:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve -

Your first suggestion might just do the trick for what I want to accomplish - keep the user out of the mass update programming spec.

I am looking forward to trying it as soon as time permits.

Oh noooo, here come another hundred or so e-mails to Spencer from Spencer (lol).

er um, by the way, er um what's your e-mail address.  lol

- Spencer

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #18 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 10:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer, glad I could help. Feel free to test out your mass update emailing program on me at:

NotAChance@NoWay.Com

Smiley

Steve

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:41am
Print Post Print Post  
Hmmmm, I had written another reply to the last message, but apparently I previewed and didn't save it.  Oh well, that was hours ago and I have better news now.

YIPPEEE - HOOORAYY!!!!!

FINALLY, I now have an e-mail program in place in my database.  

Whether I have retrieved one record or a set of records, I can write and send an e-mail to only the record I am looking at.

If, on the other hand, I have retrieved 40 records, I can write my e-mail in the first record only and click on a button to "Send same e-mail to all retrieved records."  I am told how many records would be modified (so that I can "escape" in case of an "accidental" click).  

I AM ECSTATIC!!!!

It may actually need a little "tweaking" once I discover "mistakes" the casual user might be prone to make, but for now, at least,  IT WOIKS!!!

At present, I am left with two questions, one which was asked before.

1) Am I not getting a bcc because of a programming error on my part ... or is there still a problem with that feature in the last hot fix?

2)  Is there a way, when executing @selecttree for mass update ... to avoid the user option of "Interactive" or "Continue"?  It would be more "professional" not to have the user make that choice .... and I always want it run as "Continue."

I haven't considered a macro for that function, although it's possible (I guess) that it would work.  But it would be much cleaner if it could be done through programming.  Once again, if it is not currently available, I would like to see it as a program enhancement.

Once again, my SINCERE THANKS & HEARTFELT APPRECIATION to each of you who have contributed so much to this request for help. Steve, I especially appreciate your recommendations and the way you pointed me in the right direction.  (And I appreciate it just as much even though you wouldn't let me send you one - or, perhaps, a "few" - of my mass e-mails.  lol)

- Spencer

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 2:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
2)  Is there a way, when executing @selecttree for mass update ... to avoid the user option of "Interactive" or "Continue"?  It would be more "professional" not to have the user make that choice .... and I always want it run as "Continue."

I haven't considered a macro for that function, although it's possible (I guess) that it would work.  But it would be much cleaner if it could be done through programming.  Once again, if it is not currently available, I would like to see it as a program enhancement.

Spencer,

Last March, I struggled with this also, and a macro is the only way I found to eliminate the need for user intervention. See the following link:
http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display...

The following is a portion of my actual code the I am using.
Code
Select All
      Success = @LoadMassUpdateSpec("Recalculate Balance - Part 1")
      if Success = 1
            @Macro("Data\Run Mass Update.mac")      //Use @Macro instead of @SelectTreeItem. The macro eliminates the mass update confirmation pop-up box.
      else
            @MsgBox("", "WARNING: ""Recalculate Balance - Part 1"" Mass Update Spec has failed to load!", "")

EDIT:
BTW, you can't record a macro to select "Continue", you need to record a macro to start the mass update, as opposed to using programming to start the mass update. Is that clear enough?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #21 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 2:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
2)  Is there a way, when executing @selecttree for mass update ... to avoid the user option of "Interactive" or "Continue"?  It would be more "professional" not to have the user make that choice .... and I always want it run as "Continue."

In the current version a Macro like Carl uses is the way to avoid that prompt.

2.0 has a command named RunMassUpdateSpec() that will run the currently loaded Mass Update spec without the user having to click on the dialog box.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #22 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 4:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

Carl, thanks much for the input and yes I understand.  You saved me needless work trying to start a macro while still using my "in place" programming.  In view of Ray's info (in the message after yours), I will probably just let it go "as is" and then simply have to replace the one command when version 2.0 is realeased.

The funny part about this is that I used to use Macros heavily in Q&A (which was not available in the Windows Version) and one of the main reasons I I never cared to use it.  So, I was delighted to see that Sesame offered Macros.  But the programming is so much more reliable and so versatile that I've actually been avoiding using macros whenever possible.

Ray, thanks for the input.  Don't you need "beta" testers for version 2.0?  PANT!  PANT!  PANT!    2.0 wherfore art thou?  (lol)

Seriously, thanks much guys.  

I'm now down to my one remaining question.

Quote:
Am I not getting a bcc because of a programming error on my part ... or is there still a problem with that feature in the last hot fix?

P.S. (I just realized what happened to the "message" I thought I didn't  post. It was in a separate message I had started regarding the bcc issue.

http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display...

- Spencer

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #23 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
But the programming is so much more reliable and so versatile that I've actually been avoiding using macros whenever possible.

I agree. And, I beleive, that is the advise that everyone at Lantica would give you as well. I only used the macro because there was no other way to avoid the interuption.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #24 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:04pm
Print Post Print Post