Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) @sendmail .... BCC (Read 4454 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

@sendmail .... BCC
Jan 12th, 2006 at 7:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray -

Although I am still working on my "mass" e-mailing, my individual e-mails are now working fine with one minor exception.

I can enter a mailing address in the CC spec and that works fine; however, if I enter it in the BCC spec (and I want to), the BCC is not sent.

I don't know whether I am overlooking something in the code .. or whether there is still a problem with the hot fix.

In any event, here's the code I am currently using.

Code
Select All
var ii as Int
var vEmail as string
var vsubject as string
var vemailaddress as string

VEMail = LastEMail
vSubject = Subject
vEMailAddress = EMailAddress

If @isblank(Subject)

then

@msgbox("Please enter a subject for this e-mai", "", "Thank you!")

else

if not @isblank(subject) then

If
@askuser("It's not too late to modify the message if you like."," ","Would you like to send it 'as is?'")

then
{

ii = @SendMail("SMTP-SERVER.TAMPABAY.RR.COM",
Subject, "Spencer@SilversOlutionS.org",vEmailAddress,
"", "swulwick@tampabay.rr.com", "Hi " + First Name + ", " + @newline()
+ @newline() + vEMail+@newline() +@newline() + "Spencer Wulwick" +@newline() +
"Silver sOlutionS of Tampa, Inc." + @newline() +  "www.SilversOlutionS.org")

If ii = "0"
then

@Msg("* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * PLEASE NOTE -----> YIPPEE!  YOUR E-MAIL HAS BEEN SENT TO " + First Name + " " + Last Name + "<----- PLEASE NOTE * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *")
LastEMail = ("The following e-mail was sent to " + First Name + " " + Last Name + " on "
+ @month$(@date) + " " + @dom(@date) + ", " + @year(@date) + " at " + @time + @newline() + @newline()
+ "Hi " + First Name + ", " + @newline () + @newline() + vEMail+@newline() +@newline() + "Spencer Wulwick" +@newline() + "Silver sOlutionS of Tampa, Inc." +@newline() + "www.SilversOlutionS.org")}

else

@msgbox ("Modify the subject and/or message and press the Send button again again","","")

So, is it my code or the "hot fix?"

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: @sendmail .... BCC
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 10:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Last time I tried it (months ago), I was not able to send to any CC or BCC recipient...Ray mentioned it was likely an issue of my ISP. I have been working around this by using programming to send a seperate email to the other recipients, seperately. It's been working fine, though not as convenient.

I'll be eager to see what you come up with.

Steve

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 11:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve -

As far as I know, this has worked in the past; however, I may be wrong about that point, because I was receiving the original e-mail (which I had addressed to me, for testing), and a cc (also addressed to me) and a copy from another e-mail address that automatically forwards a copy to me).   (That's why I wound up getting hundreds of e-mails from myself - with all my "testing.")  lol

Clearly, though, my issue is different than yours because I CAN send a CC; I simply can't send a BCC.  The reason I want the BCC is that I want a copy to go into my e-mail program for "storage" and I see no reason for it to show on the recipient's copy of the e-mail.

By the way, I have not yet completed the mass update procedure; however, I am getting closer and I am certain that it will work the way I want it to.  What I can do, that I couldn't do until hearing from you - is execute a mass update spec and send the e-mail that is in my first record, to all other people in my retrieved set of records, so I am "almost there."  (Are you, absolutely sure that you don't want to be one of my "beta" testers?  lol)

I'll let you know when that happens and I really appreciate the help you provided, cuz I couldn't have done it without support.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 5:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

When you have a second I need you to test something. Using SendMail, Send an e-mail to yourself and BCC it to my address. Just ONE e-mail.

I can CC and BCC a message from @SendMail(). One thing I have noticed is that the BCC has to be someone that does not resolve to the Sender. So if I use my e-mail address as the sender I can not BCC myself.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 5:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

What e-mail address should I use please?

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 5:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

Use Support@Lantica.com

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Spencer,

Hope you don't mind me posting this but....

Quote:
Hi Spencer,

Although this e-mail "says" it is from Silver Solutions, it is actually being sent from SWulwick (Road Runner).  It is being sent:

To:     Silver solutions
CC:    Road Runner
BCC:  Ray Yoxall 

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for ...........

Spencer Wulwick
Silver sOlutionS of Tampa, Inc.
www.SilversOlutionS.org

Look familiar?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
So,

That answers one question.  The BCC absolutely DOES work when it is sent to an address other than the one from which it came (which of course is the way it would "generally" be used).

So, now ....

Is this something that is "fixable" within Sesame ... or is this something "inherent" in the ISP?

If the former, then fix it (lol)

If the latter, any ideas for a "work-around."  Again, the bottom line is that I would like to receive a copy of the emails I send to someone, without them seeing it on the e-mail.

While waiting to hear the answers, I'll be stretching my brain ... to see if I can come up with my own idea.

Thanks Ray.

Oh, one last question, I wonder whether I should (or should not) remove Ray from the BCC programming for all my emails.  ROFLOL!   Relax, I'll remove it; I'll remove it!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is this something that is "fixable" within Sesame ... or is this something "inherent" in the ISP?

ISP. We don't parse it to see if the BCC is the same as the sender, we just pass it on over.

Quote:
If the latter, any ideas for a "work-around."  Again, the bottom line is that I would like to receive a copy of the emails I send to someone, without them seeing it on the e-mail.

Use another e-mail address as either the sender or the BCC. Form my experience they can not be the same nor can one be an alias for the other. Or do what Steve does and send yourself a separate e-mail.

Quote:
Thanks Ray.

You are welcome

Quote:
Oh, one last question, I wonder whether I should (or should not) remove Ray from the BCC programming for all my emails.  ROFLOL!   Relax, I'll remove it; I'll remove it!

I would recommend removing it.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

Quote:
Use another e-mail address as either the sender or the BCC. Form my experience they can not be the same nor can one be an alias for the other. Or do what Steve does and send yourself a separate e-mail.

I would definitely prefer this to sending a second e-mail so I'll work on it and let you know how I make out.

And, regarding the BCC to Ray

Quote:
I would recommend removing it.

DONE!!!   Grin

Thanks, again.

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 9:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

Well, I am still somewhat baffled, but I guess I will just have to live with it (or at least hope that I do).  lol

I tried sending a bcc to one of my other e-mail accounts which is toally and completely separate from this one ... and it didn't work.  Since I don't know what information the ISP has access to, and no idea of how they process that information, I have no clues.  I suppose, some day, I might call the ISP to see if they could enlightmen me - and or change their methods - but it just insn't critical enough at this point to waste my time.

What I have decided to settle for is to send a cc to my SilversOlutionS account.  So, the from address and the cc address on the email will be the same.  The cc will go directly into my "Sesame Sent" folder which I can control with my message rules of my e-mail provider.

So, for now at least, "case closed." 

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 8:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

I am sorry that I have to get back to this matter, but after putting a lot of energy into getting to the source of the BCC "problem," I am more convinced than ever that "something" is being affected by the Sesame design itself.

I have contacted technical support for both my ISP (Road Runner) and my E-mail provider (Incredimail) and all the tests we made show no problem with a BCC.

Yet when I make the same test from my Sesame database, the BCC fails.

First let me give you some background.  My personal E-mail account is

SWulwick@tampabay.rr.com

I have another account for my business E-mail which is

Spencer@SilversOlutionS.org

When E-mail is sent to my business account, two things happen:

1)  The sender of the E-mail receives an acknowlegement (from my business account) that the E-mail was received and that I would reply to them as soon as possible.

2)  The incoming business E-mail is forwarded to my personal road-runner account.

When USING INCREDIMAIL, it is sent as follows:

To:      Swulwick@tampabay.rr.com
CC:      (None entered)
BCC:    Spencer@SilversOlutionS.org

Sure enough, I get 3 pieces of E-mail (1) The E-mail addressed to me (2) the "acknowledgement" from SilversOlutionS that my E-mail was received and (3) the E-mail BCC'd to SilversOlutionS and forwarded to me.  

That's as it should be.  As far as I'm concerned this should be "proof positive" that neither my ISP nor my E-mail provider is prohibiting the sending of a BCC, when I'm the recipient of the BCC.

YET, when I execute my E-mail from within my SESAME DATABASE to do the same thing, the BCC fails.  I get only the original E-mail.  I do not get an acknowledgement from SilversOlutionS that any message has been received nor do I get the forwarded copy from SilversOlutionS.

That leaves only TWO VARIABLES (as far as I can tell) and BOTH of these variables are WITHIN SESAME.  The two variables are (1) the database design itself and (2) the coding that I use to implement @sendmail.

As for the latter (my coding) I have checked it dozens of times and it seems to me that I have it done correctly.  In fact when you had me modify my programming to send you the BCC, it woked just fine.  That tells me that my coding is correct (although here is the code once again, in case I am overlooking something).

Code
Select All
var ii as Int  

ii = [color=Maroon]@SendMail("SMTP-SERVER.TAMPABAY.RR.COM", vsubject, "swulwick@tampabay.rr.com",EmailAddress,"","Spencer@SilversOlutionS.org"[/color], "Hi " + First Name + ", " + @newline()
+ @newline() + vlastemail + @newline() +@newline() + "Spencer Wulwick" +@newline() + "Silver sOlutionS of Tampa, Inc." + @newline() +  "www.SilversOlutionS.org")

If ii = "0"
then

@Msg(" ****************************** YOUR E-MAIL IS BEING PROCESSED ****************************** ")
LastEMail = ("The following e-mail was sent to " + First Name + " " + Last Name + " on "
+ @month$(@date) + " " + @dom(@date) + ", " + @year(@date) + " at " + @time + @newline() + @newline()  
+ "Hi " + First Name + ", " + @newline () + @newline() + vlastEMail + @newline() + @newline() + "Spencer Wulwick" +@newline() + "Silver sOlutionS of Tampa, Inc." +@newline() + "www.SilversOlutionS.org")
Subject = vsubject

If there IS a problem with my coding, then I need help, because I just can't see it.  

If there is NOT a problem with my coding, then, as far as I can tell, that leaves only one variable, and that variable is within the design of Sesame.

Knowing that neither the ISP nor the E-mail provider has anything to do with the problem, I would really appreciate it if the design could be explored further.

Apparently, I am not the only person who has had this problem.  Others have said they circumvented it by sending the E-mail to a text file and by other means.  

Steve, in Texas, said:
Quote:
Last time I tried it (months ago), I was not able to send to any CC or BCC recipient...Ray mentioned it was likely an issue of my ISP. I have been working around this by using programming to send a seperate email to the other recipients, seperately. It's been working fine, though not as convenient.

It would be a great service to those of us using this feature if it could be resolved once and for all.

Thanks much!

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 12:05am
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

Try including at least one CC before the BCCs.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 12:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

I just added a cc to one of my other accounts (SpencerWulwick@myfamily.com).  It, too, receives e-mails independently and then forwards a copy to me at SWulwick@tampabay.rr.com.

The only e-mail I got was the one I sent TO myself.

I checked the myfamily.com website and there was no email there.

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 12:30am
Print Post Print Post  
Worked for me just now on Verizon's and on Adelphia's mail servers. I sent to myself, CC'd to myself, and BCC'd to myself - all at separate addresses on the same receiving mail server.

The SMTP servers did consolidate (as Ray said they would) when any two of the addresses were actually identical - but otherwise all three messages arrived.

I used the code you posted after removing the erroneous "color tags", declaring (and setting) the undeclared variables, and setting the addresses correctly to my accounts and servers.

I did have to set at least one CC to get any BCCs.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print