Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) @fedit from ANOTHER layout element (Read 1374 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

@fedit from ANOTHER layout element
Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:19am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I believe I requested this enhancement in one of my recent messages; however I can't find it.  So, here it is again - but with a "semi-solution" in the meantime.

I would like to be able to pop open the field editor from a layout element OTHER THAN the one I want to see in the editor.  In other words, I may be in a FIRST NAME LE and want to look at the remarks (which even if I went to the Remarks LE, exceed the visible area).  Then when I close the field editor, I would still be in the FIRST NAME LE, where I wanted to be. I'm picturing a simple command like @fedit(Remarks) or something similar.

I truly hope this will be considered and provided because it would be a nice enhancement to Sesame.

IN THE MEANTIME, I have come up with a partial solution.  I now have a command button next to my Remarks LE, that's labeled.  SEE ALL REMARKS.  When you press the button, the field editor pops up with all the remarks in it.

But, what I really did was "fool" myself.  The command button does nothing but take you to another LE (camouflaged so you can't see it).  As soon as you enter the non-visible LE, the on-element-entry programming simply copies the REMARKS to the non-visible LE and then opens the field editor with the existing @fedit command.  So, although you are seeing what is in the REMARKS LE, you are really not in it at all ... yet what you see are the Remarks.  Neat, huh?

Now, to tell the truth, that is not the way I really used it.  I actually used it as part of my @sendmail programming for mass e-mailing.  But the why's and wherefore's of that are a little more complex and I thought it would be better understood when explained this way.

I hope this is clear; I've been working on mass e-mailing all day long and am really weary.

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2006 at 5:14pm by SpencerWulwick »  

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: @fedit from ANOTHER layout element
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 3:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I would like to be able to pop open the field editor from a layout element OTHER THAN the one I want to see in the editor.  In other words, I may be in a FIRST NAME LE and want to look at the remarks (which even if I went to the Remarks LE, exceed the visible area).  Then when I close the field editor, I would still be in the FIRST NAME LE, where I wanted to be.  I'm picturing a simple command like @fedit(Remarks) or something similar.

Hello Spencer,

Well something like that is already in 2.0. Actually it is better than that but could be used to do that. @PopupStringEditor() brings up what looks very similar to the Field Editor, but with differences. You can pass in an initial value, a Title for the window, Width and Height along with the X and Y coordinates. So you could say

Code
Select All
Remarks = @PopupStringEditor(Remarks, "Please type in additional Remarks", 600, 400, 100, 100) 

If the User exits without saving the initial Value, the value passed in, is returned. Otherwise the modified value is returned. It has searching ability, standard Right Click menu choices, Dozens of Shortcut Keystrokes, and some other features.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 3:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
something like that is already in 2.0. Actually it is better than that but could be used to do that. @PopupStringEditor() brings up what looks very similar to the Field Editor, but with differences. You can pass in an initial value, a Title for the window, Width and Height along with the X and Y coordinates. So you could say

Code
Select All
Remarks = @PopupStringEditor(Remarks, "Please type in additional Remarks", 600, 400, 100, 100) 

If the User exits without saving the initial Value, the value passed in, is returned. Otherwise the modified value is returned. It has searching ability, standard Right Click menu choices, Dozens of Shortcut Keystrokes, and some other features.

-Ray

You are such a Tease Smiley

Any Rumors floating around about potential release dates?

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 3:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Robert,

You are not the first person to call me a tease when it comes to 2.0 and you probably will not be the last.

As for the Rumors, If there are any I have yet to hear them.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 5:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

Quote:
If the User exits without saving the initial Value, the value passed in, is returned. Otherwise the modified value is returned.

I think I brought this up elsewhere, but it is worth repeating.  I hope that if "x" is clicked to close the editor, we will be given the option to continue the close either with or without saving the changes.

One of the reasons it is so difficult for me to remember NOT to click X to close the field editor is because of the different behavior of the program editor.  In the field editor, the changes are "lost" the moment you click on X.    In the program editor, they are not lost (unless you choose not to save any of the changes to your program layout).  

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 5:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

You can't not save the changes in the Program Editor. No matter how you close it those changes are saved and then committed when you save the form. Unless you exit the form without saving. That will revert the programming to the saved state.

About the X in the PopupStringEditor, I am not sure what behavior it will end up with. Remember 2.0 is still in development and as such things are likely to change. They may already be changed, I am not sure. As of right now F6, CTRL+S, and a menu item Save and Close, and ALT+F4, ESC, X in the upper right, and a menu item Close without Saving.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 5:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
You can't not save the changes in the Program Editor. No matter how you close it those changes are saved and then committed when you save the form.

Ray,

I don't think you are correct here. I also have found that if I click the red "X", my changes are lost. Pressing F6 is the only way I know of to close the window AND save the changes, other than via the File menu.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 5:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl,

Ray is talking about Programming Editor in Designer. Not the F6 field editor.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Oh yeah. Duh! Embarrassed

Sorry Ray. Since Spencer was on the subject of the F6 editor window, I didn't even notice that you did state "Program Editor" right there in plain view. Roll Eyes

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl -

You just kinda/sorta "proved" my point in a sense (just look at all those caveats - lol). 

True, you know the distinction and just missed the fact that I included a reference to the program editor.

My point is they are so similar in appearance and "feel" while you are working with them .... the are both "editors" ..... that it is truly difficult to make the distinction unless you force yourself to always do it consciously ... not always an easy task.

So, I would still like to see the "option" given to continuing "closing" WITH or WITHOUT saving.  That would "fix" it for me.  That "DUH" thing comes up too often.   lol

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
It's all right Carl.

Back on the subject of the X in the Field Editor. If it does get changed to prompt when closing, then the PopupStringEditor will also get that change. The two are meant to be close to each other so the user does not have to learn new keystrokes. In 2.0 all three editors(Program, Field, String) share as many common keystrokes as possible, which is 44 as of the last time I looked.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

Well, as you know full well (not through any choice of my own) I have not yet gotten to try the PopupStringEditor.  But, I don't see, in thinking about it, that it would be a problem. 

The reason for anyone to be in the editor, in the first place (unless to simply "look" at the entire contents of a layout element), is to want to make a change.  So, it seems to me that it would be a nice feature to have. 

Time will tell.  The only question - that we all have - is how much time?  lol

- Spencer

IP Logged