Normal Topic Strange character appearing (Read 642 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Strange character appearing
Jan 13th, 2006 at 8:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
In one of my Q&A databases I have a field which was supposed to contain yes/no information when I designed it.  One of my users told me he wanted to put additional notes into it, so I changed it to a Text field.

After translating it I tried an experiment and changed the field type to Boolean.  All the Yes'es changed to 1 and all the No's changed to 0.  Fine.  But everything with text changed to ÿ.

I have since changed the field type back to text, so that later when I import data I'll get the notes.  But for right now there are some things puzzling me.

When I do a Table View, these ÿ characters are not visible.  Nor do I find any records when I use ÿ as a search criteria, so I can't do a Mass Update to delete them.  Sesame is storing the character as something because when I search for empty fields they are not found.

I'm just curious about this...it's actually moot because "real" data will replace all of it some time in the future.  But it would be interesting to know what's going on in case something similar which does matter comes up in the future.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Strange character appearing
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 8:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Did you change the field type, the LE type, or both?

The reason I ask is because a boolean (yes/no) field is a three state binary field, holding 1, 0, or -1. The -1 indicates that no choice (1 or 0) has been set. ÿ is the ASCII representation of -1.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 9:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
I changed the Field type (I don't know how to change a LE type).  I used the Manage A Database - Field Manager.

I'll have to read up on Boolean fields; I didn't know it was a 3-state field.   That's very interesting.

I tried searching the field for -1 but didn't get any returns.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 9:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Searching on the undecided value, means that you don't care which value is set, and is a main reason to have three states.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 8:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
I finally found a way to retreive just the records which contain the ÿ character.  I discovered "Inverted Search" and specified all other entries as search criteria.

SESAME RULES!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged