Normal Topic Re: @sendmail demo (Read 1265 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: @sendmail demo
Jan 19th, 2006 at 1:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Also, if any of you are using Sesame version 1.1.3 you will need to first obtain the "hot fix" (version 1.1.3 HF1) for the sendmail command to work.  Just send an e-mail to support@lantica.com and Ray will send it to you.

Please do not request the hotfix for the purpose of viewing a demo or other non-critical uses. Hotfixes are available so that users with a specific and critical issue can continue day-to-day operations until the actual release is ready. Hotfixes often contain pre-beta code in other areas of the program. They should not be used in production environments unless there is a real need to do so. In addition, because of the nature of hotfixes, we keep track of who has them so that we can make sure they get and install the release version.

Bottom line: If you are not in immediate need of SendMail, please wait for the actual 1.1.4 release.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Re: @sendmail
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 3:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry Erika

I didn't realize that.  But although I referred to this as a "demo" there are people who actually want to incorporate sendmail and I did this to help them.

I had wasted over an hour trying to figure out why it wasn't working for someone else, when I suddenly remembered there had been a problem with that particular release of Sesame.

But I fully understand what you are saying and - since the other threads indicate that I now have it working anyone truly needing it would probably contact me if they hadn't already.  So I am going to remove my original message and will remove this in a day or two.

I can always post a "reminder" after v 1.1.4 has been released.

Thanks

P.S. After posting this message, I discovered a few requests for the database in my e-mail.  One person specifically stated he had read Erika's message and would not request the hotfix but just wanted to see the code.  So, yes, anyone wanting to review the code is welcome to e-mail me requesting the database.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

wildwood

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:25am
Print Post Print Post  
In the last 2 weeks alot of posts concerned @Sendmail. Being very interested in this feature for my own applications I decided to get in touch with one of the prime "posters", Spencer Wulwick. He has developed an excellent and user friendly application utilizing all the features of SendMail adaptable for just about any application. He was extremely helpful and informative. Anyone in need of help in this regard should contact him.

Peter

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:34am
Print Post Print Post  
Peter -

Thank you very much for the kind words.  I'm truly glad that I was able to be of help.

I've certainly gotten my share of help on this foum and it's nice to be able to turn it around once in a while and help someone else.

Thanks!

I hope the program is - and continues - working to your satisfaction.

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 4:07am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

This message is primarily for "Captain Infinity."

Although still not finalized, I have sent you a revised copy of my @SENDMAIL database.

You mentioned in another thread, that you wanted to see the different messages on the tab page.

When you open the database, you should be in "Search" mode.  Just click on the "Read First" tab.  You'll see a message that many of the tab pages cannot be seen in Search mode but you can see them in Search/Update and Add modes. 

When you press F10 to retrieve the first record, the message on the Read First Tab will be completely different.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
How the heck did you do that?  OK, I see how you did that: you've stacked ReadFirst (the data storage element) on top of NOTINSEARCH, which contains the boilerplate.  But this has me baffled:
Code
Select All
	Form: On form entry
     Visibility(NotInSearch, 0)
     ForceRedraw()
     Loiter(500) 

What does all this do?

And what does the "Bonus Button" do?  I don't have the hot fix so this isn't a "working" application for me, so I can't test it to find out.

As usual, just curious.  Nice job, Spencer!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 4:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

For anyone interested, who doesn't yet have the database (and if anyone want's a copy, all you have to do is ask) let me explain.

"Read First" is simply the label on one of several tab pages.

On that page, I have a TEXT layout element named "Read First."  The text on that page is defined as an initial value so that it will be seen on every record added to the database.

On top of the Read First LE is another text element named "NOTINSEARCH."  The text on that page is defined as the label of that element and that contains the text I want seen only when the user is in Search mode.

Now to explain the code which is in the on-form-entry event of the form itself.  Keep in mind that this code does NOT execute in Search mode. Visibility(NotInSearch,0) turns the visibility OFF for that element.  It will be executed whenever the user is in either Search/Update or Add mode. With that element being turned off, the User will now see the Read First text.

Forceredraw "immediately redraws all the screen elements."  I don't know the technology behind this (and don't care - lol) but assume this ensures that the display (what you are seeing on your screen) is immediately updated.

Loiter(###) "causes the current process (program) to pause for" a number (as specified by you) of milliseconds. "A value of 1000 equals 1 second."  So Loiter(500) simply provides 1/2 second for the computer to accomplish the redraw before moving on to "bigger and better things."  

The "counterpart" of that code is the code in the form's
on-retrieve-spec-open event.

Code
Select All
      Visibility(NotInSearch, 1)
      ForceRedraw()
      Loiter(500) 

This simply turns the visibility of the NOTINSEARCH ELEMENT back on.

By using these "paired" pieces of code you have control over when and where a particular element will be seen by the user.

As for the "Bonus" button, that was designed for use with my particular e-mail program.  The coding behind it causes my E-mail "client" (IncrediMail) to open a new e-mail with the "To" block filled in with the e-mail address of the person who's record I am viewing.  That coding uses @shell and contains specific information related to that particular e-mail program.

Even better than the "bonus button" (in my opinion) is something on the "Feedback" tab.  You see there what looks like an ordinary hyperlink to Spencer@S-O-S.bz.  The very simple code behind this element (thanks, yet again, to Bob Hansen for telling me about it) will open the user's e-mail client (whatever it might happen to be) as defined in the Windows Operating system.

The nice part about either of these elements, is that it allows you to use your own e-mail (rather than Sesame's built-in @sendmail command). This, in turn, allows you to take advantage of all the e-mail program's features, such as inserting pictures, attaching files, etc. etc.

I hope I've answered your questions without boring anyone too much.  Smiley

By the way, I just learned that you participate in Bob Hansen's user group (lucky devil - I envy you!).  Bob has a copy of the database and I would imagine he would be glad to demo it for you and also answer questions.

Thanks for asking.

- Spencer

IP Logged