Normal Topic Freeform reports Sesame vs Q & A (Read 480 times)
esgage

No personal text

Freeform reports Sesame vs Q & A
Jan 30th, 2006 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am a former Q & A for Windows user. In Q & A, I was able to design a freeform report and view how the actual screen would look when designing it. I am getting used to Sesame and love it. However, is there a way to design a freeform report that contains boxes with no data values, or how could I mimic a spreadsheet look with boxes and columns of various sizes and include data from the Sesame database into different areas on the spreadsheet in the Sesame report? I have had documents from my customer that I could pretty much copy into a Q & A freeform style report and add data and put it anywhere. These documents would contain boxes, vertical, and horizontal lines. It would look just like their document, thus saving me the time from obtaining extra copies of their documents, feeding into the printer, and matching my data into the appropriate boxes on those documents. I did not see anything in the Sesame report writer that would allow me to accomplish this. Is it possible?

Thanks,

Kevin E & S Gage

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Freeform reports Sesame vs Q & A
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 3:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
It’s always nice (but rare) to meet another QAWIN user. Us windows version users seem to be few and far between. I know exactly what you are saying about the freeform in QAWIN however after you become comfortable with Sesame’s options you will find it just as easy if not easier. There are 2 methods to create what you want. 1 is you can use Sbasic commands for printing or 2 use word merge. I am finding once I became more comfortable with print commands I am now using this method more, however to accomplish your goal quickly start with word merge. You design the document in word to look exactly how you want it to look and then add the data from sesame. Look in Inside sesame for some great articles on it.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

esgage

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 4:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
BobScott -

Yes, I agree. When our company purchased Q & A (dos) a long time ago we got used to it and liked it. When windows came out in the 90's it seemed the natural thing to do was upgrade to the Windows version. We have been using it ever since and I know it like the back of my hand. However, since it is not supported anymore and I have had fatal crashes, I felt time to ugrade. Since Sesame shared several things Q & A had I decided to purchase it instead of Access. During that time I never knew any other person who even heard of Q & A. So I know what you are saying.

As far as incorporating Word, I will try that. I was hoping it could be built into Sesame to allow it to be as user friendly as possilbe to my employees. However, I am sure once I figure it out and design what I need I can train them appropriately.

Thanks,

Kevin

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 4:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
As far as incorporating Word, I will try that. I was hoping it could be built into Sesame to allow it to be as user friendly as possilbe to my employees. 

Kevin,

The word merge utility for Sesame makes it seem seamless to the user. You run it from Sesame and you are returned to Sesame when it’s done. It can not get any more user friendly then that.

Keep us posted on your progress  Smiley

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged