Normal Topic Reconciling vs DB Name "Conventions" (Read 519 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Reconciling vs DB Name "Conventions"
Feb 2nd, 2006 at 9:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I notice that if I attempt to reconcile a designer file with an existing dabase, with a different name, I may or may not get a warning message "This design may not match the target application.  Attempt to Reconcile anyway?  Yes/No."

For example, when I attempt to reconcile MiddleVillagers.dsr to Addresses.db, I get the warning message.

If, however, I attempt to reconcile MiddleVillagers.dsr to MiddleVillagerscopy.db, I do not get the warning message.

This is convenient in this particular situation, since it allows me to easily and conveniently update backup copies.

I am concerned however, that it might allow me to inadvertently reconcile to an incorrect database if the names are similar.

I would like to know, therefore, what name "conventions" you use to determine whether or not to display the warning message.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Reconciling vs DB Name "Conventions"
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 10:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
It has nothing to do with the names.

There is an internal code in each application. If a particular dsr was made from a particular db (or vice versa), the codes will match. If they don't match, you get the warning.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Re: Reconciling vs DB Name "Conventions"
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 10:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika -

My message was posted at 4:56 p.m..  It took you until 5:02 p.m. to give me this short answer.  Any reason for the delay?  lol

Seriously, you guys are the greatest!  If feels more like "instant messaging" than a web-site forum.

As for the answer that, too, is good to know.  That would mean that I could give a "second" .db a completely different name and still reconcile from the same .dsr.

I am having a BLAST with Sesame.  I am so much more "comfortable" with it, after your training and I am constanltly amazed by the incredible power, versatility and ease of use it provides.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged