Normal Topic Segmentation Fault when opening Property Viewer (Read 1000 times)
Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Segmentation Fault when opening Property Viewer
Feb 4th, 2006 at 11:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi all!

I have a repeatable bug that produces a segmentation fault. When I am in Sdesigner and I try to change the property viewer from Selected Element to Layout or Application the program exit  and in terminal used to start it it says segmentation fault. . I had it do this a few times with Database as well but now I can not seem to replicate this.

I am running Linspire 5.0.59  (Linux)and have version 1.1.3 of Sesame and Sdesigner.

It is possible to get this information if needed else where, however it is a big bother to have the program crash with a segmentation fault and leave the file locked.

I have tried numerous database, my own and ones from the sample folder as well. All with the same results.

I am working on my laptop now and will try this on my desktop at work on Monday to see if to does the same thing. It is also running Linspire 5.0.

Any help would be appreciated! Grin

Frederick

Frederick Henderson*Radio HRGS*Roatan*Bay Islands*Honduras

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Segmentation Fault when opening Property Viewe
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2006 at 2:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi all!

I have a repeatable bug that produces a segmentation fault. When I am in Sdesigner and I try to change the property viewer from Selected Element to Layout or Application the program exit  and in terminal used to start it it says segmentation fault. . I had it do this a few times with Database as well but now I can not seem to replicate this.

When you say that you cannot replicate this, do you mean that you cannot replicate the problem in general, or that you cannot replicate the problem associated with selecting Database instead of Layout or Application.
Quote:
I am running Linspire 5.0.59  (Linux)and have version 1.1.3 of Sesame and Sdesigner.

It is possible to get this information if needed else where, however it is a big bother to have the program crash with a segmentation fault and leave the file locked.

No need to justify the need for a fix. We will do all we can!
Quote:
I have tried numerous database, my own and ones from the sample folder as well. All with the same results.

Does it do it in all of the sample applications? Does it happen in Customers.db (as a .dsr)?
Quote:
I am working on my laptop now and will try this on my desktop at work on Monday to see if to does the same thing. It is also running Linspire 5.0.

Any help would be appreciated! Grin

Frederick

Can you remember if any particular element was selected when this happens? Anything you can give us that makes this more specific would help greatly. I just tried it in Customers.dsr without a problem (running SuSe 9.3). Any steps you can remember that you took just previous to seeing this would help. Have you been in the programming editor, or looking at preview mode, or using a different application and just going back to Sesame?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Re: Segmentation Fault when opening Property View
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 4:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Before I answer any questions. I try to duplicate the problem on my desktop and I can not make it happen, ever. So, I  am  guessing that something is different  with the setup on the laptop.

Quote:
on 04.02.2006 at 17:01:26, Frederick_JH wrote:
Hi all!

When you say that you cannot replicate this, do you mean that you cannot replicate the problem in general, or that you cannot replicate the problem associated with selecting Database instead of Layout or Application. 

I could not replicate it when I selected Database instead of Layout or Application.
Quote:
Quote:

No need to justify the need for a fix. We will do all we can!
I appreciate your spirit of cooperation in finding this.

Quote:
Quote:

Does it do it in all of the sample applications? Does it happen in Customers.db (as a .dsr)?
It did this with everyone of the sample applications I tried. Callback, Customers, Countries, Gems, Schedule as well is with my own databases.

Can you remember if any particular element was selected when this happens? Anything you can give us that makes this more specific would help greatly. I just tried it in Customers.dsr without a problem (running SuSe 9.3). Any steps you can remember that you took just previous to seeing this would help. Have you been in the programming editor, or looking at preview mode, or using a different application and just going back to Sesame?

No actually I did nothing that I did not have to do to get to the point where I could change what I  was  viewing in the property viewer. It did it every time I  changed to view the layout or application propertyies. In the beggining  it did it also with the database selection as well but in the end only the layout or application  would do this.

Let me know if there is something else that I can do to help troubleshoot this.

Thanks again for your help!

Frederick

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 9:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
When you installed Linspire on the laptop did you notice any extra configuration steps that were not required when you installed it on the desktop - especially in regards to the graphics driver or the mouse?

IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 11:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark!

Not really that I can  remember. It pretty much does its thing when installing. You tell it where you want  it to install, walk  away come back the CD drawer is open and a picture is on the screen instructing you to take the CD out and hit enter. You do this and you are up and running. It is no wonder they call Linspire the worlds easiest desktop linux.

Are you thinking that this is in relation to the mouse or graphics drivers? The Laptop has a touch pad but I normally use a USB trackball which is the same one I use on the desktop.

Let me know if there is something that I can check to see  what is different in these areas. I will dig around and see if I can figure out what is different in these two areas.

Frederick

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 12:50am
Print Post Print Post  
Am trying to figure something out that is different on this laptop from the desktop running the same version of the same OS.

Today I tried it out on two additional versions of Redhat and another version of SuSe. So far, no problems.

We have a copy of Mandrake kicking around, plus another version of Redhat. I looked into getting the Live eval disk from Linspire - but the non-bittorent download area was not being provided for me today.

Anyways, any laptop is likely to have a fairly unique graphics driver - and frequently a unique mouse driver. In both cases, likely to be different from the drivers used on your desktop.

Have you look at any of the log files in /var/log for any entries around the time it happened? There may be entries in the files "messages", "Xorg.0.log", or "XFree86.0.log" that may help us.

IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 4:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark!

I will look into the log files when I go home. I did look around last night on the Laptop. It has the same setup for graphics as the desktop. When I  tried to open the control panel to look at the mouse setting on the laptop the control panel application crashed. Not just once but every time. I smell a rat (or mouse)!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 4:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
In X11, when a window "pops up" (like a pulldown menu), the graphics driver is often asked to use a hardware overlay plane to optimize the "back store". While your laptop may use the same parameters as your desktop, it almost certainly uses a different driver for the graphics. If X11 believes that the card can use its hardware to optimize backstore, when in fact that card (or that driver) cannot reliably do so - you are likely to see the kind of symptoms you are having.

Check your logs. If you can, read the end of the logs using "tail", then force the problem, then read the logs again. You may want to check if there were any problems while bringing up the graphical environment during booting in any of log files.

You may want to see if there has been an update to your graphics driver or your mouse driver.

IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 4:02am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark!

I try creating the error while I had tail follow the three log files and I could recreate the error but no new messages were created in any of the log files.

Does Sesame have a way to tell it to create a log file for debuging?  The server log does not log any thing when this happens either.

I will take the issue of the control panel crashing when I try to open the mouse setting section and see with what they come back with.

FJH

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 1:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi Mark!

I try creating the error while I had tail follow the three log files and I could recreate the error but no new messages were created in any of the log files.

Does Sesame have a way to tell it to create a log file for debuging?  The server log does not log any thing when this happens either.

Yes - but its internal use only.
Quote:
I will take the issue of the control panel crashing when I try to open the mouse setting section and see with what they come back with.

Does that produce an entry in any of the log files?

IP Logged