Normal Topic Edit the server log? (Read 658 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Edit the server log?
Feb 9th, 2006 at 4:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yesterday I did a translation of our biggest Q&A database, in terms of both amount of programming and the quantity of records.  I got a huge number of errors in the server log, which I expected.

The Server Admin screen allows for a terrific view of this log but I cannot edit it, which would be useful in squashing the bugs.  I've looked at "s_log0000.log" in Notepad, MS Word, and Excel, but none of these have been helpful in presenting the data in a manner which can be easily manipulated.  I will, of course, try other editors, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of an application which is suited for the job.

Thanks in advance.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Edit the server log?
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 5:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Scott

Do Not Edit That File. It is a binary log file and the order of it is very important to Sesame. One small change and you can render that entire Log file useless.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 5:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I assumed that so I am working with a copy.  Any editor suggestions?  Can I print it to a file and edit that?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 5:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have no suggestions. I know of only two programs that can read a Sesame Log File correctly. They are Sesame and the Sesame Log Reader that Technical Support uses.

Why do you want to edit it?

If you have a Text printer then Yes you can print the log out.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 5:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
With a bit of experimentation, I have found a way to edit the text of the log.  First, I printed it to my Adobe document converter.  Then I selected all the text in the PDF and copied it to a text editor.  YAY!

I want to edit it so that I can group similar errors and delete them from the log (TXT file - I'm not touching the actual log) when I have fixed them, leaving only unfixed errors.  Fixing these problems will take a loooong time (the PDF is 650 pages).

The alternative is to fix a few, save the dtf, re-translate, read the log, fix a few more, and so on.  And since the original translation took about 2 hours I want to avoid that process.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 5:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you recently did a translation, most of those errors may be for each record with the same problem.  For instance, if you had a field named DATE, which is a reserved word, then renaming that single field may eliminate thousands of lines in the log.

Suggets you pick away at the obvious errors, fix them, and do translate again vs. doing log line by line.  Will be much better use of your time.

I saw you earlier posts re acceptable characters in field names.  It is easiest to just limit yourself to 26 chars and 10 digits, forget all other symbols/characters.  Q&A will adjust all references to field name changes except those in quotes in XL statements).  Easier to change names before translating because Sesame will not change names in programming, you will need to do manual Search/Replace in program editor, in each form, in each program trigger section.

Also suggest changing all field types "N" to "N0" (That is a zero).

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 6:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If you recently did a translation, most of those errors may be for each record with the same problem.  For instance, if you had a field named DATE, which is a reserved word, then renaming that single field may eliminate thousands of lines in the log.

Ah.  I was unaware of this.  Thanks!

Quote:
Suggets you pick away at the obvious errors, fix them, and do translate again vs. doing log line by line.  Will be much better use of your time.

OK, I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
Also suggest changing all field types "N" to "N0" (That is a zero).

OK.  I assume that eliminates the trailing zeroes in Sesame?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged