Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Positioning text or elements on a report (Read 2693 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Positioning text or elements on a report
Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 12:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Kevin,

I looking to see if there is a problem with this (assuming there is - a fix will be in 1.1.4).

In the meantime, if you are comfortable with SBasic and HTML, you can remedy this as Bob has suggested. I am not sure why you are having problems compiling the program he has supplied. His solution appears to work so long as a width has not been specified for the static text element.

If you are okay with HTML, but do not want to use SBasic, you can place the snippet Bob has supplied (minus the element name, the equal sign, and the quotes) right in the label for the static text element.

If you wish to use neither SBasic or HTML, you can place a "spacer" element before your title and set its width to a fairly high number (try 700 or so). That will push you title over to the right by the width of the spacer.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 2:07am
Print Post Print Post  
I have rerun the code I supplied and it tests OK.  The message might be coming from another section of code. 

Check other report elements and comment them out until the offending section is identified.  I have seen the Test Program pass , and then fail in Preview because of values that are in quotes.  The Test Program does not do syntax checking inside quotes at times, not sure when, but that is where I would start to comment out code.....sections with quotes.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 2:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I have seen the Test Program pass , and then fail in Preview because of values that are in quotes.  The Test Program does not do syntax checking inside quotes at times, not sure when, but that is where I would start to comment out code.....sections with quotes.

As far as I know the only difference between the compiler in SDesigner (used to test) and the runtime compiler is that the SDesigner compiler includes "ghosted" elements (elements moved off of the form) and the runtime compiler does not. Both run the same compiler with the same library on the same code.

If either is evaluating anything inside quotes (without a missmatched quote mark), please supply an example of this occuring to Ray as soon as possible. Or post a small example here (maybe under a new thread?)

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 4:54am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
please supply an example of this occuring to Ray as soon as possible. Or post a small example here (maybe under a new thread?)
I will do that the next time I see that.  If I get a chance, I will see if I can force that to happen.  And Yes, I will do that under a separate Subject.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

esgage

No personal text

Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 1:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark:

I put in the HTML code in the label of the Static Text and it worked. Could the same method be used as a value box? Thanks for the input. It would be nice for future versions of Sesame to have 1 simple button or command that would allow for this text formatting. I love all the features of Sesame. However, as a former user of Q & A for Windows, I miss some of the features in Q & A such as the Freeform reports in which you see the way the report will pretty much look as you are designing it. Other members have mentioned to me how the feature of using mail merge into Word will replicate any of the Q & A for Windows freeform report. However, it would still be nice for former Q & A users to make a report like that right in Sesame. I now need to learn how to use the mail merge with Word to make reports like I had in Q & A. Sesame is great though in all the other areas. Thanks again for the help.

Kevin

E & S Gage

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #20 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 1:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Its a bug. As a matter of fact, this very feature was shown in a previous version at the user's conference in Baltimore. The feature got broken when adding a different and unrelated feature. It will be fixed in 1.1.4 (already fixed it - here) and will be, as you say, as easy as pushing a button.

IP Logged

esgage

No personal text

Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 2:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark:

Ok. I am getting it to work now using HTML code. Is it possible now to make a Static Text and Programmed element in a report appear on the same line?

I have a static text value with our company name that shows on the left. Next, I am putting in the HTML code to put "Packing List" on the right. I am not adding a new line command.

I would like our company name and the Packing list to appear on the same line 1 aligned to the left, the other to the right. Is this possible, right now it puts it on a new line automatically.

Thanks,

Kevin

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #22 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 4:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Kevin,

If you are using the code
Code
Select All
  LE56 = "<p align=right><b>" + Packing List  + "</b></p>" 

the <p> starts a new line.

Try the code below
Code
Select All
LE56 = "<TABLE WIDTH=100%><TR><TD WIDTH=50% ALIGN=Left>Your Company Name</TD><TD WIDTH=50% ALIGN=Right>" + Packing List + "</TD></TR></TABLE>" 

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

esgage

No personal text

Reply #23 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 5:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray:

Worked great, I had to modify your sample and put quotes around packing list, and then it worked. My next question, I tried to use Sesame to change the Font size, but evidently it will not work in this method since this information is in a value box. How can I make the code example you gave me bold and larger. Again, thanks for the help I have no HTML background.

Kevin
E & S Gage

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #24 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 5:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Kevin,

You can use Sesame to make that value box's font size bigger and bolder. Select the value box, go to the Text tab of the Property Editor, Choose "Bold" from the drop down that says "Normal", And choose a font size from the drop down box that says 12. Save the layout and preview.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print