Normal Topic Population picklist with elements from databases (Read 732 times)
Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Population picklist with elements from databases
Feb 13th, 2006 at 9:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi all!

I am working on an application that I would like to be multi-lingual in the messages that it displays to the users. I plan to use the xlookup commands to do this based on a key of the users language, database name, element and message number.

In my translation-message-database I would like to automatically generate a list of the databases in the current application for the database element and for the element element I would like to generate a list of the elements in the selected database.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this. I have looked at the @StringArrayElementList() Which returns a semicolon-separated string of all the element names on the current layout, but I want to return a pick list of the elements on other layouts.

Thanks in advance for any help!  8)

Frederick Henderson*Radio HRGS*Roatan*Bay Islands*Honduras

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Population picklist with elements from databas
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 2:48am
Print Post Print Post  
That would be "@FormStringArrayElementlist()" or maybe even "@XFormStringArrayElementList()". Neither of which, as of yet, exist.

If you need to have dynamic list generated, as opposed to using prebuilt lists, you will have to automate opening each form you intend to index, probably from application open programming, and storing the results using GlobalValues().

Have you looked at the translation table commands?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:02am
Print Post Print Post  
I have looked at them but according to what I have read they are not for form elements only for the built in Sesame menu or am I reading something wrong into it?   ???

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:14am
Print Post Print Post  
They are very low level. Just before text is sent to the screen the code checks if that string is in the translation table. If so the translation is sent to the screen at the last moment.

So, no - it is not just the Sesame menu. It can be menus, command tree, or messages. The only thing it cannot be is elements on the form and the actual data in the LEs. We figure that form elements can either be created in the appropriate language or easily changed in programming.

From what you are describing, I would suggest that you consider using GlobalValues instead of XLookups, though it really depends on how dynamic you need things to be.

IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:22am
Print Post Print Post  
So this would work for @msg, @msgbox and tooltips if what your are saying is right.

So, if I have database of users and their prefered language the translations for their language could be loaded into global code at the application start up once they have logged in.

I see how this could work.

Thanks!   Grin

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
So this would work for @msg, @msgbox and tooltips if what your are saying is right.

So, if I have database of users and their prefered language the translations for their language could be loaded into global code at the application start up once they have logged in.

I see how this could work.

Thanks!   Grin

You're welcome.

Be careful with the phrases. They must be exactly as printed as a whole string. Also remember that it only affects how the string is shown. It does not change the actual string itself - just how it appears on the screen.

Just out of curiosity - what languages?

IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 4:24am
Print Post Print Post  
At this point Engish and Spanish, however if I set things up properly then others that want to use the database could add other languages.

IP Logged