Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) xlookups not working (Read 1649 times)
Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

xlookups not working
Feb 14th, 2006 at 6:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi all!

I used Q&A before coming to Sesame so I am well aquainted with the xlookup family and their use.  I have been working on getting xlookups working in Sesame under Linux and have so far not gotten a single one to work ever!

I have tried everything and so far have figure nothing out.

I am using the LE names not the labels or database names.
I am stating the layoutname followed by an exlamation mark then the key field for the external key.

I read and worked through Alec Mulvey example in the April 2004 Inside Sesame and even it does not work to lookup when the zip code is typed in.

I have tried the slashes going both ways it the path to the external database.
(Data/Samples/   or  Data\Samples)
I have tried both the old linux and new linux versions.
I have tried external lookups and lookups on the same database.

I am starting Sesame in the /root/Sesame directory right under this is the Data directory.

At this point I am at my wits end after working several days over the past week on this. Is anyone else out their running Sesame 1.1.3 on Linux that has the xlookups working?

Anyone  have any ideas? I am starting to thing that the xlookup functionality got broken in this Linux version.

Frederick   ???

Frederick Henderson*Radio HRGS*Roatan*Bay Islands*Honduras

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: xlookups not working
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 6:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is anyone else out their running Sesame 1.1.3 on Linux that has the xlookups working?

I suppose I don't really count - but I've been optimizing XLookups in 2.0, and so using 1.1.3 on Linux as a baseline. Hence, yes - I have been working with XLookups in Linux in 1.1.3 heavily.

Are you in preview mode? XLookups do not run in preview mode.

In Linux the directory separator is always "/".

Have you tried using an absolute path?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 7:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am not in preview mode. I reconcile the database each time to test. Too bad lookups could not work in Preview mode. I could real use this feature.

By absolute path do you mean /root/Seasame/Data/MyDatabase.db ?

I have tried this too.

Is the working directory where you start the program from?  Not neccessarily where the executable is.  I am guessing the working directory would be where the open file dialog would take you unless your rootdir.ini says different.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 7:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I am not in preview mode. I reconcile the database each time to test.

Usually easier to simply save a new application, if you are not client server and designing as others work in the runtime copy.
Quote:
Too bad lookups could not work in Preview mode. I could real use this feature.

Quote:
By absolute path do you mean /root/Seasame/Data/MyDatabase.db ?

I have tried this too.

Is the working directory where you start the program from?  Not neccessarily where the executable is.  I am guessing the working directory would be where the open file dialog would take you unless your rootdir.ini says different.

It is where you are when you start the program. Use the cwd command if you are on the command line.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Don Newlin

No personal text

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
It's probably pure coincidence,  but I have two applications where the xlookups quit working after weekend programming changes and reconciliation to the live database. 

One of the apps has been running for over a year  on a linux server with no problems in the xlookup function.  I am still debugging, but so far nothing.

I always use the @fn and have had no problems before.  When I display the value of @fn to the screen, it appears to have the correct path.  I have also tried using an absolute path and a relative path. 

The backup files are still functioning properly. 

My next step is to transfer the applications off the server and try them locally to see if that makes any difference.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

Be sure to check your application path. Linux is Case-Sensitive so "data\samples\customers.db", is not the same as "Data\Samples\Customers.db". If one letter is not the case that it should be the X command will not work.

If the Application you are looking into has Security, you need to set the X Username and X Password in the application that is doing the looking up. This even applies if you are looking into the same application file, if it has security it must have a valid X Username and X Password.

Start with a simple command such as @XListValues(), If it works move onto @XLookup using the same external element for both the key and the return value. The point is to simplify as much as possible to find out where the error lies.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Don,

It has been a while. How have you been?

If your element names did not change, check your security. Make sure that the X Username and X Password is still a valid login for that application. I saw this about a week ago in another app.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Don Newlin

No personal text

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 9:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank-you!  The security passwords had been changed.  One more thing to add to my check list.

Otherwise, we have moved everything over to Mandrake, and the nclibs, and everything is working very well.  I have set up separate server ports for each of our major applications, and this has been a big improvement.  I can shut down one server without affecting all the other users.  Also, backing up a large application which used to bring everyone to a standstill , now only affects the application being backed up. Also set up a network folder with the startup shortcuts for each application.  Everyone's desktop points to the same folder, so only have to make a change in one place if the application moves to a different network location or runs from a different server port.

IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 10:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank everyone!

I got it them working. One was a case sensitivity issue. The other was a xlookup user password issue.

Mark, I think the command you meant was pwd not cwd. pwd stands for Present Working Directory. But you proabably knew that. I put it here for reference for someone looking latter at this thread.

In Alec's article from Inside Sesame the folder "Sample" was not capitalize in the command I cut and pasted. I also figured out that the case matters down to the file name as well as in Alec's article  in the code it was named zipcode.db and in the "Sample" folder ZipCode.db and it would not work until named so.

Another thing that I figured out is that even if you have set all the users passwords to nothing the file still has security and will not even perform a lookup on itself. I thought with it like that it was open but the security manager thought othewise.

Thanks to Ray and Mark for the help!

Now one other question regarding casesensitivity. The other day I downloaded the Inside Sesame Index database. I could not get it to run  after I unzipped it. In the zip file the names inculding the extensions were all capitals. It would tell me that it could not find a necessary file and then abort. On a whim I rename the file with all small letter and it worked. Now the question is why?   Wink

Now while you figure that out I am going to go level the playing field so to speak. I am going to change all my Sesame folders and file names to all lowercase so I am not second guessing myself when I go to program an x-family command.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 11:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Gee, and I thought I was the only one having problems with a simple @XLU today. I've done many @XLUs in Q&A also.

I've removed all security (home computer running XP).

I have ONE database with two forms - RACES and DRIVERS. RACES includes Car and Driver. DRIVERS include Number and Who. My programming:
On element entry for Driver:
Driver = @XLU(@Fn, "Car", "DRIVERS!Number", "Who")

I've tried using the file name and path - no help.

All elements are TEXT, even though I'm dealing with numbers since I need numbers to display and print with leading zeroes sometimes.

Anyone spot anything obvious? Thanks

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 12:04am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Anyone spot anything obvious?

Yes. Your key value is the literal text "Car". Try removing the quotes from the key parameter.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 12:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Ohh, just WAY too funny! Isn't it amazing how we become so conditioned to those ""quotes??

Thanks Carl!
Laughing as he exits!!

IP Logged