Normal Topic XLookup Not Gathering Latest Data (Read 817 times)
Carl Underwood
Members

XLookup Not Gathering Latest Data
Feb 26th, 2006 at 6:40am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

While working in my Invoice application, I often need to open my Commissions application, which does XLookups to the invoice data.

I just discovered that Commissions does not get data from Invoice if the data was added after opening Commissions. Plus, any changes I make to existing records in Invoice do not show up in Commissions - only the original data gets retrieved, without the changes.

I just went live with the Sesame version of my Invoice application, but have been using the Sesame version of Commissions to XLookup to the Q&A version of Invoice for quite a while now, which did retrieve data from new Invoice records.

I know that the XLookups are still functioning, because I can delete some of the LEs in Commissions and trigger programming to run the XLookups again. This fills the LEs agian, but with the old Invoice data that was in place when Commissions was first opened.

I tried to save Commissions via the "Save Application" icon, thinking that this might force it to re-read the Invoice file, but it does not. So, How can I work with both applications open, and get the latest data to come across with XLookup?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: XLookup Not Gathering Latest Data
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 1:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
I take it that both applications are being run standalone?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 1:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, they are.

Are you saying that I need to have a network pack, just to do an XLookup to an open application? Cry

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 2:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
No. That's not just what you are doing. You are simultaneously running two servers and two clients against the same application. Thereby you end up with the same application loaded onto two different servers, making essentially two copies of the same application. Since the one server is read only (only running XLookups) there isn't a data safety issue, but it will not have the latest data if you are simultaneously making changes in the other server.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 3:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bummer... I guess I'll have enter the key values in Commissions, and go back later to cycle through them in order to trigger the XLookups after the Invoice app is closed.

Quote:
Since the one server is read only (only running XLookups) there isn't a data safety issue, but it will not have the latest data if you are simultaneously making changes in the other server.

I prefer data integrity over a little convenience. Wink

Well, thanks for making sense of it. At least now I know why it was acting that way. Now that I think of it, the Q&A version of Invoice did have it's sharing mode set to "Allow". That's why Q&A was letting me see data changes in Invoice, even though it was open in a separate session of Q&A. So, I suppose I would need a 2 user network license to do the same in Sesame?

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 3:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Its really a policy issue, not a technology issue.

I may (probably only in 2.0) change it so that the second standalone knows to reload if it detects changes in the external application. But that is the sort of change that requires managerial approval.

IP Logged