Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Server Administration Problem (Read 2779 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Server Administration Problem
Mar 5th, 2006 at 7:13am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I'm finally trying to get "back to business," and have encountered a new problem.

I have a locked file so I opened Sesame, selected File, Server Administration. I typed in the Login (admin) and Password (hello) and "Accept" and nothing happens.  Ultimately, I get a  message that "The program is not responding."

The log states:

S_ENG 510600 Default Admin Login
S_ENG Logging Start

Fortunately, this particular locked file is not critical to my needs.  I am very concerned; however, that one of my essential databases could get locked and that I would not be able to unlock it.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Server Administration Problem
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 2:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi -

I'm finally trying to get "back to business," and have encountered a new problem.

Welcome back!
Quote:
I have a locked file so I opened Sesame, selected File, Server Administration. I typed in the Login (admin) and Password (hello) and "Accept" and nothing happens.  Ultimately, I get a  message that "The program is not responding."

The log states:

S_ENG 510600 Default Admin Login
S_ENG Logging Start

Fortunately, this particular locked file is not critical to my needs.  I am very concerned; however, that one of my essential databases could get locked and that I would not be able to unlock it.

Thanks!

On one hand it sounds like you are locking up trying to open the admin interface. Yet, on the other hand, you are able to see the log file, which is in the admin interface.

Is it locking up while opening the admin interface and you are using some alternative way to look at the log file? Or, is it locking up at some other point?

In either case, if you want to keep working while we investigate, there is a command line utility called "sunlock.exe" that performs the same function as unlock application in the admin interface. You will find it in the Sesame\Utilities\Lantica directory. Its invocation syntax is:

> sunlock your_application.db

You can find out more about sunlock on page 493 of the User's Guide - Appendix 5.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

Bob Hansen was trying to help me with this problem and here is what we did.

1)  First - he uploaded a copy of his program (in case the version of 1.1.3 HF 1 I was using was "corrupted").

That should rule out a problem with the copy of the program itself.

2) We opened the Sesame program using my short cut.  (I was unable to open Server Administration)

He created a new shortcut and the same thing happened.

That should rule out a problem with the short cut itself - although perhaps this distinction provides a "clue".

3)  Using Windows Explorer, we opened Sesame.

Starting Sesame this way, we were able to access Server Administration (which is how I was able to see the log info); however, I was in the C:\Sesame\Program directory and was unable to change it to C:\Sesame\Data (where my programs reside).

He did point out sunlock.exe (which I found in C:\Sesame\Utilities\Lantica); however, when I click on it to execute, I see a "flash" and nothing happens.

I hope this provides sufficient information to identify the cause of the problem.

Thanks!

GEE - IT'S GOOD TO BE "BACK"!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 5:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is one more issue that was not mentioned:

When he opens System Admin by double clicking on sesame.exe in Explore (shortcuts won't allow System Admin), he then encounters another problem:  The ability to choose files does not work.  The combo box is showing one path, like C:\Sesame\Program, and it is not possible to move up/down.

As Spencer noted, he reloaded another copy of sesame.exe and this made no difference.  So it would seem that the sesame file is not corrupeted.

So there are two issues:
1.  Cannot get into System Admin using shortcut, but can get in form direct execution in Explore.  Failure occurs when clicking on Enter, after accepting name and password.
2.  Once in to System Admin (using sesame fn Explore), cannot browse through tree to select and folder/files.

Sesame.exe has been replaced.
New shortcuts were created, same result.
System log shows error code 510600 when System Admin fails. 
----------------

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark -

Bob Hansen was trying to help me with this problem and here is what we did.

1)  First - he uploaded a copy of his program (in case the version of 1.1.3 HF 1 I was using was "corrupted").

That should rule out a problem with the copy of the program itself.

2) We opened the Sesame program using my short cut.  (I was unable to open Server Administration)

He created a new shortcut and the same thing happened.

That should rule out a problem with the short cut itself - although perhaps this distinction provides a "clue".

3)  Using Windows Explorer, we opened Sesame.

Starting Sesame this way, we were able to access Server Administration (which is how I was able to see the log info); however, I was in the C:\Sesame\Program directory and was unable to change it to C:\Sesame\Data (where my programs reside).

Double check the "Start In" setting on the icon's property dialog. Make sure that it is pointing to where your s_conf.cnf file actually resides. Look for additional sesame log files. Are they in the places you would expect?

In general, some setting or directory arrangement must have changed. Possibly a file permission? There are only two thing Sesame does at that juncture: it writes to the log file (check if that has permission) and it reads the licences file. If there is no log file, Sesame will make one. If there is no s_conf.cnf file, Sesame will assume a single user license and default the admin password. But if the log file exists, but for some unknown reason cannot be written to, or if the s_conf.cnf file has been corrupted (you wouldn't believe how many people try to open/edit either file in MSWord!), I suppose there might be trouble.

We have tested here with read only settings and with corrupted files, and have not been able to produce a lock up. But it is impossible to produce exactly identical corruption as might be found in the field

Ray has been investigating a similar sounding problem - on the forum under the thread "Help with Help". We have not been able to reproduce the problem here at all.
Quote:
He did point out sunlock.exe (which I found in C:\Sesame\Utilities\Lantica); however, when I click on it to execute, I see a "flash" and nothing happens.

It is a command line utility and must be provided with the filename (and path) of the application file (.db) that you want to unlock. You cannot run it successfully from explorer - because explorer will not allow you to specify the application filename argument.
Quote:
I hope this provides sufficient information to identify the cause of the problem.

Thanks!

GEE - IT'S GOOD TO BE "BACK"!

Its nice to have you back. We, here at Hammer, were all saddened to hear why you were taking a "leave of absence".

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
There is one more issue that was not mentioned:

When he opens System Admin by double clicking on sesame.exe in Explore (shortcuts won't allow System Admin), he then encounters another problem:  The ability to choose files does not work.  The combo box is showing one path, like C:\Sesame\Program, and it is not possible to move up/down.

As Spencer noted, he reloaded another copy of sesame.exe and this made no difference.  So it would seem that the sesame file is not corrupeted.

So there are two issues:
1.  Cannot get into System Admin using shortcut, but can get in form direct execution in Explore.  Failure occurs when clicking on Enter, after accepting name and password.
2.  Once in to System Admin (using sesame fn Explore), cannot browse through tree to select and folder/files.

Sesame.exe has been replaced.
New shortcuts were created, same result.
System log shows error code 510600 when System Admin fails. 
----------------

When running from the icon, it looks like it is not finding his "s_conf.cnf" file. That is the 510600 warning. Looking at the code now - I think I see the problem.

Does he have an s_conf.cnf file? Is it in the right place?

When running from explorer, the "Start In" path is not correct, so the system cannot find the rootdir.ini - and you are locked into the default Start In path - which is why he cannot navigate.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I read everything posted and I just don't know where to go from here.

I have checked the "Start In" setting on the icon's property dialog and it is set for C:\Sesame (which is where I want it).

I did a search for s_conf.cnf and did not find it; however, since you said Quote:
If there is no s_conf.cnf file, Sesame will assume a single user license and default the admin password.
and since I have a single-user license, I'm assuming the s_conf.cnf file is not needed.

Regarding not being able to change directories, when starting the Server Administration from Windows Explorer, it sounds to me that you are saying that is "expected" behavior.   Since I would not normally start Sesame that way, that is NOT a concern to me.

As for Sunlock.exe - as I had said previously - I was not aware of the utility and I did not read about it.  Thanks to your feedback, I just tried it with the "run" command, specifying the target file and it worked just fine ... so that is a great "stop-gap" solution. 

I would of course prefer being able to run Server Administration in the "normal" (easier to use) way ... so ..... now what?  Smiley  (Perhaps if you sent me a copy of Sesame 2.0 that would fix the problem!)   roflol

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 7:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
From some experiments here, the only way that I can reproduce the problem is by having a very corrupted log file. Could you rename your log file(s) to something other than s_log0000.log to something Sesame cannot use, like "spencer0000.log" and try running again from the icon? Make sure you find all of the log files on your system. Do not delete them - Ray might want to see them.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 7:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

KUDOS!

What a simple fix, once you know to use it.  lol  (But, darn, I was still hoping I could connive a copy of version 2.0.  I'll just have to come up with some other plan).

I renamed the log file, started Sesame from my shortcut and accessed the Server Administration successfully - and a new log file was created.

Here's some additional info.

1)  The size of the original (renamed file) is 753 MB, whereas the newly created log file is only 400 KB.  Both reside in C:\Sesame

2)  There are six (6) additional s_log0000.log files in the same directory, ranging in size from 1.23 kb to 13.4 kb.

Are they all needed?

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 7:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark -

KUDOS!

What a simple fix, once you know to use it.  lol  (But, darn, I was still hoping I could connive a copy of version 2.0.  I'll just have to come up with some other plan).

I renamed the log file, started Sesame from my shortcut and accessed the Server Administration successfully - and a new log file was created.

Here's some additional info.

1)  The size of the original (renamed file) is 753 MB, whereas the newly created log file is only 400 KB.  Both reside in C:\Sesame

Certainly the 753 MB file is way too big. The biggest a log file should ever get is 4,140,012 bytes (or so). I suspect that that one is not really a log file at all. Are you sure that the new one is 400 KB - not 4 KB? A new log file should be about 4 KB.
Quote:
2)  There are six (6) additional s_log0000.log files in the same directory, ranging in size from 1.23 kb to 13.4 kb.

Are they all needed?

Also a bit odd - how can you have multiple files with the same name in the same directory? Are you sure they are not s_log0001.log and s_log0002.log, etc...?

Are they needed? I'm not sure. Check the file dates on them and see if they might contain information from any recent events of note. In general, no - you don't need to keep old unused log files around.

Ray has been working in the log code in Sesame. I'll have him go through it with a fine tooth comb and see if he can toughen it up a bit when confronted with the truly unexpected.
Quote:
Thanks!

You're welcome. And, once again, welcome back!

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 8:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

You are right about the size of the new file.  What looked like 400 kb was actually 4.00 kb  (hard to see those teeny decimal points at my age).  lol

You are also right that the log files were actually in different directories (something I somehow overlooked, probably because I limited my search to c:\sesame and forgot that it would also include subdirectories of that path).

The original renamed and the new recreated log are in C:\Sesame

The others are in subdirectories (under C:\Sesame) of:

data
  program
  samples
  utilities
  utilities\Lantica
  utilities\sesame\arcade

Can I still get rid of them?

In any event, I am delighted that everything appears to be working correctly now.

Thanks again!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Glad to see you are working again Spencer. 1 AM is too early to be working on these things ....

Quote:
When running from explorer, the "Start In" path is not correct, so the system cannot find the rootdir.ini - and you are locked into the default Start In path - which is why he cannot navigate.
That makes sense, so no need to worry about that.  But why would that allow System Admin to open from command, but not from shortcut?  Does this have a different call to logging somehow?

I did not look for s_conf.cnf file, because I believe Spencer is using standalone, not multi-user version.

And I know that I did not open the log file in Word or any other utility, and I know that Spencer did not do that either while I was connected to his system

And from all the discussions above, it sounds like the original problem may have been a corrupted log file, correct?

Will have to add this fix to my special Sesame notes.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote: Quote:

Another Quote: Quote:
That makes sense, so no need to worry about that.  But why would that allow System Admin to open from command, but not from shortcut?  Does this have a different call to logging somehow?

No matter how many layers of GUI MS heaps on top of the OS, Windows is still primarily a command line driven OS (as they all are - really). Because of that, when any command is run, it must have a "current working directory" - which is basically the same as doing a "CD" to that directory before running any particular command.

When Sesame is started with the icon, it looks to the icon's properties to determine the CWD. But when run from explorer, it uses the defaults set for explorer. In each case it looks for its files, including which log file to use, based on the CWD. If it can't find the log file it makes a new one. So if kicked off from the icon, and the icon has the "Start In" set to C:\Sesame\Data, it will look for and use the log file in that directory. If started from explorer, it may have a CWD of C:\, and look for its log file there.

In Spencer's case, the log file existing where the icon's properties put the CWD was corrupt. The log file where explorer put the CWD was either non-existent, or at least - not corrupt. So when Spencer tried to write to the log file using Sesame launched from the icon, he would lock up. When he ran from explorer, he did not.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 1:10am
Print Post Print Post  
I know that he had changed CWD some time ago, so that would explain multiples log under Sesame folders.

Ok....that clears up a lot. 
Trying to recap what I think this provides as a result.

This means that multiple applications can have their own logs if the shortcut has a different CWD for each of them. 

And logs are client based, not server based.  If need to look at log for an application on a network, may need to look at the logs on each workstation.

And the log file and the s_conf.cnf files need to be in CWD for proper operation.  If log file does not exist, Sesame will make one.  If s_conf.cnf does not exist, Sesame will function as single user.

Thanks for the reminders and clarifications.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 1:16am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
And logs are client based, not server based.  If need to look at log for an application on a network, may need to look at the logs on each workstation.

They are both. Remember that Sesame is the same executable, whether run as client, server, or standalone. Both the client and the server can (and will) write to log files. If run standalone, that will be the same file. Of course, if client/server there will be a log file on the server and another on the client.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print