Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Retrieving only some subform records (Read 1660 times)
obfusc88

No personal text

Retrieving only some subform records
Mar 10th, 2006 at 3:22am
Print Post Print Post  
I have a membership form similar to a Sales Order, but only want to print selected line items vs. all of them.

I have a parent form with a table-view subform.  There is only one record for any parent individual. 

The subform has many records, one field has the current year of that records, ie: 1984, 1999, 2004, etc.  This year is a text value.  Each sub record also has a field that has a ParentRecord ID.  There may be multiple lines with the same year, those are what I want to get.

------------------------------
I need to print parent records that only show subform records for a specific year, but cannot find a way to do the retrieve.

My first retrieve was for the parent individual's name, and the subform field for year=2006, only wanting to see the Parent and the four lines for 2006, but get a total of all 14 subform records for all years.

My next retrieve was on the subform section only, entering 2006 in the field and entering the correct value into the ParentRecordID for the subform.  Still brings up the Parent, but still brings up all 14 of the subform records.

My next retrieve just enters 2006 in the year field but now I get all parents who have a subform record for 2006.

I can retrieve from the subform form as standalone, but now I don't have any of the Parent information, Name, address, YTD values, contacts, etc.

How is it possible to do this?

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Retrieving only some subform records
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 4:15am
Print Post Print Post  
You could filter out the unwanted subrecords if you use PrintString programming to do your printing.

But, if you are printing via "Print Form" on the command tree, I don't think you can limit which subrecords show up along with the parent record. Though, maybe Mark or Ray would have a solution in that case.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:18am
Print Post Print Post  
Not using Print Form or PrintString

Am using Export to create MergeLetter ascii file to use with Word.

Can I maybe make special form with programming to make  entire subform record invisible if year <> xxxx ?

What would programming look like to do that?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 1:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can loop through the subrecords in code and use File I/O to write out only those that match your criteria.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 1:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Programming can handle that. Rather than using the export feature, use FileWrite and it's related commands.

You could have code in the parent form which uses @FormFieldValue to retrieve data from the subform records, and condtionally (based on the data itself) whether or not to send it to the export file that you create with FileWrite. This would be contained in a loop that performs this on each subrecord.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 1:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ahhh!  Smiley

While I was composing my post, Erika posted with a much simpler way to state it. Grin

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 4:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
So, it does sound like there is no way to bring up a form with limited subform records.

So the only solution to do this with a MergeLetter is to use File I/O tools to create the data file.   Lots of work to do that, maybe Version 2 will have new tools to solve that.

How about an existing method of creating the merge data file with all the subrecords, and then parsing/editing the data file to remove the lines that are not needed?  Any ideas about that?

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 4:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
How about an existing method of creating the merge data file with all the subrecords, and then parsing/editing the data file to remove the lines that are not needed?  Any ideas about that?
If you are comfortable with RegEx tools, you might be able to do something like this:

1.  Add a new first and last element to the subform records. and fill with a unique value to ID record start and end.  Now do the normal export that includes all sub records.
2.  Use RegEx on the exported data file to locate unwanted value between those markers, and replace with nothing.

Example, start with this containing all sub records:
"Parent Record elements","Recordheader", "Record1 elements","year=2005","more Record1 elements","RecordTrailer", "Recordheader", "Record2 elements","year=2006","more Record2 elements","RecordTrailer", "Recordheader", "Record3 elements","year=2005","more Record3 elements","RecordTrailer", "Recordheader", "Record4 elements","year=2006","more Record4 elements","RecordTrailer"

Use Regex to look for RecordHeader followed by any data, followed by year=2005, followed by any data, followed by RecordTrailer, and replace that string with nothing.  That would result with only having records for year=2006, like this:
"Parent Record elements", "Recordheader", "Record2 elements","year=2006","more Record2 elements","RecordTrailer","Recordheader", "Record4 elements","year=2006","more Record4 elements","RecordTrailer"

Exact RegEx syntax will very depending on what RedEx tools you are using.  If you are not familiar with RegEx this may not make much sense,  Which reminds me, Mark ...... I have asked about RegEx a few times over the past few years wondering if it would be available to us.  Will any RegEx tools be available in Version 2.0?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 4:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you do not know RegEx you can edit your Merge Data file in Sbasic using the String Array Commands found on pages 103-112 of the 1.1 Programming Guide.

Read the File into a String using @Insert
Set the String Array Separator to be @NewLine()
Loop through the records
Use DeleteStringArray() to remove the records that you do not want to merge
Write the String Array out to the Merge Data file

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Which reminds me, Mark ...... I have asked about RegEx a few times over the past few years wondering if it would be available to us.  Will any RegEx tools be available in Version 2.0?

Yes. There is a regular expression search option in 2.0.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray's way sounds easier than Bob's way and what is RegEx anyway?

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Yes. There is a regular expression search option in 2.0.
Great....hope it has Replace as well as Search abilities.  Also hope for POSIX and lookaround tools?  Getting greedy now (hmmm greediness also?)

Quote:
what is RegEx anyway?
RegeX is for Regular Expressions.  The quick answer is to say it is an advanced method of locating and manipulating generic string patterns.

I think the best reference on RegEx is "Mastering Regular Expressions",Second Edition by Jeffrey Friedl, published by O'Reilly.  Was about $40 about 5 years ago.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regex for history ond more info re RegEx

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 8:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.  I decided to try this one from Ray.  Quote:

Read the File into a String using @Insert
Set the String Array Separator to be @NewLine()
Loop through the records
Use DeleteStringArray() to remove the records that you do not want to merge
Write the String Array out to the Merge Data file

I was able to follow until I had to loop and Delete

Here is an abbreviated sample of normal export file.  Fields from FirstName through Phone are from the Parent.  This is followed by 6 fields for each subform record.
Code
Select All
FirstName^MiddleName^LastName^IDNumber^Address1^Address2^City^State^Zip5^Zip4^Country^Phone^ActivityDate1^Activity1^Fee1^Points1^RunningTotal1^MembershipYears1^ActivityDate2^Activity2 ^Fee2^Points2^RunningTotal2^MembershipYears2^ActivityDate3^Activity3^Fee3^Points3^RunningTotal3^MembershipYears3^ActivityDate4^Activity4^Fee4^Points4^RunningTotal4^MembershipYears4^ActivityDate5 ^Activity5^Fee5^Points5^RunningTotal5^MembershipYears5^ 

Because "records" are from subform then replacing separator with newline() in this file does not result in separate records to delete, it ends up with separate fields to delete.  Here is a result of replacing separator with newline()

Code
Select All
FirstName
MiddleName
LastName
IDNumber
Address1
Address2
City
State
Zip5
Zip4
Country
Phone
ActivityDate1
Activity1
Fee1
Points1
RunningTotal1
MembershipYears1
ActivityDate2
Activity2
Fee2
Points2
RunningTotal2
MembershipYears2
ActivityDate3
Activity3
Fee3
Points3
RunningTotal3
MembershipYears3
ActivityDate4
Activity4
Fee4
Points4
RunningTotal4
MembershipYears4
ActivityDate5
Activity5
Fee5
Points5
RunningTotal5
MembershipYears5 

-----------------------------------
Suppose I want to remove sub records 3 and 4 because the Fee>10.

How do I loop through all of these to delete the unwanted fields.  If I test for Fee>10 then I am already on third field of the six fields that I want to delete, starting at ActivityDate3.  Some way of counting position then replacing in string from (current position-2) through (current position+3)?  How would I do that since I already passed fields I want to delete?  Sample here only shows 5 subrecords, but could be hundreds and there are many more fields than shown here.

Did I do something wrong here?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 3:27am
Print Post Print Post  
How did you produce the file you are using in @insert? It looks like the output from Tom's mail merge program. He usually uses the caret as a separator.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 10:52am
Print Post Print Post  
That was a good catch.  The merge data was based on an article from Inside Sesame.  I forgot to look at button program for merge letter and thought it was using normal Export.  But now that I look at it I can see that I am actually using File I/O, so I will have to look at the other suggestions. 

Hammer already suggested doing that on 3/10 but I wanted to use normal export instead of writing programming for File I/O.  So I will look at that again.

IP Logged