Normal Topic Text Orientation (Read 613 times)
Carl Underwood
Members

Text Orientation
Mar 21st, 2006 at 5:02am
Print Post Print Post  
Is there a way to print text in two orientations on the same page?

I know I can change the page orientation with PrintPageOrientation(), but that changes the entire page. I just want to change some selected text without affecting the rest of the page.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Text Orientation
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2006 at 2:11am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Carl....

Similar to a suggestion I made to Spencer for envelopes ... try adding another printer with default orientation set for landscape in addition to normal portrait printer.  Now you can change printers at any point in your PrintString routine,

Theoretically, in my mind, I think this should work, but you will have to experiment with it.  Just need to keep interspersing AlternatDefaultPrinter("Landscape") with RestoreDefaultPrinter(), and switch back and forth, resetting the position to start printing from.

When you are done, you will be able to provide us with another article in Inside Sesame.... Grin

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

PRe: Text Orientation
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2006 at 3:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob,

I already experimented with what I think is essentially the same thing. I used PrintPageOrientation() a few times to change orientation back and forth, using PrintString() in between. But whatever page orientation mode is called last, is the one that controls the whole page.

Do you know if Spencer actually got text to print in two directions on the same envelope?

Even if this approach would work, I'm afraid the text in Landscape mode is in the opposite direction than I was looking for anyway. Undecided  Probably what I really need is a new function that could be called just before PrintString() to control the orientation of the text. But it's not that important that I be able to do this.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2006 at 4:06am
Print Post Print Post  
I checked Google for print orientation tools.  Hoped to find a utility that can print as you want.  Maybe print mulitple segments of a page using utilities, and append them as a complete document?  Bad news is that I did not see anything that looked good.

But.....then I remembered that Word has "Word Art" tool to reorient printing.  Maybe print to a file, then open with Word and use Word Art there?  If consistent needs, then maybe you can make macros in Word to handle the task.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2006 at 1:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for your help, but don't waste any more effort on this. It's not worth the trouble.

The reason I wanted to do this in the first place, was so I could be cheap and print on the deposit slips that I already have. But they do make deposit slips that are laid out with all horizontal boxes specifically for use in printers. (The ones I currently have are the manual type, and are laid out with the boxes in two orientations.)

I just thought that maybe there was something in SBasic that I was overlooking that could do this. But again, I don't really need to do this. Though, it might be a neat feature for Version 2. I'm sure someone may find a need for such a feature.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged