Normal Topic Application already being served?? (Read 774 times)
digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Application already being served??
Mar 24th, 2006 at 5:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
no one else uses the program yet. I reconciled several times early in day with no problem (that I was aware of) when I realized later some of the programing wasn't running I figured I must have changed it after I reconciled so tried it again. That is when I got the error.

I can get in and access the data but it refuses to reconcile. When I pull up task manager I do not see any sesames listed as still running. Unlocking (tho it wasn't "locked") did not phase it. When I get into the server admin it shows 192.168.1.110 CXT1 (I don't know if that is one or 2 clients but I selected them all and said shut them down. didnt help. was probably just the client I was logged into because it did shut that one down.)

Anyplace I should start looking for issues???

It did allow me to save as a new database but it doesn't help. All the data is in the one it will not allow me to reconcile. The data itself isn't valuable because it is just an old copy of customer files. The problem is if it happened once they had started using sesame & all the current info was threatened I need to know how to fix it. Tongue

Thanx bunches

So much time and so little to do . . . strike that, reverse it.
YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Application already being served??
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 6:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
You will get that message if Sesame Server still has the application loaded when you try to reconcile. You can verify this by looking on the Sesame Server window in the field that says "Open Applications:".

First thing you want to do is open a Sesame Client
Open your DB file
Click the blue save button in the Upper Left hand Corner
Click File->Close
Click File->Server Administration
Click Notify All Clients
Click Stop this Server
Verify that Sesame Server has shut down
Re-start Sesame Server
Open Sdesigner
Open your DSR file
Reconcile the changes to the DB file

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 6:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
GrinThanx for the speedy response.

However, what caused the situation in the first place & what can I do to keep it from happening it again? I don't have ready access to the server. Luckily the guy using that computer happened to be here.

Prior to the total failure I had tried to reconcile a couple times and the updates didn't update. I am tentative enough with the programming without buggaboos popping up Roll Eyes

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 7:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
What caused it? Without being there I have no way to know. It can happen if a client computer is disconnected from the server computer without closing Sesame first. The Application that the client had open will remain loaded on the server computer. Reconciling will produce an error that the file is in use. Once the file is unlocked, Reconcile will appear to work but the changes will not be seen when the DB file is loaded from a Sesame Client. This is because the Reconcile changed the files on the Hard Drive while the Server is using the files in Memory. This leads to a mis-match between what is in Memory and what is on the Hard Drive. Changing a record will write that change out to the Hard Drive in the structure that the Server knows, which may differ from the new structure that the forced reconcile gave the DB file. This causes the files on the Hard Drive to be part of the original structure and part of the forced structure from the reconcile. Upon shutting down the server, the DB file may or may not load depending on the changes that were made in the design from the reconcile and the changes made in the Sesame Client.

This is why before I had you shut down the Server, I had you click that Save button. That Save button does a complete save of the Application that is in memory out to the Hard Drive. It is not needed in normal operation but is needed in this case, when a reconcile is forced upon an open application.

If you are making Design changes to an application, that is being used Client/Server, you should have access to the Server computer. You do not need to be in the same room as it at all times, you just have to be able to walk over to it and see it's screen. The Main reason is so you can see if the application you wish to reconcile is loaded on the Sesame Server. If it is, then the Sesame Server will most likely need to be shut down before you can Reconcile. Another big reason is so you can make a backup before you reconcile. Always make a backup, if for no other reason than the fact that you never know when the power may go out.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 7:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ahhhh, NOW I understand Shocked (at least mostly, will have to dwell on some of it later.) Thank you for taking the time to enlighten me.

Once we are up & running (when ever we can talk them out of Q&A I guess) the guy that works on the server will have to be responsable for crashes and re-sets so it will be ok then.

Thanx again
~Natalie

YIM YIM  
IP Logged