Normal Topic Report oddity (Read 765 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Report oddity
Mar 31st, 2006 at 9:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've been playing with the reports that were brought over from Q&A5.0 when I did the translation of my Workorder database (the one being discussed in the "F000" thread) and have noticed something curious.

In Q&A, the Retrieve spec for my "Equipment" report contains the following in a field called Model1:
Quote:
/=;/.

It appears that what I was trying to do when I created this report was retrieve all records where Model1 was not empty and did not contain a period.  This is the only retrieve restriction.

However, in Sesame the attached Retreive spec has an extra field being queried, Next_Field, which is the last field on my form.  The spec contains the value "*******************t" (19 asterisks and a lower-case t). 

I have no idea where this came from.  I'm pretty sure I followed all the steps in the Translation Guide.  This value could never occur in Next_Field so there's no reason to be searching for it.

Do I have to be worried about data corruption?  This does give me some concern that my other reports are possibly wacky.  Needless to say, this report produces no result, as it finds no matching records.

Any ideas?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Report oddity
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2006 at 9:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
This looks like Q&A corruption. A common symptom is garbage appearing in the last field of a Spec.

You should look carefully at all your reports and specs. You can also use John Dow's DTF Doctor to examine your Q&A databases for corruption.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2006 at 9:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks.  I'm looking at the Spec Manager and I can't even find this spec, to edit it.

Where do I obtain DTF Doctor?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2006 at 9:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks.  I'm looking at the Spec Manager and I can't even find this spec, to edit it.

It wouldn't appear in the Spec Manager. It only exists as a Spec attached to the Report, just like Q&A. To change it, create and save a Retrieve Spec in preview mode. Attach the saved Spec to your Report. That will make a copy of the Spec and attach it to the Report. Once it's attached, you no longer need the original.

Quote:
Where do I obtain DTF Doctor?

http://www.johntdow.com/DTFDoctr.htm

- Hammer
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 8:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 2:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Reading up on DTF Doctor, it sounds a lot like a utility I purchased a few years ago...but I can't remember what the name of that was.  I may already have DTF Doctor and not know it.  Can anyone tell me what the name of the executable file is?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 2:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Reading up on DTF Doctor, it sounds a lot like a utility I purchased a few years ago...but I can't remember what the name of that was.  I may already have DTF Doctor and not know it.  Can anyone tell me what the name of the executable file is?

The one I have is DTFDOCTR.EXE.

- Hammer
IP Logged