Normal Topic Synchronizing Tableview and Formview Subforms (Read 927 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Synchronizing Tableview and Formview Subforms
Apr 2nd, 2006 at 9:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Formview subform is good for Data entry and viewing individual record, while tableview subform is great viewing multiple records in the subform. What I have been working to see if it is possible to synchronize the display of both the subforms based on the same database (the individual elements on both the subforms are linked to the respective field of the same subdatabase), only the views are different, both naturally linked, on the same tab page. What I mean, if you click on a record in the tableview subform, can the formview subform display the same record, so that you can update in formview subform. When  adding data in extend mode, it will be more convinient to add in formview. I did not go anywhere with it so far. Did anyone has successfully attempted to achieve  something like this or similar? Is it possible with the present version of Sesame? If yes, any hint?

Bharat Naik

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Synchronizing Tableview and Formview Subforms
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Bharat,

In the current version if you have two subforms displaying the same set of records at the same time, then a record in one of them will always be locked, as the other subform has it open. For Example: You have three subrecords and they are

Apple
Bat
Cat

The first subform loads the three records and locks the First record("Apple") since it is the active record. The second subform then loads the subrecords and displays the first one("Apple") as locked, since the first subform had it first. When the first subform moves to a different record("Cat"), the Second subform locks the Apple record since it is the current record on that subform. So the first subform which is on the Cat record shows the Apple record as being locked and the second subform which is on the Apple record shows the Cat record as being locked.

So in the current version I would have to say that while it may be possible, there will be limitations to it. However 2.0 allows you with a keystroke, or an SBasic command, to switch a Form View subform to Table View subform and then back again. When you switch from Table View back to Form View the record that you had selected will be shown.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 2:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
However 2.0 allows you with a keystroke, or an SBasic command, to switch a Form View subform to Table View subform and then back again. When you switch from Table View back to Form View the record that you had selected will be shown. -Ray

You are such a tease LoL  Smiley

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 9:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
You are such a tease LoL  Smiley

Us? Tease? Never!

Anyways, if I'm in Customers.db in Sesame 2.0:

and I hit Shift-F6 (toggle view between Form and Table):

And then, if I hit Alt-F6 (toggle standalone view) on the same window:

And then hit Shift-F6 again:

And then, finally hit Alt-F6 again:

But, naw, we'd never tease you about something like this!

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 10:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Looks great. Now, how long will we wait for version 2.0?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 11:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Looks great. Now, how long will we wait for version 2.0?

I can't answer that as a whole. I can only speak for Lantica development. Testing, documentation, marketing, and finally management actually decide when the software, both 1.1 and 2.0 goes out the door.

As far as development is concerned, the work on Sesame 2.0 runtime is winding down. There are still some new features we want to add to SDesigner. Both runtime and designer are already in alpha testing. The testing is going well, but the testers have to split their time between 1.1.4 and 2.0. And, given that the release of 1.1.4 is just around the corner, their attention is not evenly divided.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged