Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Copy a form (Read 2475 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Copy a form
Apr 6th, 2006 at 4:08am
Print Post Print Post  
After translation of Q&A databases and merging two applications, you find two databases in an application with two forms, one in each database.  What I really need is  to merge this two databases along with the forms. So I would have two forms within one database. If the elements with the same name could be  bound to the same database field automatically, it would be a bonus and a lot of reduction of work. I have to do this task quite frequently and I end up making new 2nd form in the first database- exactly the same as the form in the second database and binding a number of elements to the existing fields that is bound to form elements of the first form.

Is there a easy way to accomplish this, having to make the exact form but in different database. At present, Sesame allows to copy a form in the same database, unfortunately that does not help the given scenerio. Is there any new feature to help this in version 2.0?  Is there an easier way to do this in the current version?

In Q&A, I found myself most of the times working in @add mode , while in Sesame it is very convenient to work in update mode because of availability of different design option, where you can bind  elements from different forms to the same database field and there is no need to xlookup or copy to be done while entering data in update mode especially to the elements bounded to the same field. This also avoid duplication of data and conserve resources.  Am I making any sense?

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Copy a form
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 1:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
I was hoping to hear atleast that it could be done in version 2 but then I hope to have finished all my structural changes work in applications long before that. But seriously, I believe, such feature would be useful. It is more like merge Databases in an application, so what it ends up with is one database less and multiple forms in merged database.  Am I making sense here?

Merging Applications and Trimming application are very useful feature for changing structure of applications. Just looking for one more.

Bharat Naik

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 2:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Didn't mean to leave this up in the air. As per your suggestion we are looking into what we can do in 2.0

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 2:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, Thanks.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 3:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
NOTE: Please do not interpret the following post as an argument that this is not a valuable and desirable feature. It is a good feature and I would like to implement it, if possible. I am simply discussing with you the issues involved with doing so.
------------------------------------

Actually, I've been looking at this and it's thorny.  Since building the Form also builds the underlying database, simply dropping a Form whole into an existing data structure creates some issues. It's one of those cases where, no matter what decisions I make, it's the wrong choice for half the people who use it. And it's not a case of a simple yes/no option. I find myself facing questions like "Do I bind the LE's to the existing fields, if the names match?" "What if there is no match?" "Do I unbind or do I create fields?" "What if the field names match, but the data types are different?" "Do I try to match the field (bound) names or the LE names?" "How will the user know what ended up unbound and what didn't?" and so on...

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 3:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
I understand the problem. I just pointed out as I had to do this quite frequently and one has to do it manually to reproduce the same form and thought if there could be an easier way. Thanks.

Bharat

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 2:45am
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

What if we could copy the form, but with all the elements unbound? (And forget the programming - we can either import or cut & paste that in.)

I think it would be easier to go through the elements and manually bind them to the fields, than it would be to recreate the elements and their size, look, color, font, font size, position, tabs, etc.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 11:33am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Erika,

What if we could copy the form, but with all the elements unbound?

I considered that, but it's dangerous to Joe User.  You would end up with a Form that looked like it was saving data, but was actually not. Unless you F9 back to check, you would just be happily throwing away what you typed, since everything is unbound.

Actually, it would only do that once at least one element was bound. Until then, you would fill out the Form, press F10, and it would just stare at you, refusing to save. Frustrating.

We may have found a way to manage the options using something like the Copy spec. I'll let you know how it goes.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 4:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
We may have found a way to manage the options using something like the Copy spec. I'll let you know how it goes.

Glad to hear that. Will it have to wait till version 2.0?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 5:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Given the amount of time it would take to implement, test, and document this ability, I would have to say that Yes it will have to wait till 2.0.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 4:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Here]s a thought about an approach to consider..

Since you can make a loop for all the elements and their positions, could that be written out to a file and them read that file onto a new blank form with some type of macro?

All that would be in the background., but it could become a par of functions called from the Main Menu or a Menu Tree Branch:
1.  ExportForm(DestinationFile) to collect layout type of properties of all LEs
2.  ImportForm(SourceFile) to read the file, look at the element and its properties, and create the elements, duplicating the properties.

This would eliminate the issues of whether or not elements are bound.
--------------------
Probably many good reasons why this would not work, but just a brainstorming idea to throw on the table.  This is definiely a long overdue tool that is needed.  Thanks again for listening.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 12:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
We want to do that too, to allow copying of layouts between applications. But that's a different kettle of monkeys or fish or whatever it is that comes in kettles.  Grin

Actually Bob, we are looking at a process very close to that, but driven by a dialog as opposed to a file.

- Hammer
IP Logged

digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 12:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I considered that, but it's dangerous to Joe User.  You would end up with a Form that looked like it was saving data, but was actually not. Unless you F9 back to check, you would just be happily throwing away what you typed, since everything is unbound.

Speaking from the "Joe User" viewpoint, would it be possible to have a setting or switch or option that would show bound and unbound as different colors?

Or just make you choose either bound or unbound once you opened the copied form? A listing then pops up where you choose either bound or unbound (little check boxes?) then offers the ones you want bound on one side and the fields available on the other, just line em up Grin

(I know this is probably 6 years of work so I am NOT going to hold my breath....unless you would prefer that I do... Roll Eyes)

So much time and so little to do . . . strike that, reverse it.
YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 1:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Or just make you choose either bound or unbound once you opened the copied form? A listing then pops up where you choose either bound or unbound (little check boxes?) then offers the ones you want bound on one side and the fields available on the other, just line em up Grin

This is exactly where we're headed with this.

- Hammer
IP Logged

digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 1:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Whoa! Got to tell madam swami that crystal ball she sold me really works Roll Eyes

So much time and so little to do . . . strike that, reverse it.
YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print