Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Copy a form (Read 2482 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Copy a form
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 2:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Whoa! Got to tell madam swami that crystal ball she sold me really works Roll Eyes

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 2:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Smiley Cheesy Grin!! That's the one! And she told me it was one of a kind, oh well....

So much time and so little to do . . . strike that, reverse it.
YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #17 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 9:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you look on the back of that crystal ball you will see that you have given away the release date for Version 2.0. Shocked Shocked

I bet you thought we would not see that, but the secret is out!  (Right behind "Live Prospect".  I should have written this 13 days ago.) Thanks for the advance info.  Roll Eyes

-------
Let' not forget that unbound elements are still part of the form to be copied,  The distinction only needs to be done based the the technique that is used. 

We could get by with a blank form of unbound elements tied to an empty database that we could then use to do manually binding.  That could be a first generation of CopyForm, and the second generation could include the database fields bound to the elements.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #18 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 2:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm just investigating Sesame and downloaded the demo program yesterday-although the demo apparently does not allow for migrating Q&A databases into Sesame.  We have been using Q&A 4.0 for a number of years.  We primarily use two databases-one for equipment inventory and another to track repairs on the equipment in THAT inventory.  What we would like to do is to merge those two databases if possible to ensure serial numbers for equipment in for repair are accurate,  etc.  
Admittedly, I am a novice at database management.  Our tech. dept. has no time or resourses to write an Access based program for our needs...they are swamped and have incurred personnel and budget cuts...and I really like Q&A and from my first impressions, think Sesame would be a great program to use if I can set it up to meet our needs.  There are only two of us that will be using Sesame.

I'd love to hear from the experts out there!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #19 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 2:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I'd love to hear from the experts out there!

Hi CharlieBrown!

I'm not sure what you want to hear from us about. Sesame can certainly do what you describe, including merging multiple Q&A databases into a single Sesame application.

You might consider signing up for a free live demo. The demonstrators are knowledgable in both Q&A and Sesame. They can probably answer your questions visually , so you can see how it all works.
http://www.lantica.com/demo.html

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #20 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 3:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi CharlieBrown!

I'm not sure what you want to hear from us about. Sesame can certainly do what you describe, including merging multiple Q&A databases into a single Sesame application.

You might consider signing up for a free live demo. The demonstrators are knowledgable in both Q&A and Sesame. They can probably answer your questions visually , so you can see how it all works.
http://www.lantica.com/demo.html

We will definitely be signing up for a live demo.  What I've done in the last 24 hours is back up both our repair and inventory database, taken it home where I have Q&A running on my desktop computer so I can clean up fields, etc...make sure everything is as it should be. 
We operate an equipment repair shop in a faily large school district. We have 2000+ pieces of equipment and repair records running back to 1989...It took me more than a couple of weekends to enter 25 years worth of data that was stuffed in file cabinets into Q&A over 6 years ago.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 3:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just some general info:

1. The Q&A translator will translate your data. You won't have to retype it.

2. Just like in Q&A, you can use functions like @XLookup to find records in one database (like Equipment) that match records in another database (like Repair Records).

If you want a bit of a head start, I've got a series of Webinars on Beginner topics, including Q&A Translation, scheduled for May. People have found the live in-person versions of these classes to be helpful, so you might consider the webinars.
http://www.hammerdata.com/webinar.html

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print