Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) All forms lost! OH NO! (Read 1267 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

All forms lost! OH NO!
Apr 19th, 2006 at 11:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Our server crashed today and after unlocking our application, all our forms are gone but the database and records seem to be intact. (I can only see the data if i build a new form bound to the database fields.) This ap had a lot of forms and TONS of programming that I need to recover.....my last backup is 2 days old Sad

Anyone have this problem before? Is there any hope of recovering?

I've tried reconciling my backup ap but the forms still don't show up. Also, creating a backup of my damaged app only copies the ap without the forms. Perhaps I can 'merge' and 'trim' to get my data into my backup with good forms, but it sounds unlikely.

I've sent it in to tech support but I really need to fix this tonight, hopefully.

Thanks for any insight.

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: All forms lost! OH NO!
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 12:31am
Print Post Print Post  
There's not really much we can do for you tonight. Support will take care of you in the morning.

You might try making a dsr from your two day old backup and reconciling it, but make sure you retain a copy of today's file as I'm not sure what state your app is actually in.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 1:35am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestion...no luck. (Forms still didn't show up.)

I'm also getting an error if I try to change the application name from the actual filename to what it was before "Order".

I'll just wait till tomorrow.

Thanks again for the response....kept me from staying up all night Smiley

Steve

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 1:41am
Print Post Print Post  
Steve,

Sorry to see you are having problems. I know the last thing you want to hear at this moment is talk about back ups.

We have all been in your position were we are kicking ourselves for not having recent back-ups.  Embarrassed

You probably already know how to do this but I thought just incase I would mention this for others that might read this and not be backing up their data frequently enough. (Because of your experience this may scare them into taking backups more seriously)

A simple batch file can be set to run automatically in the middle of the night when all users are off that copies the most recent  .dat .dbf .ddt  and .dsr files. I find a simple method is to create directories 1 – 8 under a directory called bkup on one of the networked machines. Each time the batch file runs it moves the data from 1 to 2 2 to 3 3 to 4 4 -5 5 to 6 6 to 7 7 to 8 and the current data to 1. if you back up once daily this method assures that you have the last 7 days worth of files available and the most recent data available on at least 2 different machines just incase one dies or is stolen.

I am sure there are many other terrific methods to back up data, however if anyone needs to see a sample batch file on how this is done or needs any help with this technique, just let me know.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 2:25am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks BobScott,

We are definately looking for a better way to backup our data. Currently we use "Second Copy" that runs on our serer and backups data every hour, but I have it set to skip our Sesame Data folder becuase it cannot be copied while someone is working in the application, I assume.

I would like to see a thread started discussing various backup techniques and specific details about how to do it....do all users need to exit the app? Does the server need to be shut down?, etc.

Obviously, my manual method of backing up whenever I happen to think about it is not working out Sad

THanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 3:28am
Print Post Print Post  
You are correct about SecondCopy, it does not copy when in use. Quote:
Second Copy only copies files that are not in-use by another program.

When Second Copy encounters a file-in-use, it displays a countdown warning message for 30 seconds (default value) so that the user can close the underlying application. Then it retries to copy the file. If the file is still in use, Second Copy marks this as an error and continues to copy the rest of the files in the profile.

======================
I use a process similar to Bob Scott.  But use one folder with 10 files vs. multiple folders and use Rename vs. Copy to speed up the process.  Destination is also another physical drive.  Simplified content looks something like this.....
Code
Select All
Did CurrentFileName change since last backup?
If  No, exit.  Else Continue
Delete FileName10
Rename FileName9 to FileName10
Rename FileName8 to FileName9
Rename FileName1 to FileName2
Copy CurentFileName to FileName1 

And I have redundant backup to this because the destination folder with the 10 files is also backed up later by a second process to a third different physical drive.  This can run everyday, this example keeps 10 copies vs. 7, but you can make as many as you want.  And rather than running every night, it only runs if the source file has changed, so it will exit on weekends/holidays, etc.  Can do loops of the routine to handle unlimited filenames.

NOTE, I am not doing this with Sesame Code.  I use other utilities, but there is no reason this couldn't be done with Sesame programming. 

Sorry that this is too late for you now,  Suggest making two backup copies of what you have now.  Good luck with your  recovery process with Tech Support.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 11:49am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
but I have it set to skip our Sesame Data folder becuase it cannot be copied while someone is working in the application, I assume.

Sesame only opens the file to save any changes - a very brief operation, and then closes the file again. It would take nearly constant monitoring to detect "file in use".

Earlier, a Linux user needed a script that could detect when a Sesame file is in use and waited for it to be not in use (usually only a matter of milliseconds), before copying it. I don't know if Windows has similar tools, though I suspect that the Unix tools have been ported.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 3:30am
Print Post Print Post  
Just curious Steve, how are you making out with recovery of your forms?   ???

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 3:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
These goes to show that a good backup system is a must. Unless you have multiple revisions of the files, you are likely overwrite the file with a bad one and then nothing can be done.  If I understood it right, Bob Scott suggested last seven daily backups in different folders, one is likely to lose maximum of one day of work. This method gives seven revisions, may be eight, good enough.

The backup should be simple and automatic. GoBack by Symantec (Symantec bought it from Roxio, before that it belonged to Adaptec) bailed me out many a time. It automatically keeps the multiple revisions of files. It also does the system (registry) restore that is now undermined by Microsoft with Windows XP that comes with system restore.

Second Copy gives option to backup automatically every two hours, I think that is really suicidal. What it means that in two hours bad file will overwrite the good one, so you are racing against time. 

I would like to know what are the good file backup systems available in the market. What are the main features one should look for and your good and bad experiences with the systems.

I would like to wish Steve best of luck to recover from the catastrophe.  Yes, catastrophe.... I have gone through that, so I know how taxing that could be.

Bharat Naik

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 5:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
In response to how the recover went....

The Lantican's made a valiant effort, as always, and attacked my problem right away and spent the entire day on it (or more). Unfortunately, hundreds, if not thousands, of orders had been wiped out so the data they were able to recover was just not enough to be usable. I spent the last couple of days piecing my data back together form backups and lots of paperwork.

Yes, I learned my lesson the hard way. Sad

Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions. I see a couple of new posts about backups so I'll pour over them in hopes of a solution that does not cause all users to stop working, close Sesame, restart server, hope it's not locked, etc  Shocked to make a backup.

Thanks again,

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 5:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just as a side note, while attempting to recover Steve's application, we took a look at the datestamps on the records. The oldest record in his application was dated December 9th, 2003. That means the oldest bit of information in the app was built using a Beta copy of Sesame only a few days before the release of Sesame 1.0. The newest bit of data was only a couple of days old when we received it.

Steve's app may the oldest application in continous use outside of Lantica.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 8:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Was the cause for this problem discovered, I know the server crashed, but what caused the forms to disappear, and was any modifications done to the database in Sdesigner right before the crash.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2006 at 2:36pm by proudpoppy »  

IP Logged