Normal Topic one form and many subforms (Read 1283 times)
etejeira

No personal text

one form and many subforms
May 4th, 2006 at 2:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have been working with Sesame databases which include one form and one subform.
Now I want to use two subforms per each form.
How do I go about making a second subform linked naturally with the same original form?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: one form and many subforms
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2006 at 2:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Unless I am misunderstanding your question it is just as you created the first subform.

Open Sdesigner, use redesign / customize forms and add a new subform. choose the subform you desire and the second subform will be added.

Sesame has no problems with lots of subforms on a form.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

etejeira

No personal text

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2006 at 3:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
And if I want to have two forms?
Will each record be tied to the two forms or the records of each form will behave independently?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2006 at 4:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
And if I want to have two forms?

The data in sesame is displayed in field elements that we place on the form were and how we want the data displayed. The actual data is contained in fields. We can display the data through the elements on as many forms as we desire and even on the same form by binding the element to the field we want to see the data from.

All that said if the data is naturally or relationally linked to a record it will display in the element in the linked record.

Quote:
Will each record be tied to the two forms or the records of each form will behave independently?

The record is tied to all the forms. Every record has its own data associated with all forms.

The data in the field tied to the element will be the same on both forms if it is naturally or relationally linked to the record.

I hope this helped. I am sure Ray, The Cow , Hammer  or other forum members will jump in an clarify.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2006 at 9:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
How do I go about making a second subform linked naturally with the same original form?

Quote:

Subforms are linked to the Elements of the MainForm and not to the mainform. Since there are multiple elements in the mainform, there can be multiple subforms as needed. A subform is either has a relational link or a natural link to an element of the mainform.

IP Logged

etejeira

No personal text

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2006 at 1:54am
Print Post Print Post  
OK
I created a second subform allright. No problem.
But what I want to do is to have in the second subforms some fo the fields that I had in the first one.
My first subform is too crouded and I want to pass some of the fileds to a second subform.
These fields are already populated and I want the contents to go also to the second subform.
In other words I want to divide my first subform in two.
Is this possible?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2006 at 3:51am
Print Post Print Post  
Another method that might work well for you is to just ad tabs to the first subform this will double triple or (infinitely) increase the amount of screen space.

Just add a tab on the form your subform is made from and then just move the elements you want onto the tab. I find putting tabs on tabs even works great. An example of this would be a tab for client information. Then a tab on the client information for phone. The phone tab would have multiple tabs for home, work, cell and other. Click on the client info tab to see data click on the tab for the specific phone number you want to see that number. This gives you 4 phone numbers in the space you use for 1.

Edited - removed stuff Hammer said was bad. (I live and learn)
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2006 at 2:22pm by BOBSCOTT »  

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2006 at 11:38am
Print Post Print Post  
Etejeira,

Do not do what you are describing.

If you split the same records into two subforms, you will fiind that:
1) You don't have any good way to synch them up and make sure you are always working on both halves of the same record.
2) If you do get both halves of the same record, you will find that one half is always locked because it is editable by the other half.

If your subform is so large that you have this problem, you may want to consider your design. You may also want to consider using a Form View subform, where you have full layout capabilities and tools like like Tabs to organize your fields.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

etejeira

No personal text

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2006 at 1:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Hammer.
I have decided to continue using one main form and one subform in Form View and use Tabs in the Main Form and in the Subform.
I still have to see how to treat the Tabs when designing reports.

IP Logged