Normal Topic Streaming Audio (Read 814 times)
Carl Underwood
Members

Streaming Audio
Jun 3rd, 2006 at 12:07am
Print Post Print Post  
I know this is really off topic, but here it goes. Smiley

Does anyone know how I can make Windows Media Player persistently play a certain audio stream?

A little background info:
A radio station that I do work for has a repeater site that gets its audio source from streaming audio via a DSL connection to the internet. This streaming audio must be active at all times, since it is the audio source for the transmitter. (The computer at the site is strictly for use as a conduit for the audio to get to the transmitter; it has no other purpose for being there.)

I have set the computer system up to automatically recover by itself after a power outage (including starting Windows Media Player and opening the URL to start the audio stream). This is working out very well, but there is one potential problem that I can foresee happening. If the DSL connection gets interrupted, or if the server sending the audio stream reboots, etc; the media player will eventually time-out and stop trying to reconnect. We currently use VNC (remote access program) to log in and manually check to verify that the audio stream is active. Obviously, it would be much better if Windows Media Player could be permanently persistent in its attempts to reconnect.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Streaming Audio
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 12:29am
Print Post Print Post  
I have spoken with Carl and have provided him with a utility that I think will solve his problem.  Will probably have to wait for the weekend to see how he makes out.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged