Normal Topic Q&A 5.0 Field Names (Read 1199 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Q&A 5.0 Field Names
Jun 3rd, 2006 at 6:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Still working at pre-translation cleanup, this time of my Invoice database.  I'm in the process of legalizing my field names.  This requires renaming fields, of course.

One field name I want to use is "Invoice_No_2", because I have the Invoice number appear on different pages of the record, for user identification while working on the record and for printing purposes.  This will not be necessary once I re-design in Sesame, of course, but until then I have to deal with it.

Anyway, a field that I had formerly named "Invoice_No_2" I've now renamed "Details_Invoice_No" (because it appears on the invoice details page) and I'd like to name a different field "Invoice_No_2".

But Q&A won't let me do this.  "Details_Invoice_No" it accepted quite happily, but it balks on the new "Invoice_No_2" field with the error message:
Quote:
This name is already taught to the IA. Please use another.

If I ever taught the Intelligent Assistant about this database (and I guess I did) it was at least six years ago and no one, and I mean NO ONE, has ever used it since.  Is there a way to "un-teach" the IA, or am I going to have to chump this field name?

Thanks for any help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Q&A 5.0 Field Names
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 10:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
I believe that you need to "Copy design only", and then "Copy selected records" (leaving the retrieve spec blank to copy all records). You'll notice that the second selection on the COPY MENU is "Copy design with IA/QG"; that's the one you DON'T want.

But, you must be sure that the db is 1st generation before copying the design. (I believe you know about this already.)

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Re: Q&A 5.0 Field Names
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 4:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Carl, that's pretty much what I expected.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged