Normal Topic Need to get element properties (Read 1088 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Need to get element properties
Jun 17th, 2006 at 6:53am
Print Post Print Post  
I have hundreds of elements to enter manually to duplicate some forms in different databases since we cannot copy forms across databases.  I am trying to create and use some tools that could be called a Data Dictionary of Element Properties.

I already have Tom's utility, have made a number of modifications to it, but am still lacking a lot of information that I need.  So I have a few questions:

1.  I seem to recall seeing a list of codes for Element Types and Field Types.  But I cannot find/remember the list anywhere.  This must be the same source that Tom used in his tool.  Where are the master lists?  Do they change as new Sesame releases occur?  Are the existing lists current for 1.1.3?

2.  I need to get element properties for colors, fonts, sizes, etc. for labels, text, and backfill.

3.  I need to get element properties for box shapes, styles, fill info.

4.  I need to distinguqis "static text" to know labels from boxes, from lines, etc.

5.  I need to ID Radio Button Groups and buttons.

6.  I need to ID subforms on parent forms, and ID linkage information.

7.  I want to get lists of combo box hardcoded picklist values

8.  I want to get hardcoded initial values of elements where they exist.

This was just a partial list, running freely into my keyboard.

Perhaps there are some undocumented functions that can help provide me with some of this information?
(HINT: The correct answers should either be 1) "YES", or 2) I can test a beta version of 2.0 that will have those functions).

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Need to get element properties
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 2:15am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Jun 17th, 2006 at 6:53am:
I have hundreds of elements to enter manually to duplicate some forms in different databases since we cannot copy forms across databases.  I am trying to create and use some tools that could be called a Data Dictionary of Element Properties.

Until 2.0, I imagine it would be much easier to copy the the application files for the forms that you want. Then, on the copies, strip out everything you don't need for the database you are going to. Then edit the fields (not the LEs) to match the database you are headed toward. Then change the LEs as needed. There shouldn't need to be many changes in that Sesame will relink existing LEs to renamed fields. After the fields are set to match the target database, use ASCII import to bring in the existing data (which should now match quantity and types of the fields). If need be, merge the new database into the original application. The main reason I would recommend this approach is that the fields only have a handful of attributes that need edited (name and type), whereas LEs have about 50.

Quote:
Perhaps there are some undocumented functions that can help provide me with some of this information?
(HINT: The correct answers should either be 1) "YES", or 2) I can test a beta version of 2.0 that will have those functions).

No, the only thing in Sesame that is specifically and intentially undocumented is the "Easter Egg". No one has found it yet - or if they have, they haven't told us.

if my suggested approach (above) won't do, I would recommend that you contact Lantica. Sesame 2.0 can move forms between databases, so it probably wouldn't take very long to relink a form or two. You would need to supply a list of what LEs link to which fields. At the very least, Lantica can supply a list of the characteristics you are seeking from your forms.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 2:46am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
1.  I seem to recall seeing a list of codes for Element Types and Field Types.  But I cannot find/remember the list anywhere.  This must be the same source that Tom used in his tool.  Where are the master lists?
Found them, right where they belong in the Programming Guide, with @ElementType(), pages 115-117.  Arrrgh! Embarrassed

Thanks for the suggestion to merge, but merging won't work in this case.  I actually need to merge froms, not just databases.  I am working with a design I inherited that has four different databases that should have been, and soon will be, just one database.  This will eliminate many duplicate entries, synching problems, and duplicative programming, report designs, etc.

But part of doing this is taking six individual forms, with tabbed pages and subforms, and putting them onto one combined form that is tabbed for each of the previous single forms.  Will be using conditional visibility on tabs and elements.  Ultimately many duplicate fields will go away, but for now, this will combine them.  Some duplicate elements will now become ReadOnly, and filled in by elements on other Tabs on this one form.  Want to maintain pixel positions, colors, etc. of existing elements on new Tabs.  End users should see same as now, but all in one database vs. multiples.

I have completed setting up one form manually on a new TabPage.  I then made that Tab the first one.  I was then able to easily import the records from the original database in the same order.  Did a Mass Update to the new records to ID them as imports from old database.  Now I will do the same with the next page, temporarily making it the first one to simplify the import specs.

So, now on to Tab2, adding one element at a time, then bringing in the programming for that original form, setting up the initial values, restrictions, combo lists, etc.  Only have another three to go. Arrrgh!

Not sure what you mean about contacting Lantica re using version 2.  Are you suggesting that if I provide some info, they may be able to generate the info I want in some type of file?  That is probably worth a phone call on Monday.  Certainly won't be done by then.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 1:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Jun 18th, 2006 at 2:46am:
Quote:
1.  I seem to recall seeing a list of codes for Element Types and Field Types.  But I cannot find/remember the list anywhere.  This must be the same source that Tom used in his tool.  Where are the master lists?
Found them, right where they belong in the Programming Guide, with @ElementType(), pages 115-117.  Arrrgh! Embarrassed

Thanks for the suggestion to merge, but merging won't work in this case.  I actually need to merge froms, not just databases.

The suggestion is not to simply merge databases. I was suggestion a way that allows you to move (by copying) a form from one database to another, without having to laboriously copy the individual elements on the copied form. The idea being that it is simpler to move the database than the form. The merge is merely an optional convenience after the fact.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean about contacting Lantica re using version 2.  Are you suggesting that if I provide some info, they may be able to generate the info I want in some type of file?  That is probably worth a phone call on Monday.  Certainly won't be done by then.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Version 2 knows how to move a form (relink) from one database to another. It is unclear to me if that is your actual intent. Your first post (first sentance) seemed to imply that that was the case. But this latest posts seems to be saying that you want to merge forms together along with their linked databases.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 3:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Jun 17th, 2006 at 6:53am:
I already have Tom's utility, have made a number of modifications to it,

Bob what modifications have you made to it?

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 6:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob.......

1.  Added a few more cells in top table, wanted Computer and User ID and Windows and Sesame versions.
2.  Added name of database to print.  Cell is there, but @database is not.
3.  Modified ReadOnly to ReadOnly-Normal and ReadOnly-Greyed.  At time of utility design, only had RO=1, now have 1 and 2.
4.  Reversed sequence ot X/Y and Width/Height columns, preferred same sequence as shown in Editor vs. Viewer.
5.  Moved comments about sorting and printing landscape to top above first table, just trying to shrink down a bit.

May submit details to Inside Sesame for article.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged