Normal Topic Sesame Version confusion (Read 920 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Sesame Version confusion
Jun 18th, 2006 at 2:20am
Print Post Print Post  
I am using Sesame 1.1.3 HF1.

I have run a report displaying Sesame Version with @Platform.
It is reporting out as Version 0.243000

I now see the information in the manuals that the internal version will be reported.
Is there some type of cross-reference available to identify the correct "public" version number?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame Version confusion
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 2:36am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Jun 18th, 2006 at 2:20am:
I am using Sesame 1.1.3 HF1.

I have run a report displaying Sesame Version with @Platform.
It is reporting out as Version 0.243000

I now see the information in the manuals that the internal version will be reported.
Is there some type of cross-reference available to identify the correct "public" version number?

There isn't a one-to-one correspondence. The internal version number refers to the application files format. Any version of Sesame can only read files that have the same internal version number. Ray may correct me, but I believe that all post beta 1.x.x version of Sesame have used the same internal version number and file format.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 2:56am
Print Post Print Post  
It sounds like this only has value to Lantica, don't see any value to end users.

The site I am working with had three different versions in use on multiple stations.  Some stations were reporting "cannot compile" errors, but others did not.  It took a while to consider and discover multiple versions were the cause of the problem.

So I guess this can be added to the request list for next release?
Return the version of the sesame.exe file vs. the application engine? 

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 1:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
The version number always appears in the title bar.

The internal version is useful for support (and the supported user) - or at least it was during the beta testing. It may well become useful should we ever need to go through a translation layer to maintain backward compatibility. I hope that that will never be necessary.

Knowing the version in SBasic will only become useful if we implement conditional compilation - in which case it will need to be implemented as a pre-compilation constant, so it can be determined before the code is compiled to prevent compilation errors.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 2:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Bob,

You will want to stress to your clients that if they update one computer that uses Sesame they need to update every computer that runs Sesame. It is strongly recommended that you never mix versions in a client/server environment.

If you are failing to compile, then an Sbasic function that returns the version number(1.1.3, etc.) is not going to do any good since the code will not run because the compile failed.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 7:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
1.  When I set up a site, all versions are current and licensed on all workstations.
After I leave I have no control.  End user may modify, upgrade incorrectly, etc.

2.  When I inherit sites that were set up by someone else, I have no idea what I am running into. 

3.  By running a report that includes system information including Sesame versions, I can know immediately that I am going to have problems.

Although the version shows up in the Title Bar of the application, I was expecting to use the @Platform command to include the version in the report.  Actually, opening the program and looking at the Title Bar seems to be the only way to ID the version.  If I go to sesame.exe or sdesigner.ext and right click to look at properties and then at version, the Version information is not available as it is in most other executable files.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged