Normal Topic Q&A System Error 06A1 (Read 2617 times)
david.lyon@cgi.com

Q&A System Error 06A1
Jun 19th, 2006 at 2:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Trying to open a .DTF file using Q&A 4.0 and get a system error 06A1.

Can anyone tell me what this means.

IP Logged

Bill Halpern
Lanticans

Re: Q&A System Error 06A1
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 4:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
David,

This indicates a serious error in your Q&A database.  The design and/or some of your records are seriously compromised.  This needs to be repaired before you can use the database.  It can have to do with your indexes, damage to your form design, your actual data, your network connectivity, or even damage caused by a virus.

Call PCTA at 215/598-8440.  They do this kind of repair all of the time.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 7:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
06A1 is "Error reading or writing a cluster"

Do as Bill suggests, send to them for repair. 
Also suggest making a backup and then do ScanDisk and Defrag on your HardDrive.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2006 at 1:22am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 7:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Q&A 4.0 has a recovery mode, which I have had good luck using.  It is faster and cheaper then calling in outside help, if it works.  I never had funds to get help, so was lucky that Recovery worked most of the time.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 1:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Recovery does have the ability to repair many errors, but this error code is usually one that will not be corrected with Recovery.  I also do recovery of Q&A databases and would have had the file sent to me if Bill had not already asked for it.

But there is nothing wrong with trying Recovery.  But it is also imperative that a backup be made first.  Because of the "cluster" type of error, I would suggest making two backups on different media.  If Recovery does not work, it can create further damage increasing the possibility that no recovery methods will work.  Then you will at least have a copy of the original to be sent out.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

david.lyon@cgi.com

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 1:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Sending file out for repair is not an option.

Further investigation indicates that records using a modified record layout were somehow forced into the database, (have no idea how), anyways it resulted in records with field values in the wrong field (ie. page count value in the archive field, organization name id the coded data field etc.). This in turn appears to have corrupted the database structure and indices. End result was a database that could be read and searched but not updated.

Identifying and deleting records with bad formatting returned the database to a state where recovery would run without causing an error.

I then ran an ascii export of before and after, compared the export files using excel and created a spreadsheet containing the deleted record data.

This record data can be analysed, reformatted and imported as required.

Thanks again for the assist.

Dave
a Q&A and Sesame NEWBIE

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 1:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
David,

Is this Q&A DOS 5.0? If so, you may be seeing the symptoms of a known issue of generation corruption.

In Q&A 5.0, whenever you add, delete, or change the order of fields it creates a "generation" in the database structure. Until records and specs are "touched" with the new generation, they still have the old structure.  If certain operations, like Copy Design Only, are performed while the database is in this state, severe corruption often results.

Be aware that you may not have fixed this database using the method you describe. Your speadsheet may include deleted records, multiple versions of the same records and other such issues. It is very likely that the corruption that caused the bad records is still present and will surface during other operations.

If sending the database out for repair is not an option for some reason, you may still want to contact PCTA and discuss this with them. Symantec handed over official Technical Support for Q&A to PCTA when they stopped supporting it. Their advice   would be valuable at his juncture. They can give you the details of this problem and also point you at tools you can use (like DTFDoctor from John Dow) to check the database for lingering corruption.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 6:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've been uncertain where to bring this up, but since Erika mentions the 5.0 "generation" problem this seems like as good a place & time as any.

While talking with John Dow, who created the excellent DTFDOCTR and DTFSPECS utilities which I am using to clean up my Q&A programs pre-translation to Sesame, I mentioned that my two largest databases had dozens (hundreds?) of saved specs and reports, all of which had to be "touched" to get to a single generation.  I told him I expected to spend several days working on this.

John provided me with a marvelous Q&A macro that did this work for me in minutes.  Once it ran I was at a single generation (generation 4, in the case of my Workorder database), which allowed me to then copy the design without corruption.  After copying my records into this fresh copy, I was at Generation 1.  Took less than an hour.

I mentioned to John that other folks here might be interested in using this.  He asked me to post about it and gauge the reaction, and based on that he might package it with DTFDOCTR.

If anyone is interested, his web site is http://johntdow.com/ and his email is info@johntdow.com.

I apologize if this sounds like a Spam posting.  I'm not sure if posts about services and goods are allowed on this forum, and I won't bring it up again if I've violated any guidelines.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged