Normal Topic screen resolution issue (Read 1478 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

screen resolution issue
Jun 28th, 2006 at 2:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there a method for changing screen resolution when a Sesame Application runs? or do I need an @enviroment command that tells me the users settings and have different forms start based on the settings returned.

I have users that have the resolution of 800 x 600 and some with 1024 x 768. My application will be too big on 1 or to small on 1. I realize I can force all the users to a set screen resolution on the machine all the time, however it seems so wrong to dictate to a user what screen resolution they MUST have. It seems to me that only forcing my desired resolution when Sesame runs is the more user friendly approach.

Any thoughts?

How do others handle this situation?

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: screen resolution issue
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 3:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
The usual method is to lay the form out so that it fits well on the lowest resolution you want to support.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 3:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Jun 28th, 2006 at 3:52pm:
The usual method is to lay the form out so that it fits well on the lowest resolution you want to support.

Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 11:00am
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Jun 28th, 2006 at 2:38pm:
Is there a method for changing screen resolution when a Sesame Application runs? or do I need an @enviroment command that tells me the users settings and have different forms start based on the settings returned.

This is a good idea. But it's not available in Sesame 1.0 unfortunately.

However, you should be able to achieve something close. The user's screen resolution is not likely to change much. How about doing this: Give the user a form which just has a picklist of the screen resolutions (800x600, 1024x768 right up to the crazy ones you get on some laptops these days!). From the choice set the mode and store this as a text file stored on the user's local drive: ScreenMode.txt = 1, 2 etc.

When the user opens the main menu form initially this text file is interrogated and the value stored in a static variable, eg stMode. Then have conditional code for the command buttons which opens the form:
IF stMode =1 then open form customers1, if mode =2 then open form Customers2 etc (This is quasi-code).

If the user changes their resolution then they'd have to go and pick a different resolution. Sesame would use different forms the next time they restarted Sesame. Should work as you wish with very little effort by the user (or database administrator).

Alec
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 3:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Alec,

Splendid idea! Thanks

I have been playing around with a default startup menu that has different colored boxes overlapping each other. Each colored box fits a different screen size. I was having the user select the color of the box that best fit their screen. From that selection I delivered the form that was configured for that size resolution. Your method would eliminate the selection process each and every time.(perfect for what I need)  Thanks for the idea.

As a side note I did learn my method would work well in an environment were there are many occasional users or temporary access were the users only logs on from home once in a while.

P.S

I hope all is well with you and your family, we do not get to see you around the forum as much as we would like, however we look forward to and enjoy each and every one of your articles in Inside Sesame each month.

Robert

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 2:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Jul 2nd, 2006 at 3:22pm:
I hope all is well with you and your family, we do not get to see you around the forum as much as we would like, however we look forward to and enjoy each and every one of your articles in Inside Sesame each month.

Well thank you Robert. Have a happy Independence Day. Here in England it's a ... normal day! We're not feeling too great, after yet another disappointing show by our football team in the World Cup.

Alec
IP Logged