Normal Topic Chasing a Ghost (Read 742 times)
NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Chasing a Ghost
Jul 9th, 2006 at 1:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
How do I get rid of a ghost program?

I made some changes in Designer and reconciled to my current database. When I went into the database, the changes weren't there, so I double-checked and redid the reconcilliation.

We're set up client/server. When I access the database (normal -client machinename etc) I don't see the changes but I entered a record as a test. I then accessed the same database via a mapped drive and I can see the Designer changes AND the record I just entered as a test. I then add a statement to the test record and recheck in the normal method (-client) and the additional information is not there.

This is corn country and I'm REALLY "cornfused". Shocked

Thanks for any help!
Fred

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Re: Chasing a Ghost
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 4:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Fortunately I had just designed the database in question the other day. As there were only 3 records in it, I decided to just start from scratch. I'd still be interested in thoughts and/or ideas on this though.

Regards,
Fred

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 1:41am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Fred...

I don't have an answer for you, but you are describing symptoms very similar to what I reported on Friday at this discussion: http://www.lantica.com/Forum3/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1152303314

I still don't know how to prevent or what is causing problem, but I now have symptoms to look for.
1.  Close all Clients
2.  Check Sesame Server to see if application is still being served.  If yes, problem has occured, continue with steps 3-5.
3.  Close Sesame Server using normal tools to shut down vs. emergency shutdown.
4.  Can now do reconciles that will "stick", and record additions/changes will also be retaiined.
5.  Start Sesame Server
6.  Reconnect Clients.  Should now have latest reconciled changes.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2006 at 7:31pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 1:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Fred,

Next time before you reconcile follow these steps.

1. Before any type of reconcile, make sure that your current application is backed up (using either My Computer, Windows Explorer, or the Backup Application menu tree selection in the Application Utilities portion of the Sesame runtime menu tree).
2. Make sure all users are closed out of the Sesame application and, if you started designer from the runtime Sesame, that you have closed the application in that copy of Sesame.
3. From one of the client workstations, using Sesame runtime, select File / Server Administration. Enter your login user id and password (default is ‘admin’ and ‘hello’) and you will see the Server Administration screen.
4. Click on ‘Stop This Server’ and wait for Sesame to close down.
5. Reconcile your design changes back to your application from the Designer module.  If you get a message saying the application is already in use, Stop. Go check and make sure that Sesame Server is actually shut down. Make use of the Task Manager on the server computer to be sure that there are no Sesame.exe processes.
6. Restart Sesame Server on you server computer.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged