Normal Topic See this? (Read 1562 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

See this?
Jul 11th, 2006 at 7:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Microsoft ends support on Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows XP Service Pack 1.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

May I suggest a nice Unix? Perhaps a finely aged Linux?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Re: See this?
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 12:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Our Server crashed 3-wks ago and when I rebuilt it we upgraded to server-2003 small business and because of the new licensing built into it, it would shut the server down every two hours without warning and in the event log it would say "you are violating EULA" contact Microsoft !! And when I tried to comply, the loops it wanted me to jump through were not there, we reverted back to server-2000 and we are now taking a hard look at linux.  Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 3:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
I suspect that you are not alone, especially now that Mickey has ceased running anti-linux attack ads. After a year of running ads condemning "open source" software, they have just announce several "open" projects inside Microsoft. Seems to be similar to their attitude towards the internet and TCP/IP in the 1980s and 1990. They put it down with all their might and when it didn't go away, they claimed it as their own.

The real irony is that Mircosoft is still seen as the "conservative" choice when Unix is more than ten years older, much more stable, and a whole lot more secure.

Myself, I am still not sure I would recommend Linux as a "User" operating system. As a server, or for software development, I believe that Linux is superior to Microsoft (by a very wide margin). But, even though Linux Desktops have made it a lot easier to use than it used to be, Linux does require a substantial learning curve. It is very very flexible, so once you get used to it, there is very little you cannot do. So in the long run it is easier to use than Microsoft. But those first few days can be a bear.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 4:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have experimented with several flavors of linux for the desktop, and the two I like the best or Xandros and Suse Personal 9.1, we will look into getting a linux server software , and maybe take a look at Novell again, but to turn a company's machine off is stepping over the line in my opinion. The only real problem I have with linux for the desktop is with the print drivers for older printers, I can find several drivers that work but all have problems printing lines, boxes, graphics on the older printer, the new hp printer does not have any problems printing in linux, Sesame has always ran better in linux than windows, I would recommend Xandros for the desktop, it sets up flawlessly on several laptops, and my home desktop, and my work computer, the networking and dsl set up without a hitch. It comes with crossover office if you get the business edition and you can run a lot of windows programs thru it, Sesame will run thru it also, but open office and the linux version of Sesame works great. This experience has renewed my effort to become windows free !!  Wink

IP Logged