Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Can't open DSR (Read 6532 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Can't open DSR
Aug 10th, 2006 at 7:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've been busy today, making all sorts of changes to my DSR, but I haven't reconciled in a while.  Which has me scared because the following just happened:

I clicked "Save" and got an error message that "One or more files is marked Read Only".  Well, that's unusual, how did that happen?  So I closed the DSR and looked at the properties in Explorer and it was the DDT that had somehow become read-only.  So I unchecked that.

Then I tried to open the DSR and got a "failure while loading application" error.

Is it chumped for good?  I made a backup before I started working on it today but I'd hate to lose a day's work, because several times today I did the HAPPY DANCE when things fell into place.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Can't open DSR
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 7:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Which error did you get? Was it one line or two line?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 7:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Two lines:
Quote:
Database C:\Sesame\Miara\Miara.dsr failed to open.
Error: failure while loading application: C:\Sesame\Miara\Miara.dsr

I just looked at it in Explorer and the file size is 1 KB.  Now I'm really worried.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 8:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Your going to have to revert to your backup.

You said you got the message when you went to save. Could you give me the exact wording of the message?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Your going to have to revert to your backup.

Damn.  I had a feeling.
Quote:
You said you got the message when you went to save. Could you give me the exact wording of the message?

Nope, not now, it's gone.  I was testing @Insert to fill some combo boxes, and it worked well.  Did a preview, liked what I saw, closed the preview, clicked Save, and the error message said something like "One or more of the files is marked as read-only."  (I've seen this happen before, but have no idea how it happens.  Any enlightenment would be useful.)

So I closed, looked in explorer, unchecked the DDT's read-only box, and tried to open my DSR.  Got the message quoted above.  The DSR is now 1 KB in size and about 6 hours of my day are shot to Aitch E Double Hockey Sticks.

Tonight I think I'll drink until stupid, and tomorrow I plan to reconcile every 10 nimutes.  That's right, I said NIMUTES!  Maybe I'm already drunk?!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 8:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
No need to reconcile every ten minutes. Just if you ever get that message again, Do not close Sdesigner. Open Preview Mode, Click File->Save as and Save it under a new name. this will create a backup of the DSR file with all the changes that you have made.

Thoughts on the file locking are an external program trying to use it such as a Virus Scan or other such software.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 9:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
This may have nothing to do with your problem however I thought I would mention this just incase.  

I have found that VB6 (Microsoft Visual Basic) will often mistake my .DSR file for one of its own and attempt to seize and modify it to a .Net style RPT file.

I will usually get a system registry type warning prior to any modifications but I have noticed on occasion the last modified date and permissions were changed anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted if you figure out the cause of your problem.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 1:20am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Tonight I think I'll drink until stupid, and tomorrow I plan to reconcile every 10 nimutes.  That's right, I said NIMUTES!  Maybe I'm already drunk?!

Reconciling every ten minutes is not a very good idea no matter how drunk you are.

If you are having problems, you should be making backups and copies - the opposite of a reconcile. Unless you are working on an application that is client/server and has other users using it while you are designing, you do not ever have to reconcile, you can simply "Save As New" instead and rename files as needed. Save away the old version first. Put it in a directory out of the way. Consider numbering the file names. That way you can always go back to a known good.

If you reconcile from a DSR that is giving you trouble, you are essentially sharing that trouble with the DB file your are reconciling to.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 1:37am
Print Post Print Post  
I work like Mark suggests, every 10 minutes (if I remember), I save as filename1.dsr, filename2.dsr, filename3.dsr and so on.  Soemtimes I use filename2a.dst, filename 2b.dsr for what I consider less minon changes. Then when I reconcile I still keep the old versions, and continue to save as filename 23.dsr, etc.  I can delete the ones that have a,b,c, etc as part of the file name and only keep those with the just the number.

Even when I make a new DSR from the DB, I use the next number.  That allows me to keep every version that I have created.  When I do a reconcile, i ususally add an "R" to the name so I know the last reconciled DSR, lile filename12R,dsr.

I also use the Application Program section to store the DSR file name when I reconcile, so there will be an entry in filename12R.dsr Application Program that has "\\Reconciled from 12R on 8/10/2006".  Kind of an informal Revision Control system.  Also a good place to put a Global Variable that can contain a real Version ID that can be placed in an element on a Main Menu form.  Could toggle visibility to only show when you need it.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 12:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray wrote:
Quote:
Thoughts on the file locking are an external program trying to use it such as a Virus Scan or other such software.

Hmmm.  I'll have to keep an eye on that.  One other program I had running TSR is a defragmenter.  I've disabled it.

Mark wrote:
Quote:
If you are having problems,

This was the first problem, but it was a doozy.

Quote:
you should be making backups and copies - the opposite of a reconcile. Unless you are working on an application that is client/server and has other users using it while you are designing, you do not ever have to reconcile, you can simply "Save As New" instead and rename files as needed. Save away the old version first. Put it in a directory out of the way. Consider numbering the file names. That way you can always go back to a known good.

This sounds like a good plan, but you have to save the DSR first before you can save as a new application - and that's where my crash occurred.  At least I don't think there's any way to "Save As" a DSR.  There's no such option under the File menu or in the designer commands.  If I'm wrong, please someone teach me how to do it.

Bob wrote:
Quote:
I work like Mark suggests, every 10 minutes (if I remember)

(Snip amazingly comprehensive saving/backup procedure.)  Yikes, you're a kook.  I'd be lost in all those files.
Quote:
I also use the Application Program section to store the DSR file name when I reconcile, so there will be an entry in filename12R.dsr Application Program that has "\\Reconciled from 12R on 8/10/2006".  Kind of an informal Revision Control system.  Also a good place to put a Global Variable that can contain a real Version ID that can be placed in an element on a Main Menu form.  Could toggle visibility to only show when you need it.

I think you mentioned this last Saturday at the SANE meeting, but it sounded very complex and advanced and I spaced out on the details.  Can you email me specifics of this technique?  Thanks.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 12:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
At least I don't think there's any way to "Save As" a DSR.  There's no such option under the File menu or in the designer commands.  If I'm wrong, please someone teach me how to do it.

Don't save it as a DSR, save it as a DB, using "Save As New Application" under the Application branch of the SDesigner command tree.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 1:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
This sounds like a good plan, but you have to save the DSR first before you can save as a new application - and that's where my crash occurred.  At least I don't think there's any way to "Save As" a DSR.  There's no such option under the File menu or in the designer commands.  If I'm wrong, please someone teach me how to do it.

You create a backup of a DSR file by entering Preview Mode. On the File menu you will see a Save As option. That is how you backup a DSR file.

What Mark is saying is if you are a single user system, you really don't need to reconcile. What you do is
Open Sdesigner
Select Your DB file
Save it as a DSR file
Make Your Changes
Backup your original DB file
Save the DSR file as a new Application Selecting your DB file and selecting Yes to Overwrite

When you create the DSR file it is created with all the user records that the DB file has. As long as you are the only one adding records or changing them, your DSR file will have the exact same data as your DB file. This means that instead of reconciling, which can take a while, you can simply Save as a New Application and save over your DB file as the Data in them is the same. Even if you get the Message that says one of the Designer files is set to be read-only, you can still save it as a new DB and your changes will be there. But as with Reconcile it is recommended that you make a backup of your DB and DAT files, before saving over them with the DSR file.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 2:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
You create a backup of a DSR file by entering Preview Mode. On the File menu you will see a Save As option. That is how you backup a DSR file.

And there it is!  Thanks Ray, I did not know that.  I've never saved from a Preview.

And thanks for the technique tutorial.  Smiley

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 11:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
For Version Control:
1.  Create a Global Static Variable
Save all changes. Close all Design tabs.
From Design Menu tab:
Click on Application/Application Property Manager.
Click on button for "Program Application"
In the program Editor add a line something like this"
Code
Select All
GlobalValue("gsVersion","Reconciled to FileName4.DSR - 08/11/06") 

Test Program to make sure no typing errors.
Close Editor.
Click on button to Save Changes.

2.  Use the Global Variable to show the latest version:
Enter the following program line any where in your programming tat you want to show the version:
Code
Select All
var vVersion as String
vVersion = @GlobalValue("gsVersion") 

You can use this on Forms, Reports, Merge documents, Mass Updates, DataDictionary, etc.
You can put it in an element that is only visible under certain conditions or for specific persons.
You can use this to make sure users have the latest version by comparing this against dates/other values/ etc.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2006 at 4:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.  I'm a little bit confused. (GlobalValue is new to me)  Are you hard coding the revision number and date (in step 1)?  If so, you would manually change it each time you did a revision, is that correct?

Is there a way to have it done automatically, say with the filename plus system date and time?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print