Normal Topic Compiling - at server or client? (Read 554 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Compiling - at server or client?
Aug 18th, 2006 at 4:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Currently I'm using Sesame on my own workstation, as I build our applications.  Eventually it will all move to the file server and will serve about a dozen client workstations.

I know that when I open a form, the programming is compiled.  Currently this takes about 12 to 15 seconds for my Workorder form, the most programming intensive of all the forms in my application.  This time will no doubt grow as I continue to program it, although I'm almost done so it shouldn't be too much more.

Some questions:

* I will eventually be importing my records from Q&A into these databases.  Of course, not every field will make the jump, as a sh*tload of stuff has been eliminated (ghost fields, fields that held programming, etc).  How will the influx of stored data effect the compiling time?  Does it matter, or is Sesame looking at programming only when it compiles?

* When the application moves to the server, will compiling be done there or at the client?  Which is better, a faster server or a faster client?  (Most of my current workstations are newer, faster machines than my server.)

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Compiling - at server or client?
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 4:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Aug 18th, 2006 at 4:09pm:
* I will eventually be importing my records from Q&A into these databases.  Of course, not every field will make the jump, as a sh*tload of stuff has been eliminated (ghost fields, fields that held programming, etc).  How will the influx of stored data effect the compiling time?  Does it matter, or is Sesame looking at programming only when it compiles?

The number of records makes no difference to compile time. You can usually reduce compile time through the use of functions and subroutines. At any rate, keep in mind that each Form only compiles once per mode per session.  Once someone opens the Form in add mode, as long as they don't close the application, the next time they open that Form in add mode, it will not need to recompile.

Quote:
* When the application moves to the server, will compiling be done there or at the client?  Which is better, a faster server or a faster client?  (Most of my current workstations are newer, faster machines than my server.)

SBasic runs and compiles on the Client.

BTW, SBasic is one of the only things that happens on the Client. If you have lots of users or big databases, at least give your server a healthy dose of RAM.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Re: Compiling - at server or client?
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 4:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika, that info is very helpful.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged