Normal Topic Start as Service vs Program (Read 774 times)
NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Start as Service vs Program
Aug 22nd, 2006 at 4:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there a way to start Sesame Server up as a Service rather than a Program?

We have occaisional server crashes (or other freaky things) which knocks out our client/server setup. We are starting as a program. If we can start as a service, the server can restart automatically -- which is great for when I"m there alone on weekends!

Thanks for your help,
Fred

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Start as Service vs Program
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2006 at 8:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Fred,

Sesame Server can be run as a service through the use of external programs, such as FireDaemon which can be found at http://www.firedaemon.com/. I know of several users who are using FireDaemon to run the Sesame Server.

If you run Sesame Server as a Service be sure to specify the "-Daemon" startup flag as well as the "-Server ComputerName" flag.

Note that if you run Sesame Server as a service you lose the GUI(the window), that you would see on the Server computer. That means you have no way to tell what applications are open,  how many people are connected to the Sesame Server, or how many connections you are allowed total to the Sesame Server. Those three things are very useful and the Server GUI is the only place you will find them displayed.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2006 at 11:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you Ray - I will forward this to our SysAdmin. He's the one that asked about this. I had NO clue as to what the heck he was talking about. I am forwarding this to him.
(For awhile there, I thought I had asked one of my really 'dumb" questions, again, which either had an obvious answer, or was so stupid, there is no answer.)

"..I'm still trying to figure it out..."
LOL
Fred

P.S. I have learned SO much more about this program in the past two weeks than I could have possibly thought. I used to "love" Q&A - now - Q&A sucks (sorry, didn't intend to offend anyone). You guys have done a marvelous job!

IP Logged

carsten

Carpe Diem

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 12:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Fred,

I have had the same problem. I have used a different way to solve it under WinXP:

I use the built in scheduler and tell it to start sesame on reboot. This works  fine, however I also loose the status window.

Carsten

Carsten&&The Houseman&&"Smiling improves your face value"&&"A Clean House is a Sign of a Wasted Life"&&"Rather Big and Hard then Micro and Soft"

IP Logged