Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Navigation after @UserSelect - @Calendar (Read 2061 times)
NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Navigation after @UserSelect - @Calendar
Sep 2nd, 2006 at 7:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quirky thing happening. I've discovered @Color and decided to "lead" my users through the form in the order I desire. Maybe this has been going on but the colors made me really see it.  Shocked

Everything works as expected EXCEPT when an element invokes @UserSelect or @Calendar. I get the desired results and the GoTo brings me to my next (color-changed) combobox element. When I click on the down-arrow to open the combox, I am sent back to the element I just came from. If I click on the next element a second time, I can continue.

I've double (quadruple)-checked to ensure I didn't have some other programming that was sending me back. ALL of my other comboxes work perfectly - just not the two with the user select and calendar.

Suggestions?
Thanks,
Fred

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Re: Navigation after @UserSelect - @Calendar
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 7:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
The reason it's so noticeable is that after leaving an element it is changed to a different color than it was as a GoTo element. It's obivous that the focus is back in the last element.

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 9:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Another befuddlement in all of this is that when I retrieve a set of records the first record appears "normal" - no colored elements since these are all If @Add. When I F10 to the second and following records TWO of the elements turn to a different color. The first element is the one involving the @UserSelect statement. It is showing up "green" - my GoTo color. The second element, the one that you should GoTo after selecting the date from @Calendar is "yellow" - the color my elements should change to when the data is entered (on element immediate change).

Well - going home for now. Back at it in the morning.

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 9:55am
Print Post Print Post  
Good morning all,
  Well, after giving it some thought in bed last night, I decided to use my previous day's database and start from scratch, ensuring I was ONLY working on the @Color and GoTo commands.

I've entered my specs in the On Element Immediate Change section, which works well until I get to my @Calendar field. If I put the programming statement in On Element Immediate Change all I get is the date I selected, no color change and no GoTo response. I moved my programming to the On Element Entry section and get the desired result of the date selected, color change of the element, color change of the next element, and I've "gone to" that next element. However, again when I select the down-arrow on the combobox I get booted back to the element with the Calendar. I've made no program changes in the element I had hope to be in. (I did a Preview Application after every individual programming change in each element to verify I was getting the desired results.)

Ideas or thoughts?
Thank you,
Fred

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 12:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Okay, it does NOT seem to be related to the @Calendar. I've //'d out all programming except (In On Element Entry)

Code
Select All
If @add then
{
  @Color(Tgt_Comp_Date,0,14)
  @Color(Skills,15,2)
  GoTo Skills

}

Upon leaving the element with the GoTo Tgt_Comp_Date statement my Tgt_Comp_Date turns yellow (actually green first from the statement in the preceding element, but then to yellow faster than the eye can see - I'm assuming) and the Skills element turns green, as expected. When I click the down-arrow on Skills I'm immediately returned to the Tgt_Comp_Date element and must click the Skills element a second time.

I then directed the statement to other elements instead of Skills, all with the same result.

Going to check properties of the Tgt_Comp_Date elements, but unsure how properties would affect navigation.

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 12:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
It doesn't seem to be an issue with @UserSelect. I repeated the scenario of //-ing out all programming except the color and goto commands. Same result. The program passes through the element changing it to yellow with the next element green. When I click on the green element I'm returned to the yellow one. In this second scenario I'm going Text-to-Text elements, in the first Date-to-Text. I don't think that really matters. These are the only two elements on the form behaving in this manner.

Gee - had to happen on Labor Day weekend when no one is around to bounce this off. Undecided

At least I'm no longer having the issue of those two elements changing colors when I F10  through a retrieved record set.  Grin

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 6:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Fred

Sounds like you are having fun .....
Have you checked the Navigation Order?

In the Editor, top left section, scroll down and you will find Change Navigation Order.

Note, recent discussions on the forum indicate that once you use this you may not be able to do without it.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob, thanks for an idea I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately this made no difference.

I also made a backup copy, added two new text fields, copied all the information from the original elements into the new elements, copied the programming, deleted the old elements, saved, renamed new elements with old elements names - same problem.

This is really pointing to a programmin glitch, but there's virtually nothing in either element.

Element: Priority (On Element Entry)
Code
Select All
If @IsNew then
Priority = @popupmenu("High - Safety Issue, Impacts Quality or High Eficiency Loss; Medium - Some Efficiency Loss or Chronic Occurence; Low - Nice To Do", "Choose Priority") 

Priority - (On Element Immediate Change)

Code
Select All
If @lt(Priority,3) = "Low" then Priority = "Low"
If @lt(Priority,3) = "Med" then Priority = "Medium"
If @lt(Priority,3) = "Hig" then Priority = "High"

If @add then
{
  @Color(Priority,0,14)
  @Color(Owner,15,2)
  GoTo Owner

} 

Element: Owner - (On Element Immediate Change)

Code
Select All
var vName as String
vName = Owner

If @UserID = "mgr" then
{
LE45 = vName
Assigned_by = @UserID
}

If @add then
{
  @Color(Owner,0,14)
  @Color(Type,15,2)
  GoTo Type
} 

That's it - no other programming for either element - verified for what seems a million times. As I stated earlier, the Priority element changes to yellow and displays the correct results, the Owner Element changes to green and Focus appears to be in the element. When I click the down-arrow - right back to Priority I go until I select the down-arrow in Owner a second time.

I've also tried ThrowFocus and even included a double GoTo - all to no avail.

Fred
P.S. Nice to see SOMEONE in here this weekend besides me  Smiley

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 8:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
I think Bob was asking if you had tried to use the navigation order settings instead of using Goto statements.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 8:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
No, hadn't read it that way and no, hadn't tried it - but you did make me think of something (both of you) - since I have to click the down-arrow key anyway to bring up the choices in the combo box - why use GoTo at all???? Why not just change the color to lead the user where to click next? DUHHHHHHHH ROFLMAO

Smiley Wink Grin Shocked Roll Eyes

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 8:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
You shouldn't ever user goto. If need be (and that need is very absolute), and you have really tried every other alternative, you should use ThrowFocus instead, and that very very sparingly. Certainly, use navigation order before you use ThrowFocus or Goto.

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 8:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
I knew it was too easy. That resulted in my having to double-click to get the selections in the combobox to appear. I'll try the navigation order - tomorrow at home on my DAY OFF  Wink

Thanks for the ideas!

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 8:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sweet!!! I couldn't wait till tomorrow, and it was very easy to do. Thanks to both of you!!!

Another day - another learning!

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 12:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Glad it worked.

I usually use Navigation Order, but I thought perhaps maybe the order was no longer correct.  I have found that after the order was set, I might move some elements and forget to make changes to the defined order.

So, even though this might be OK now, we still don't know what was wrong.  Was the defined order wrong when you looked at it and needed to be changed?  Just curious, always like to know the cause of the problem, not just the solution.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 12:43am
Print Post Print Post  
When arriving a some elements from another via goto or ForceFocus, it can, under some circumstances, take two navigation events (like pressing the tab key) to leave that element. It is already fixed in the next release. The circumstance in which we found it was in code invoked by a command button that calls goto or ThrowFocus.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print