Normal Topic Understanding Sesame Server better questions. (Read 747 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Understanding Sesame Server better questions.
Sep 8th, 2006 at 2:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am having problems stopping Sesame server. I may be misunderstanding the proper procedure so I thought I would try to get a better understanding of what is going on.

For starters the application is running fine and it is very stable, I say this so you know that I am not shutting the server down because I need to re-start after a problem. (so I do not think any  my files are locked up causing this situation).

The procedure I follow is that I check to make sure no users are logged on
I check the server window and see connections 0 of x
I logon as a client
I goto server administration
I select disconnect and stop all clients (actually I have tried every combination)
I press Stop this server

It closes my client but the server window is still open.

The server window shows the same before and after
Connections 0 of x
Open applications
           System Database
           Zip Code Database
           My application

Conection Station10

On page 453 of the users guide it explains Connection shows the connection portion of the command line used to launch the server (station10 is what the server runs on so I believe this is correct)

Am I correct that the server window should close when I follow the above procedure?
Am I missing something in my steps?

Sort of related questions, (one of my reasons for stopping Sesame server)

I have been making backups by using the save as feature from the application and also copying the db and the dat files from my data directory.

If I copy the db and dat files when 0 of x connections shows on the server is that ok or do I need to stop the server and then copy the db and dat files from the directory?

Thanks

PS. Erika I love your new icon. The butterfly was a beautiful creature but not nearly as beautiful as the new one!

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Understanding Sesame Server better questions.
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 3:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Sep 8th, 2006 at 2:49pm:
PS. Erika I love your new icon. The butterfly was a beautiful creature but not nearly as beautiful as the new one!

*blush* Thank you.
Smiley

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 3:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

How long are you waiting to see if Sesame Server closes?
What operating systems are you on?
Also, what version of Sesame are you running?

-Ben

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 4:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ben,

Times have varied from 2 minutes to indefinitely; There are times I have run my above procedure and when nothing happened I left it be.

The operating system that sesame server is on is windows 98se

Sesame server version 1.1.4

Thanks for the help,   I am glad to see you around the forum more often lately, I bet Ray likes having your help with replies. I hope you are all healed up and feeling well.

Robert

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 6:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

Thank You, I am doing well.

To answer your earlier question:

Quote:
I have been making backups by using the save as feature from the application and also copying the db and the dat files from my data directory.

If I copy the db and dat files when 0 of x connections shows on the server is that ok or do I need to stop the server and then copy the db and dat files from the directory?

It is a good idea to use "File -> Save As" while in Sesame to make a backup copy of your database, and then copy your backup to whatever directory you are storing them in. Doing this is much safer for your data, as a client may connect to your server at anytime while you are copying the original file which could cause problems later on down the road.

As for your Sesame server question, we have been trying to reproduce it here on a variety of operating systems but have been unable to. When you have a chance, please call Ray as he has questions about your network setup.

-Ben

IP Logged