Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Can't open backup with Designer (Read 2522 times)
NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Can't open backup with Designer
Sep 9th, 2006 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Okay the Subject line may be a LITTLE misleading, but it's not far off.

I tried to open my application in Designer to create a new .dsr file to work in. I got a message saying I couldn't open it. I was able to open it from the icon (client/server path, etc.). So I backed up the app and named it something else. I am able to open this in Designer. So I deleted the original app and renamed my backup the original app's name - Workorders. When I try to open it with Designer - same message - the dreaded TWO LINE one.

Well, before I renamed the app as Workorders I created a new .dsr file. So I save as a new app from that, Workorders_0909. I can open that up with designer, no problem. So rename my Workorders as Workorders_bad, and my Workorders_0909 as Workorders. Tried to open with Designer - same message.

I've checked for "ghosts" (I'm mapped to the server), couldn't see anything. Double checked how may users were being served - just one, me. I did this because yesterday I was somehow logged on twice after a fatal error blew me off the computer and I had to reboot. Odd that Sesame Server didn't know that I was gone. We rebooted the Server, no problem.

So -- any ideas as to why when I rename ANY of my backups to my original name I can't open it with Designer? Again, I CAN access the app via my icon. I know it's the correct file because I can view the changes and look at the time/date stamp as to when the file was last accessed.

Always on the weekend!
FRed

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Re: Can't open backup with Designer
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Never mind for now. I opened my .dsr file and "saved as" a new application and selected Workorders (overwriting it). I was allowed to do this, and Workorders now opens with Designer. Weird... Shocked

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 9:44am
Print Post Print Post  
What's the number for Ghostbusters??

I'm back to the same issue. New info - I entered a new record in my backup file and did a "save as": Workorders. I open Workorders and -- no new record. I deleted the workorders app and tried this again. Same results.

I guess I'll name my backup something new and change everyone's shortcut to point to the new file, but I'd think there'd be an easier way to get back to "normal".

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 11:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Just for grins and giggles (I like giggles!) I deleted my Workorders and Workorders.dat files. I then tried to launch the app from my shortcut and received the warning message that some of the files were missing and that the program may open but may not function (paraphrased). Well, to my surprise the Workorders app DID open and DID function - Search showed all records, except of course the one I entered as my "test".

Bump-Bump-Bump-Bump
Bump-Bump-Bump-Bump (Twighlight Zone theme)
Undecided

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 12:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
So has anyone successfully gotten rid of a ghost application? After I fired off the program as described above both the Workorders and Workers.dat file reappeared in my list of files in the folder. I tried deleting them, refired the program, same result. I tried renaming them, refired the program, same result. I deleted just the .dat file, refired the program and got a DIFFERENT result - the .dat file was now 509kb vs 1kb. I thought "maybe", but, no - no new "test" record. Then I deleted just the Workorders file. Same result, only reverted back to 1kb. I checked file attributes, nothing set to Read-Only or any other thing checked besides Archive.

I can see I'll have to redirect my shortcuts to my newly named backup, which is fine and all. I'd just like to try to figure this thing out -- and there are a lot smarter people "out there".

Thanks for any insights,
Fred

IP Logged

walt

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 6:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Fred,

Try putting some butter on your hard drive. Worked for me.  

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 6:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
With or without the popcorn?? LOL

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 6:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Fred,

I'm not sure what you have going. And given the number of steps you have taken since the original problem, I'm not sure I'll be able to sort it out without separating the wheat from the red herrings. Can you state in a question or two what you are looking for? Or clearly state the problem you are seeing?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 8:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
I guess the main question is: How do I rid my server of a "ghost" program?

I can view my old Workorders and Workorders.dat files in the folder on the server. If I delete the files and then try to launch the app from my original shortcut, it actually launches, and the Workorders and Workorder.dat reappear in the folder, with the .dat file showing only 1kb. If I rename the files I can also still launch the app. I know it's not a matter of two different files in two different places because if I add a record when launched from the shortcut and then go to the file in the folder and click on it, the new record is there.

I've renamed my backup and am now working in it as my main app, so this is not a great deal, it's just that there's a ghost in my machine -- and it's "scaring" me.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does the server window list that application? If so and there are no clients connected that means that that application was loaded into the server using a X command. If so, simply shutdown the server and restart it.

If you have an app that was loaded by a client and the connection between that client and the server was interrupted in an unusual manner, it may believe that that client is still using that app. Again, shutdown and retstart the server.

If the application name is not listed in the server window, then you probably don't have that app loaded in the server and something else is going on.

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 8:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark - I won't get to this until Friday (I only work weekends). I will, however, have our SysAdmin restart the Server. Thanks again!

Fred

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 8:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
NICEBERG wrote on Sep 10th, 2006 at 8:46pm:
Thanks Mark - I won't get to this until Friday (I only work weekends). I will, however, have our SysAdmin restart the Server. Thanks again!

Fred

You do understand that when I say server, I am talking about software - not hardware?

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 12:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes - I understood that  - from the numerous times I've had to have him restart it. I guess I should have said "the Server program" instead of "the Server" or just "Server". I knew what I meant, I just didn't "splain" it very well. Tongue

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 1:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
A followup question:

Can we run this app from a mapped drive? The mapped drive would be the server install folder shared. Currently we're running it from the client and don't want to have to continue to update every machine when each new version comes out.

Is anyone else running this from a mapped drive? We originally did but then switched to the -client way. We did experience some isssues doing it that way but are wondering if maybe it was related to the version we were on at the time.

Thanks,
Fred

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 1:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
NICEBERG wrote on Sep 11th, 2006 at 1:18pm:
A followup question:

Can we run this app from a mapped drive? The mapped drive would be the server install folder shared. Currently we're running it from the client and don't want to have to continue to update every machine when each new version comes out.

You can run the sesame executable from a mapped hard drive. You will still need to specify the -client flag when it is invoked. Your users may not like having to wait while the Sesame executable is pulled through the net to their machine, every time they start Sesame.

You may consider mapping the client machines's hard drives onto a single machine and using a simple script on that single machine to update the executables on all of the clients.

Quote:
Is anyone else running this from a mapped drive? We originally did but then switched to the -client way. We did experience some isssues doing it that way but are wondering if maybe it was related to the version we were on at the time.

Here it sounds like you are talking about mapping the Sesame application (the .db and .dat files). If you do this the server alone will execute the application through file sharing, and be slower because it will need to hit the net to get to its files. The client computers have no access to these files except by going through the Sesame server software, and will be unaffected.

If you try to have multiple clients (running standalone, no "-client" flag) attempt to access the same application files (.db and .dat) on a shared harddrive that they all share, the files will locked for all but the first client. If you unlock the files to allow other clients (standalone) to get to these files, you will absolutely damage the files permanently - destroying your data.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print