Normal Topic Server Shutdown (Read 1064 times)
david.lyon@cgi.com

Server Shutdown
Sep 15th, 2006 at 1:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Configuration:

Running Sesame in server mode on a remote server machine.

Connecting to that machine via Remote Desktop.

Attempting to shutdown the Seame Server using the Server Administration Interface results in the Sesame Client hanging and the Sesame Server does not shutdown.

What is the correct configuration and procedure.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Server Shutdown
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 1:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Have you tried shutting down the Sesame Server from a computer that is not the Server computer?
What options are you choosing for shutdown? The one option will cause the client and server to wait 60 seconds and then shutdown.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
David,

What operating system are you using?

I can not say what is right, wrong, or indifferent because I am anything but a network guru, however I have played with Sesame a lot and my un-educated experience has been that if Sesame Server is running on a win 98 or win 98se operating system and I attempt to shut down server from the server machine either local (at keyboard) or remotely, I have the same results you describe. If I connect by remote desktop or from a local keyboard (usually an XP machine) not on the machine Sesame Server is running on it works perfectly as described in the manuals.

I have had less problems with remote desktop or local keyboard when Sesame Server was running win XP sp2 but I occasionally still have problems stopping server as described above. I am currently experimenting with Sesame Server on Linux and am amazed how much faster Clients connect and seem to run.

Keep us posted on your findings,

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have not experienced any problems with Remote Desktop and Sesame Server.

I have made remote connections to clients using pcAnyWhere (PCA) and LogMeIn.  From the connected Sesame Client desktops,  I have then used Remote Desktop to connect to the machine running Sesame Server.  I have been able to stop and restart Sesame Server on that machine with no trouble.  I have then been able to disconnect from Remote Desktop and return back to the client desktop, then disconnect from PCA/LogMeIn, with no troubles.

I always close Sesame on the client workstations first, before shutting down Sesame Server. but that can be done before and/or after the Remote Desktop connection is made.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

carsten

Carpe Diem

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 2:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Have you tried to shut down the server from the client by using the server administration from the client? I use it regularly and it works fine and closes the clients as well. (Both XP machines)
I only use remote desktop then to restart it.

Carsten&&The Houseman&&"Smiling improves your face value"&&"A Clean House is a Sign of a Wasted Life"&&"Rather Big and Hard then Micro and Soft"

IP Logged