Normal Topic Three questions (Read 1156 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Three questions
Sep 22nd, 2006 at 3:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
1.  It will be a while before I'll be using PrintString, but as a general guide for designing my forms, how many lines can be printed on a standard 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper?  I'll be using Epson LQ-590 dot matrix printers.

2.  If I import a data record from Q&A into Sesame (via standard ASCII) and the record already exists in the Sesame database, will it be overwritten or duplicated?

3.  Is it possible to do a lookup from one database into another, retreive the value in an external field, and have it appear in a message box which the user has to acknowledge and dismiss, without having the retreived value "saved" anywhere in the current database?  If so, a nudge in the right direction would be helpful, and I'll try to experiment.

Thanks for your help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Re: Three questions
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 3:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity,

To answer two of your questions for you:

Quote:
2.  If I import a data record from Q&A into Sesame (via standard ASCII) and the record already exists in the Sesame database, will it be overwritten or duplicated?

If you import a record that already exists, it will be duplicated.

Quote:
3.  Is it possible to do a lookup from one database into another, retreive the value in an external field, and have it appear in a message box which the user has to acknowledge and dismiss, without having the retreived value "saved" anywhere in the current database?  If so, a nudge in the right direction would be helpful, and I'll try to experiment.

Yes. You can do an @Xlookup and store the data in a variable, which you could then display in the message box.

-Ben

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 4:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 22nd, 2006 at 3:52pm:
1.  It will be a while before I'll be using PrintString, but as a general guide for designing my forms, how many lines can be printed on a standard 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper?  I'll be using Epson LQ-590 dot matrix printers.

Could you explain some more on what you mean by how many lines can be printed on a sheet of paper?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 4:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
You can do an @Xlookup and store the data in a variable, which you could then display in the message box.

Great, let me play with this for a while.  I need to set a variable, perform the lookup, assign the retreived value to the variable, test to see if the variable is not empty and if so open up a message box and fill it with the variable.  And since the retreived value can be null or empty I want to use an X function.  Am I on the right track?  If so, the only thing I'm not sure about is the syntax for filling a message box with a variable.  Would it be @MessageBox("vVariableName","","")?

Thanks for your help Ben!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 4:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Could you explain some more on what you mean by how many lines can be printed on a sheet of paper?

Here's my situation:  Our invoices are printed on pre-printed forms with areas (boxes) for the data to go in.    The top 5" of the form holds the Customer info and the description of the job.  The bottom 5.5" is an open expanse for line item descriptions of the charges.  With Q&A I had to limit myself to, I think, 66 lines on the page, total.  As a result a lot of different charges got jammed in areas of the page where I would prefer them not to be (for example, sometimes we had to print a transportation charge on a line which would normally hold an equipment charge).

Sesame's forms free me up from the on-screen page confines that Q&A has; I can now create a field that will hold equipment charges only, because I can make a different field for the transportation charges.  But I'm not sure if the extra lines will all fit on the page, in the pre-defined box (7" wide by 5.5" tall).

Hope that helps.  Thanks for your assistance.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 6:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Infinity,

It depends on what font size you use as to how much data you can fit in the pre-defined box. If you find yourself running out of room use a smaller font size.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 7:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity,

I use the code below to print a 8.5 x 11 page prior to laying out forms with PrintString. It will give you a quick roadmap as to were to place your data. You can stick the code on any temporary command button and run it. The code is set for aerial 12 but you can easily change it to what ever you like. It is best to print on graph paper so you can easily figure coordinates.

This may be a low tech way to figure your forms out, but it saves me lots of time, frustration and paper.

Good luck and keep us posted

Newpage(850,1100) // sets page size

PrintString("100 over 25 down", 100 , 25, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("200 over 25 down", 200 , 25, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("300 over 25 down", 300 , 25, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("400 over 25 down", 400 , 25, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("500 over 25 down", 500 , 25, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("600 over 25 down", 600 , 25, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("700 over 25 down", 700 , 25, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)

PrintString("100 over 50 down", 100 , 50, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("200 over 100 down", 200 , 100, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("300 over 200 down", 300 , 200, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("400 over 300 down", 400 , 300, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("500 over 400 down", 500 , 400, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("600 over 500 down", 600 , 500, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("700 over 600 down", 700 , 600, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("400 over 700 down", 400 , 700, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("500 over 800 down", 500 , 800, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("600 over 900 down", 600 , 900, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)
     PrintString("700 over 1000 down", 700 , 1000, 0, "Arial", 12, 0)

// Sends page to printer

FinishPage()

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Great, let me play with this for a while.  I need to set a variable, perform the lookup, assign the retreived value to the variable, test to see if the variable is not empty and if so open up a message box and fill it with the variable.  And since the retreived value can be null or empty I want to use an X function.  Am I on the right track?  If so, the only thing I'm not sure about is the syntax for filling a message box with a variable.  Would it be @MessageBox("vVariableName","","")?

If you only want to display the message box if the Xlookup returned data:
Code
Select All
var vXdata as string

vXdata=@Xlookup(...)

If (Not @Error) then
{
	@MsgBox(vXdata,"","")
}

Quote:
...I'm not sure about is the syntax for filling a message box with a variable.  Would it be @MessageBox("vVariableName","","")

@MsgBox(vVariableName,"","") would be correct, if you use quotations Sesame will treat it as text for a message.

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 7:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey Bob, thanks, that looks like just what I need.  And Ray, thanks for the info on font size, I'll play with it.

And, of course, Ben thanks for your help with the lookup and message box.  After a few false starts I got this to work perfectly:
Code
Select All
var vBillingNotes as string

vBillingNotes = @XLookup(@FN, Bill_To_Code, "CUSTOMER!CODE", "Billing_Notes")
If Not @Error Then
	{
	@MSGBOX(vBillingNotes, "", "")
	} 

Captain Infinity
IP Logged