Normal Topic Server not releasing Clients (Read 527 times)
carsten

Carpe Diem

Server not releasing Clients
Oct 5th, 2006 at 2:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi there,

I am running a Sesame server on XP with clients acessing it WAN and LAN. It seems that the server does not release the client connection if e.g. the network crashed. The license then remains allocated and if it happens a few time then all my licenses are gone and no further connection is allowed. Furthermore I can also not disconnect the "phantom-client" mannually from within the adminstrator console. I can see it, select it and tell it to be disconnected, but it wont work.

What can I do??

Carsten

Carsten&&The Houseman&&"Smiling improves your face value"&&"A Clean House is a Sign of a Wasted Life"&&"Rather Big and Hard then Micro and Soft"

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Server not releasing Clients
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 3:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Carsten,

If all your client seats are used up, one thing you may be able to do is to unplug the network cable from the back of the server computer. Then plug it back in like 15 seconds later. This will give the operating system time to close the connections that are causing the Phantom Clients. You should see the number of connections drop down to zero.

Or if the back of the computer is hard to get to, you can try disabling the network connection in the windows control panel on the server computer.

A future version of Sesame will have a built in heartbeat for Client/Server communications and will help to eliminate Phantom Clients.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

carsten

Carpe Diem

Re: Server not releasing Clients
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 3:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hmm, the problem here is that I am about 500 miles away from the server and I do not always have someone on site who I would trust to login to the machine as an administrator.
Is there no means of doing it from within Sesame? Is the only way to kill and restart the server?

Carsten

Carsten&&The Houseman&&"Smiling improves your face value"&&"A Clean House is a Sign of a Wasted Life"&&"Rather Big and Hard then Micro and Soft"

IP Logged