Normal Topic Importing with subform  question (Read 528 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Importing with subform  question
Oct 9th, 2006 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
I was helping another Sesame user to normalize her data that was exported from Q&A. In Q&A she had multiple records with the same record ID. I suggested creating a sesame application that had 2 databases. The first database had an element named record_ID and one Record_Bal.

The record_Id was to be used for the the parent record matching key and the Record_bal would be used later to calculate the subform record amount.

The second database that was to be used as a subform for above had elements that matched her export file named:

Recordid1
Recordid1again
Billedamt
payedAmt
chknum
adjustAmt
BilledDate
PayedDate

All dates are date fields, All Amounts are money fields.

When she (or I) does an Import into sesame using steps on page 175 of the 1.1 user guide the records import correctly (no errors) as parent & children, the chknum data and recordid data import perfectly but the dates and amounts are blank.

When I view the .txt we use to import from the data is present. Am I missing something obvious?

I had her check the Q&A file prior to export and the money fields and date fields are money and dates.

Any Thoughts? All help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Importing with subform  question
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 5:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Robert,

Have you checked in the Sesame Application that the Date and Amount elements are bound to fields in the underlying database?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Importing with subform  question
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 6:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hello Robert,

Have you checked in the Sesame Application that the Date and Amount elements are bound to fields in the underlying database?

-Ray

Ray, Thanks for the input it was one of the first things I checked (I rember following another post recently who had that problem)

However,

Now I am really confused…. I had her e-mail me another export file and when I import with this (using the exact same steps I used 80 times previous) it imports perfect! Unfortunately like a dummy I overwrote the first .txt file she sent because she sent it with the same name and I was not thinking clearly, so I can not see what the difference between the two files was.

Another mystery to boggle my mind. I guess all that counts is that it works for her now.

It never fails, when I think something will be quick and easy (and tell another user its easy) it humbles me by kicking my tail.

Thanks for the help,

Robert

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged