Normal Topic Automated faxing (Read 1767 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Automated faxing
Oct 18th, 2006 at 3:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have a client who wants to do automated faxes, meaning without a wizard coming up for each fax. I've been looking into the available tools, and I'm not liking anything so far. Does anybody have a fax program/driver they like with decent automation support?

BTW, I am willing to look at online fax services, but Client is in South Africa.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Re: Automated faxing
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 6:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
I haven't checked out South Africa, but MyFax has worked well for us both domestically and internationally and uses an email address as the basis for sending a fax.  This may allow sending an email which would then automatically turn into a fax at the receiving end.  You can find info at www.myfax.com.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 8:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
You should also check out the various product options at http://www.electrasoft.com/ .Thus was a product that was selected for use for one of my clients some years ago. 

Look at these four programs, they differ depending on your specific needs.

32bit InternetFax - Options include: Send faxes by fax modem, send faxes by email, send fax over the Internet, and the ability to forward all incoming fax to an email address. Single computer/modem/Network  Optionally Send fax via the Internet using our built in fax API. If your fax recipient has an email address, this fax software program will fax email it to them by attaching the fax to an email and do an email fax to them.

FaxMail for Windows - Options include: Send faxes by fax modem, send faxes by email, send fax over the Internet, and the ability to forward all incoming fax to an email address. Single computer/modem/Network

32bit Fax - Options include: Send faxes by fax modem, send faxes by email, send fax over the Internet, and the ability to forward all incoming fax to an email address. Single computer/modem

32bit Email Broadcaster - emailing your newsletters and messages to thousands of groups and organizations in a few minutes from now with this full featured email newsletter system.

I think pricing is about $60, lifetime upgrades and support, a Top Pick from Cnet downloads which now carries Sesame.
=====================
Another product, now free, but no longer being developed is 42BEEE, an email scheduler/broadcaster that I think can be sent to phone numbers as faxes: http://www.iopus.com/freeware/beee/. ; I have not used this for over five years, but was effective and cost is right.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 5:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 18th, 2006 at 3:07pm:
I have a client who wants to do automated faxes, meaning without a wizard coming up for each fax. I've been looking into the available tools, and I'm not liking anything so far. Does anybody have a fax program/driver they like with decent automation support?

Hi Erika,

I know you are probably swamped with work getting ready for the Sesame Users conference and the big release of Sesame 2.0. (I can’t wait for June 22)  Whenever you get a chance (after the conference) can you please give me (and the rest of the readers) some insight as to how you solved this challenge? I am trying to eliminate selecting winfax from the printer choice and then going through all the stuff it needs when we need to fax certain documents.

For Email, I have a command button that when pressed checks to see if all data fields needed for my E-mail are complete (if any are incomplete it tells user what fields are not completed correctly) then warns user they are about to send an e-mail and asks if they truly want to send it, then formats the email with the correct subject, body and sender info and finally tells the user whether it was successful or not and displays in a MSG box what was sent.

This works well for E-mailing, I am trying to make faxing the same data (to people who can not receive e-mails) as easy as pressing a command button.

Thanks

Robert

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2007 at 5:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Robert,

We ended up using a Windows Script file to call the Windows Fax driver. The script accepts a filename of the document to be faxed and  the phone number to fax it to. The Windows Fax Driver uses the file associations for that file type to launch the program associated with the Print property and uses that program to print the document.

Sbasic creates a temporary TXT file and then shells out to the Script file passing it the name of the Temp file and the Fax number, then deletes the Temp file.

When you use a TXT file you can set what font size it prints in by changing your font size in notepad.

So in that particular application the same report can be Printed, Faxed, E-Mailed, and Previewed all from the click of a button. What's even cooler is that it's the exact same report no need in this case at least to create a different one to be faxed then the one that is e-mailed.

I'm sure Erika would have loved to answer you but she's stuck at the airport due to a flight being canceled. and another flight. and another flight.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged