Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Report not printing from Explorer (Read 3013 times)
NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Report not printing from Explorer
Oct 20th, 2006 at 8:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Not sure if this is a true Sesame (generated) issue or an Explorer issue.

I can send a report to Explorer, all 30 retrieved records print out to the screen, however if I do a "print preview" I show only one page with one record on it, and then explorer stops responding. I've tried doing a direct print from the retrieved records, and explorer locks up. The one time I did get something to print out it looks like maybe printer code.

I've tried this on three separate pc's with the same results. I can print anything from the net, and also records from another database.

Any thoughts? Am leaving work, but will return early Saturday morning. Thanks for any insights.

Fred

IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Re: Report not printing from Explorer
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 9:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Fred,

If you could, please send your application in to Technical Support  (support@lantica.com) with a description of the steps you take to see this problem.
We will need the .DB, and .DAT files for the application that is causing this problem, as well as the html file that sesame is generating.

Thank You,
Ben

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 1:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ben, I sent the files, and then also sent a follow-up email - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS FOR NOW.

Looks like it may be a Server issue. I can't open any databases - too many users - and I'm the only one here. Also, cannot access my \Sesame\dwgs\ files or my \photos\ files (per the .log file). This is probably what is hanging Explorer.

Trying to contact my SysAdmin to reset Sesame Server.

Regards,
Fred

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 2:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Back again - I now have access to my databases, but am back to my original problem of not being able to print out the report from Explorer. Darn, sure was hoping... Anyway, would still appreciate any help on this. I'll continue to explore on this end.

I rethought the part about the error message in the log file about not being able to access the \dwgs and \photos folders - 1. All pictures show up in the database as expected. 2. All pictures show up in Explorer as part of the report. That means those folders ARE accessible. Would Explorer be trying to access those folders again to actually send the info to the printer and somehow not be able to? Or would the info be resident in RAM since it was successfully sent to Explorer as an HTML file?

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 4:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, I'm headed in the right direction. I'm able to get out "short" reports (1-3 records) and everything appears normal. I did two reports each consisting of 3 records. When I tried to have one report with all 6 records Explorer goes into its "Program Not Responding" routine. Looks like a memory problem.

We just switched computers from one running Windows 98SE to XP Pro SP2. I'd point to that as a probable cause, except that might not explain why all three computers have the same issue, although now that I think about it, my computer is the only one I ever ran these reports from. In the past, I could easily send 50-60 records, complete with photos and prints, to the SAME printer I'm currently trying to send to.

So next question - how can I print more records? Memory reconfiguration? Is there a limit in XP Pro as to the number of records I can print? I wouldn't think so. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 4:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there any difference if you send the report directly from Sesame to the printer (instead of going through IE)? Is there any difference if you print the report by right clicking on the report .htm file and selecting "Print" from the right click menu? Is the driver for the printer installed locally? Is the print driver for that printer on the local computer the same as the print driver on the computer directly attached to the printer? Have you tried to browse to the images that are contained in the report individually, do they look okay?

Have you tried printing reports that are much much simpler (no images), but are also many records long? Could this be a problem with the print driver's ability to deal with these particular images? Can you see the thumbnails for the images in windows explorer?

Did you install the wrong driver for that printer when upgrading from 98 to XP? Rarely are they the same driver for the same printer across those two OSs.

It is also possible - if you have installed Office 2000, that the wrong HTML print driver is being used.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 6:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
You might also check both your local and networked print queues to see if you have one or more bad docs stuck in the queue.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 8:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Queues are empty. I can print "everything" else, including Sesame files (sans images), just fine.

No diff in sending report directly to printer.

No diff if I right-click .htm file and selecting "print".

Print drivers are for XP - on computer attached to printer.

Files/thumbnails look okay.

Can print reports without images fine. Don't believe these particular images are a problem - have been using them with this printer for some time. I am also able to print out up to four records, complete with images, without any problem. It's just any more than four -- almost like we're being timed out or something.

We have, but don't use Office 2003, not 2000.

How can I tell if I have a "wrong" HTML print driver?

Added later:
I just went through the 30 records I've been trying to print. I printed them in groups of two - worked perfectly. I was suspecting maybe a corrupted record, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also - these 30 records share a total of FOUR images. All 30 records will print out without the images, and each record will print with the correct image if done 2-3 records at a time.

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 12:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
PROBLEM SOLVED - but not totally understood.

I copied everything from the network to my pc and ran the program from there with the same results as before. I then took everything home and ran it there with the same results, eliminating network and printer drivers as the issues.

I then began looking at the individual records and images. I found several images to be rather large (181k vs normal 45-60k) so I resized these. I was then able to get more than the first record to be displayed in Explorer (preview report). I was getting the first 14 records, hanging on #15. I then looked into the database and record 15 had no image associated with it, so I put in a "false" one. I was then able to see up to page 20, whcih did not have an image either. I put false images in for all records that didn't have one, and was able to print out my entire report.

So, I get my report, but what if I don't have/want an image with a record? In the past, these records printed out fine without images associated with them. Our goal is to have an image with every record anyway, I just don't understand what might have changed.

Thanks to everyone who gave input in helping me problemsolve this. I learned a lot of things along the way.

Fred

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Fred,

What version of Internet Explorer is on your home computer? The report you sent into support Print Previews fine, both pages,  on an XP Computer with version 6.0.

-Ray
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2006 at 7:19pm by Ray the Reaper »  

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 1:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray - at home I'm using IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp2....

Just for clarification so that we're talking the same "Preview":
When I generate the report ReportName (Preview) EVERYTHING works as expected and I see all records on the screen, both the ones with and the ones without associated images. If I choose File-Print Preview I see only the first record (2 pages) unless I make the .jpg files smaller and ensure all records have an image associated with it. When I select Print is when the program hangs and I get the "Program Not Responding" message.

I didn't include the four images used with this report when I sent the files to you, so you are probably seeing the report without images, so naturally everything will work well. Would you like me to send them?

Regards,
Fred

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray, I just re-read your reply and missed the "both pages" part of your response. You should be getting "30" records retrieved.

Retrieval Criteria:
Equip: 5400-SS Super Single
Flag: /=

I will send the image files so you get the complete picture.

Fred

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 5:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Fred,

The "both pages" was the preview of the original HTM report that you had sent me. It only had a few records in it, and since I had no images to go with that report it only took up two pages.

Yes we are taking about the same preview, the one from inside IE.

I just ran the report on all 30 records and IE Print Preview shows me 25 pages with images on most of the pages. It took a little while to display them in the Print Preview window, still under a minute, but my computer was also runnng a few other tests at the time.

I just sent you an e-mail that has the report that I ran here and Print Previewed here just fine. Save it down to your computer and try to do a File->Print Preview. Let me know if it works.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #13 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 2:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good morning Ray,

I am able to view the report in Print Preview - there are 15 pages since I am unable to see the images. There are "placeholders" for the images. I'm still trying to figure out how to view the images. Must be some browser setting that I'm missing.

Did you do anything special to generate that report? Using the copies of the files that I sent to you I am still experiencing the original problem.

Fred

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 3:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Fred,

Ray is out sick today. He'll pick this up with you tomorrow.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print