Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Print out Q&A lookup table? (Read 6620 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Print out Q&A lookup table?
Reply #15 - Oct 27th, 2006 at 11:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
At the prompt, make sure you include the FULL PATH and FULL FILENAME including DTF extension.
Also make sure the database is closed.

Example: N:\Data\QA5\DB\Filename.dtf.

You will then get prompted for output option, select one of 6 including screen printer, std ascii, fixed ascii, etc.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #16 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 3:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry I couldn't make it to the user's group on Saturday; I had to work.

Anyhoo, when I click on QA4LOOK.EXE a command window opens, and the prompt appears.

Quote:
At the prompt, make sure you include the FULL PATH and FULL FILENAME including DTF extension.
Also make sure the database is closed.  Example: N:\Data\QA5\DB\Filename.dtf.

Yep.  I've put both the QA4LOOK.EXE program and the database (with both DTF and IDX files) into my C: root, and tell the prompt C:\INVOICE.DTF.

Quote:
You will then get prompted for output option, select one of 6 including screen printer, std ascii, fixed ascii, etc.

Unfortunately, this doesn't happen for me.  Upon hitting "enter" the command window closes, and a zero-bit file called QA4LOOK.TMP is created.

So I started some experiments, thinking maybe it's a problem with my database.  First, I removed all security (it was a password protected file).  No luck.

Next I removed all records.  Nope.

I then created a single record, and performed a null mass update.  No luck.

Then I did a recovery.  Success!  I got the prompt asking for an output selection, choise standard ASCII, and successfully created QA4LOOK.ASC.   YAY!

Just for fun, I made another copy of my "live" DTF, performed a recovery only, and tried again.  Back to crashing.  Removed security.  Crash.  Did a null mass update (the DTF still contains 30,946 records at this point).  Crash.  Performed another recovery.  Crash.  So by now I'm really starting to think it hates my records.  So I started removing records.  I used year of creation as my criteria, first getting rid of 2006, then 2005, and so on.  After each "remove" operation I did a Recover to "pop the bubbles" left behind.

After removing about 4000 records, QA4LOOK still crashed, but the TMP file left behind had some size to it.  Looking at it in a text editor showed me numerous lines filled with just quote marks.   Hmmm.  Making some progress, not just need to fill the empty quotes with the lookup table entries.  Back to whittling away records....

Long story short, when I had reduced the file to 10,719 records (file size about 16 MB) QA4LOOK worked again.  SUPER!

So, what have we learned from this?  Well, mainly, that I have way too much free time on my hands.

Thanks for the program, Bob!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #17 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 4:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Scott, sorry you could not make it on Saturday.  We were all set to help out with Q4Look and some report issues.

Re your latest tests with Q4Look
I don't recall any security, file size or record size limitation.  Needing Recovery could be an issue.
Since you are extracting the Edit Lookup Table, there should be no need to open ANY records.
You could removel all records but the table will still be there with all lines to be extracted.

May I suggest that it is possible that you did not include ".DTF" at the end when prompted for the database name?
In Q&A main program, it is not necessary to enter the extension, but IT IS NECESSARY FOR THE EXTENSION when using Q4LOOK.EXE. 

I just copied a Design Only so I had no records, entered filename.dtf and the extract worked fine.
Then I entered the same filename, without the ".DTF" and I got the same result as you, window closed with tmp file.
It is really easy to enter the filename without the extension.

I just added password protection, entered filename.DTF and extraction was good.  I was not prompted for a password which is not a problem since record data was not being accessed, only the lookup table.

I have not tried with a really large file or with a corrupted file that needed Recovery process, but again, just use an empty database with NO records.  Copy Design Only and run Q4LOOK.EXE against that empty database and be sure to include .DTF with the filename at the prompt.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print