Normal Topic Networking (Read 1185 times)
Larry

No personal text

Networking
Nov 1st, 2006 at 12:27am
Print Post Print Post  
I,m a newbie on networking and don't have a clue on how to start it up. Is there a way to start the server when windows xp loads? I am trying to start the server and start sesame loading my splash screen and macro all with one command. All i get is the sesame server box showing 0 of 1.
Do you have to start the server first and then open sesame, two seperate commands? I am not sure if the client can even connect. When i tried connecting from the client computer the system hung up.
I can;t find anywhere in the book about starting the server and then run  a sesame databse all in one command?
Thanks for any help on networking. I may have more questions later.
I have a licence for one extra seat. But on the cd all it has on it is the .txt file and a file named s_conf.
What do i do with this file?

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Networking
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:41am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Larry

I don't have time for all the details now, but most of the information is in the manuals. 
I will try to provide a skeleton overview to get you started, and others can help fill in the details as you try to do this.

General guidelines, based on Windows environment, with default Sesame settings:

1.  One system on your network should be designated as the Sesame Server station.  This machine would generally be running constantly so that it can "serve" the Sesame data to the other client machines.

2.  The Sesame Server should have lines in the Startup Folder that starts the Sesame Server when it starts up.
Something like this: C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe  -server ServerName:20000:20001.  This can be done with a single line batch file or a shortcut to a desktop icon would be better.

3.  Once the Sesame Server is started, it should not need to be stopped unless doing a Reconciliation to a database or if there is a need to shut down that machine.  Stopping and starting can be covered later.  (See Tips in November 2006 issue of Inside Sesame).

4.  On each of the clients, each Sesame user should have lines in their Startup folder that starts the Sesame Clients.  Something like this: C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -client ServerName:20000:20001.  This can be done with a single line batch file or a shortcut to a desktop icon would be better.

5.  The startup command lines in the Startup folders can also define a specific database to be opened.  It may be easiest to make shortcuts for the Server and the Client on the desktop, and then make a link to those shortcuts in the Startup folders.

6.  The s_conf file should be copied into the C:\Sesame\ folder on the Sesame Server workstation only.  The documentation may refer to s_conf.cnf file.  This is the same file.  Explanation for difference is not needed now.  It is a function of a Windows setting.
EDIT ED NOTE:  The s_conf file should be copied into the Current Working Directory (CWD) that is noted in the "Start In" field in the shortcut for the Sesame Server icon.  Default is probably C:\Sesame.  The original info indicated C:\Sesame\Program\ folder as that was the CWD on the installation I was looking at when I replied.  Sorry for any confusion.

7.  Make sure that all users on workstations use the Client icon to start Sesame and do not use the normal sesame.exe command by itself.  Again, make shortcuts on the desktop and the Start Menus. 

8.  Users should be trained to exit Sesame normally when they leave their stations.  This will disconnect them from the Sesame Server and that will make it safer to shut down the Sesame Server if necessary.

Gotta run, hope this was helpful
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:25pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:41am:
6.  The s_conf file should be copied into the C:\Sesame\Program\ folder on the Sesame Server workstation only.  The documentation may refer to s_conf.cnf file.  This is the same file.  Explanation for difference is not needed now.  It is a function of a Windows setting.

The s_conf.cnf file should be copied into the C:\Sesame directory, Not the C:\Sesame\Program folder. Since the Start In folder in a default install is C:\Sesame that is where Sesame will look for the s_conf.cnf file.

Larry wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 12:27am:
Do you have to start the server first and then open sesame, two seperate commands? I am not sure if the client can even connect. When i tried connecting from the client computer the system hung up.

Yes they are going to be two separate commands, or Icons. One to start the Server, which must be running in order for a client to connect, and the second to start the Client. You can start the Sesame Server when a person logs in by putting the Sesame Server icon in the StartUp directory.

The Sesame Server's Target just needs to say "C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -server ServerName", without the quotes and replace ServerName with the Computer Name of the Computer that is going to be running Sesame Server.

You can tell Sesame to connect as a client and open a particular application at the same time.
The Client's Target would be similar to "C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -client ServerName data\MySesameFile.db", without the quotes, replace ServerName with the Computer Name of the Computer that is going to be running Sesame Server, and "data\MySesameFile.db" would be the path to the DB file that you want opened.

For Example: If the Server Computers name was MotherShip and you wanted to have Sesame open automatically the file named Invoices.db that is in C:\Sesame\Data.

Then the Server Target would be
C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -server MotherShip

The Client Target would be
C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -client MotherShip Data\Invoices.db

If you also wanted Sesame to run a Macro named MonthlyBilling.mac which is in C:\Sesame then the target would be

C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -client MotherShip Data\Invoices.db -macro MonthlyBilling.mac

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 6:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray .... Thanks for correcting info re s_conf location.

To clear it up further,
Accepted: The s_conf file would go into C:\Sesame\ folder as a result of default installations.

But if shortcut to Server uses Current Working Directory (CWD) = C:\Sesame\Program\ folder,  should it go into the CWD folder instead? 

I have an installation where s_conf is in C:\Sesame\Program\ folder, but that is the CWD for the Server, not C:\Sesame.
And it appears to be workking correctly for many months.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 6:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Bob,

Yes if the CWD, the directory specified in Start In field of icon, has been changed to be C:\Sesame\Program then that is where the s_conf.cnf file should go.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for confirming that.

I will modify my initial reply to include that information. 
I knew I had it in \Program\ folder, but forgot that it was not the default CWD.

I would also suggest the the nstallation instructions for the s_conf.cnf file (sesame network inst guide.pdf) should be modified to explain that.  The instructions would be more correct to say copy the file to the CWD that is noted in the Server shortcut.

Thanks again....

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Larry

No personal text

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 2:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the help on my networking problem. It appears that i was doing things right. But the client computer still will not connect. The client computer can see the folders of the server computer and will run sesame but will not run the database unless the server computer closes it's database. I am trying to do this when time allows at work. Hard to find the time. Meanwhile we are running only on the server computer. I will try to figure it out this weekend.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 3:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Larry,

There should now be two sesame icons on the server computer. One for the Sesame Server and one for the Sesame Client.  Make sure that the one for the Sesame Client is running as client to the Sesame Server.

The basics of your icons should be as follows, with MotherShip being the name of the computer...

Sesame Server icon on the Server computer
Target: C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -server MotherShip
Start in: C:\Sesame

Sesame Client icon on the Server computer
Target: C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -client MotherShip

Sesame Client icon on the Client computer
Target: C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -client MotherShip

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com