Normal Topic Two Dimensional XLookup (Read 861 times)
carsten

Carpe Diem

Two Dimensional XLookup
Nov 16th, 2006 at 10:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi folks,

I would like to do a 2D XLookup, i.e. fetch elements in records that have keyA and keyB valid. Any idea how to do this?

thanks

Carsten&&The Houseman&&"Smiling improves your face value"&&"A Clean House is a Sign of a Wasted Life"&&"Rather Big and Hard then Micro and Soft"

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Two Dimensional XLookup
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 10:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can either combine the elements into a hidden element and use XLookup on that element, or you can XLookupSourceListAll with one of the elements as the key and returns the value of the second "key" element and use a conditional to eliminate the record values that do not match.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2006 at 2:57am by The Cow »  

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

FlipGilbert

Running Ver 2.6.4

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 2:56am
Print Post Print Post  
Hello carsten
I think the easy answer is no, but like Mark had said there are work around’s. I have an inventory form that has one part number with several locations on the same form. Another form looks up the inventory form and makes adjustment to the inventory of that item in a specific location.  It can be done you just need to think outside of the box. If I may ask, what are you trying to accomplish? 

Flip

It's not what a man says that matters or how he says it, but what he does and how he does it.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 3:52am
Print Post Print Post  
I have used Mark's sugestion of combining elements into one hidden element for many years, and it works great.  Simple to do, minimal program in On Element Change in both elements to update the Invisible, Read Only element.

But another method may be to use multiple Retrieves.  Sesame allows you to retreive a Result Set on one key, and then you can do another retreive for the other key just looking at the previous Result Set, not the entire database. 

When you press F7 to get to the Search Mode, look under Search Commands for "Search in Current Results".  You can do this any number of times, using a different set of retreive specs each time.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged