Normal Topic New Sesame User-merging and subforms. (Read 667 times)
charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

New Sesame User-merging and subforms.
Nov 21st, 2006 at 5:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
A long time Q&A user and beginning Sesame user (I will try to keep this short:)
We have two Q&A databases that I have translated with no apparent problems-looks great.  What I am contemplating is merging the two and creating a subform based on the following criteria:  One database tracks our equipment inventoory and the other tracks repairs made to this equipment.
The two database forms have elements in common, ie. Make, Model, Serial Number for example.

I would like the subform to reflect the Repairs,  with the serial number - which is unique to each piece of equipment - to be the relational data spec.

I have tested this and have had a problem when redesigning the .dsr file and saving it as a new application.  The background of the main form fills the entire window so the subform can not be seen.  When redesigning the form and saving it, then previewing it, the changes to the backfill sizing are not saved, though font changes, colors, etc. are saved.

I'd also like to be able to use tabs for the subform eventually.  I'll continue trying to get the redesign to save properly...meanwhile, any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

We're really looking forward to working with Sesame.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: New Sesame User-merging and subforms.
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 7:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does the subform appear on the Gray area around the form? If so this is the canvas and an element placed on it will not appear when you preview the form. What you will need to do is resize the form to be big enough that you can place the subform element on it, then move the subform element onto the main form.

If you have a look at the sample file Gems in SDesigner, you should be able to see what I mean

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 7:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,
Thank you for the prompt reply.  I just got back in and will refer to the "Gems" sample and get to work on it ASAP.
Many thanks! Wink

IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,
Many thanks...worked like a charm.  I have impressed my co-workers and my detractors are now showing signs of respect...a temporary condition, I'm sure  Cheesy

I need to refine a few design features, but the data in the merged programs appears to be flawless...to say I'm relieved would be an understatement.  It took me 6 months to con my supervisor into letting us purchase Sesame...worth every groveling minute of it.  Not the first time I sacrificed my dignity for this outfit  Grin

IP Logged